What's new

1924 Beacon set

The wife and I had a free Saturday, which dosen't happen very often, so we went on a road trip. Long story short, we drove about 350 miles, hit about 10 flea markets and antique shops that we've never been to before. I saw a lot of razors, Super Speeds, Techs, Slims, and a boat load of SEs but nothing I wanted. Then the next to the last shop I saw this in a case, at first I thought it was just an Old Type in a nice case. The price was good so I asked the lady if she would get it out for me. The price tag was covering up the "presented by" on the inside of the lid and every thing below that, also the blade case was upside down. When she handed it to me, I realized what it was, needless to say, I brought it home.

Here's some pictures of the only razor I bought yesterday. It appears to me to be unused but I have no way of knowing for sure.

20180819_103128.jpg

20180819_110120.jpg

20180819_111422.jpg

I saw a lot of razors, Super Speeds, Techs, Slims, and a boat load of SEs but nothing I wanted.
Sounds like the "new acquisitions" thread here... This is all we see several times a day, every day. I wish people show more uncommon razors besides a dime a dozen boring stuff.

Thanks for the photos! Nice set, congrats!

Interesting, so who were these presented to and by whom?
Gillette made a ton of these low end presentation type razors so they could compete with the low end razor market. These Gillette razors had expired patents that would free other razor makers to make cheaper copies without penalties, so Gillette just used their leftovers or other unused products to make a killing by renaming the razors with hotel or major brand names for the sake of profits. Beacon was such a set too. Randy Picker did a great article on Gillette's business strategy in 2010. here is the great link
Gillette’s Strange History with the Razor and Blade Strategy

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Congratulations on the razor, it is lovely razor and case. Something that I have never seen before.

Gillette made a ton of these low end presentation type razors so they could compete with the low end razor market. These Gillette razors had expired patents that would free other razor makers to make cheaper copies without penalties, so Gillette just used their leftovers or other unused products to make a killing by renaming the razors with hotel or major brand names for the sake of profits. Beacon was such a set too. Randy Picker did a great article on Gillette's business strategy in 2010. here is the great link
Gillette’s Strange History with the Razor and Blade Strategy

Thanks for the information and the link. Also, welcome back, I learned a lot about my Toggle from you.

Top Bottom