What's new

1916 Illinois Autocrat Pocketwatch

The little pocket on the right side of most jeans was originally intended to be a watch pocket.
Exactly so, for most if not all Levis.
He could get a fine stainless steel chain that's not too obtrusive, and hook it to a belt loop. (Oops. It's a gold watch, so maybe not SS.)
My watch pocket typically holds a Kent folding mustache comb.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
can't see any way of rocking a pocketwatch in jeans

Sure you can...that's what that little pocket above the right front jeans pocket is for. I used to wear one in jeans when I was a kid. I've seen people ask what the fifth pocket in jeans is for...I just shake my head.

proxy.php

I have recently inherited my grandfathers pocket watch. It's an Illinois Autocrat with sn 2921019 which puts it in the second run of the Autocrat model in 1916 of which only 300 were made in this run. In searching online, I can't seem to find any with the same face as mine. It winds, runs, sets, and keeps fairly accurate time. I am in the process of finding a reputable shop to service and oil the watch.

I am not sure I intend to wear it, but it's awesome having something mechanical that was made in the early 1900's that still works to this day. It's got soul! Very similar to the 1911 that was made in 1914 that is in our family.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Very nice watch, Brian. I'd be hesitant about wearing it also, but I'd just have to, for a time or two, going somewhere that it didn't have a chance of getting any damage. Great family heirloom...I love it!

That is a beautiful watch. For servicing, I can recommend Father Time antiques in Chicago. They are very knowledgeable about pocket watches -check out their website. However, unless you plan on actually using it, it may not be worth it to have it cleaned and oiled.

Top Bottom