What's new

1917 Gillette Flare/Bell Knob Aristocrat (Replated in Rhodium)

Hey guys. Today I just received a 1917 (Serial No. D768663) Gillette Flare Knob/Bell End Aristocrat. It has been beautifully replated in rhodium. No cracks and no bent teeth.... but also just the razor (no case). Got it off the bay and I could tell from the pictures that the vendor and replater (ocrazorman) posted that it was a beautiful replate job and rare specimen. Now that I have it, I can't believe just how immaculate this razor is.

$IMG_0002.jpg$IMG_0003.jpg$IMG_0007.jpg$IMG_0008.jpg$IMG_0004.jpg

I can't wait to see how this shaves. I love the shave I get from the Old Type Single Ring, Bulldog, and Big Fellow. I'm hoping this will be more of the same experience. I didn't take any pictures of the underside of the cap or the top of the baseplate, but the replating work is just as beautiful in those areas as well. I would love to score a 1914 or 1915 of one of these someday, since those are my grandparents birthyears.... but I am very happy to have landed this one regardless. Talk about adding a bit of luxury to your daily shaving experience!

Ben

More pics. The other razor is a 1930's Gillette New SC w/ Common Bar Handle.... replated by our own Krona Kruiser in bright nickel, which also came in the mail today. Sam's (Krona Kruiser's) work is just as beautiful as you can see:

$IMG_0001.jpg$IMG_0015.jpg$IMG_0011.jpg$IMG_0014.jpg

Ben

Thanks guys. I paid about the same for this as I would for a Feather AS-D2 stainless steel DE razor, which I've been wanting to get for some time. I'd wonder if I made a good choice by getting this one over the Feather, but I'll probably get the Feather down the road someday anyway (it's the B&B way)..... so it doesn't really matter. I guess in the back of my mind I know that there are many Feathers out there.... but only so many of these babies left.

Ben

These pictures are awful - you should send the razors to me so I can fully inspect and report to our B&B friends. :)

I agree with you there..... that the pictures just can't do this razor justice and you really need to see it in person to fully appreciate the beauty of this one..... but I don't think a full inspection by a third party is necessarily warranted in this case :biggrin1: .

Ben

They did a fantastic job. A beautiful razor. I can't wait to hear how well it shaves.

Just finished shaving with it. I used a brand new Gillette Platinum blade. Seems to be a very close shaver and just like my other Old Type open combs rather senstive to the proper blade angle. It's a very close shaver. Three pass shave with no touch ups and the result was BBS with a little burn and a handful of weepers. I like the balance of my Old Type Bulldog a little better, and the rhodium is so slick that the knurling is a little slippery, but still a sufficient grip that I didn't feel like I was going to drop the razor (God forbid). Overall, a great shave and the thing's looks are just unbelieveable..... one of the most elegant looking razors ever IMO.

Ben

Gorgeous razor and glad you enjoyed the shave. I'm going to be sending a few razors off to Krona this next week; I can already feel the anticipation setting in and your photos aren't helping. :biggrin1:

I think the Aristocrat was a good idea, and the replated New looks great too. Also, it's my understanding that Krona mechanically strips the old plating off the heads. I think that's the better way rather than using heavy chemicals on raw brass.

Beautiful razors. I am sure someone would trade you a Feather razor for either of those right now if you offered up that trade. Not to derail this thread but does anyone know if Krona has a list of his currently available offerings somewhere?

Really sharp, both of them. That Aristocrat is something special. The re-plate on the NEW is crazy good as well. I've been thinking about sending my Goodwill to Krona Kruiser one of these days, and seeing this is pushing me further in that direction.

Beautiful razors. I am sure someone would trade you a Feather razor for either of those right now if you offered up that trade. Not to derail this thread but does anyone know if Krona has a list of his currently available offerings somewhere?

Here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Stnd-Big-Fellow-Otto-Roth-LC-Schick-Injector

But he sells out fast. Usually within hours.

I have my great uncles Ever Ready 1912 SE off to Krona Kruiser right now for a bright nickel replate. He's done some others for me in the past as well. No doubt professional work. Great guy to deal with too.

Ben

Last edited:
Top Bottom