What's new

1920 Gillette Pocket Edition Question

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
On the 1920 Pocket Edition, would all of the baseplates have a serial number like @Achim's example? I was about to buy one but the seller didnt see a serial number anywhere on it and hasnt furnished me a picture. Also, is there another was to tell if the set is complete?

Thanks,
Adam.

Yes, if it doesn't have a serial number then it wasn't made in 1920. Most likely made after the introduction of the New Improved in 1921, they stopped serial numbering Old Types at that point.

Sometimes the blades cases are mismatched, i.e. not from the same period as the set/razor. Other than that it should be fairly easy to determine if it's a complete/original set. Achim's site is a great source of information.

Yes, if it doesn't have a serial number then it wasn't made in 1920. Most likely made after the introduction of the New Improved in 1921, they stopped serial numbering Old Types at that point.

Sometimes the blades cases are mismatched, i.e. not from the same period as the set/razor. Other than that it should be fairly easy to determine if it's a complete/original set. Achim's site is a great source of information.
World class information and Gillette history resource. We should be proud that he's a B&B member.
We also appreciate your great knowledge and expertise on Gillette razors and traditional wetshaving.

KeenDogg

Thank you Edgar, I thought that would a red flag. Thank you Alex as well. Achim is a great guy as you both are in my book.

Cordially,
Adam

World class information and Gillette history resource. We should be proud that he's a B&B member.
We also appreciate your great knowledge and expertise on Gillette razors and traditional wetshaving.

Nah, we appreciate your great knowledge and expertise. 8 years helping and sharing your knowledge, now that's impressive, Alex. :thumbup1:

Thank you Edgar, I thought that would a red flag. Thank you Alex as well. Achim is a great guy as you both are in my book.

Cordially,
Adam

Thank you, Adam.

KeenDogg

proxy.php

This is what I've recieved so far from the seller. I'm trying to get a pic of the top of the case. I took a guess at it being a 1920 pocket edition on account of the handle, blade case, and felt. I could be wrong though. It happens A LOT! [emoji23]

Cordially,
Adam

BTW, it looks legit, just that it wasn't made in 1920 and you can't accurately date it because it doesn't have a serial number. It's a nice looking set.

KeenDogg

So, let me get this straight: 20 model; thin cap, serial, and striped case. 21-28; thick cap, no serial, basket weave case.

The case looks like a later one with the continuous hinge. The catch is different to the earlier ones.
I agree with Edgar these later cases were used for NEW sets as well like the 501 Special sets.

BTW, it looks legit, just that it wasn't made in 1920 and you can't accurately date it because it doesn't have a serial number. It's a nice looking set.

The only real difference between this 1920s set (no serial number)

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920s Pocket Edition No501-B.jpg

and this one made in 1920

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920 Pocket Edition.jpg

is the head. The one made in 1920 is a thin cap (1915-1921 in the pic) the other is the thick cap version (1921-1928)

proxy.php

The cases won't help you to determine in which period it was made. Both were used to hold the two different Old Type versions. They even came with NEWs in the '30s

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1936 (G3 on blade) No501 Special basket set.jpg

The rest is correct.
Thanks for taking time to do all this work/research, I know it can be confusing to many and your explanations with added insight really help

So is this a thick?
proxy.php

Jon - R41.13;DE89LBL, some old Gillettes. Croma, Astra & Voskhod Blades. Imperial Barber Pre Shave, Soap & Aftershave

Top Bottom