What's new

1912 repair advice

I have a Gem 1912 with a loose blade cover. The spring is intact, it looks to me like the tab under the blade bed that applies tension to the spring isn't keeping enough pressure on the spring. In other words, it's sprung. Not much, but just enough to let the lid rattle when it's in the down position.

Any ideas as to how to fix this? I think I could wedge it somehow to enable me to shave with it, but I'd much prefer to repair it if possible.

Getting another 1912 really isn't an option - this is an open-comb Damaskeene, not something you find every day....

If this is the razor I think it is, then this is exactly why I passed on the auction. I had no idea how I would fix it either.

That's the one. It will look nice on my shelf if I can't get it fixed, but I'd like to get it shave-worthy.

Royal Mail was speedy! Auction closed 4/26 and it arrived today.

Well, if you really wanted a perpect fix, you could completely take the razor apart by removing the two pins/rivets keeping that tab assembly in place. You could then readjust the tab. You would then have to use some straight razor pins to permenantly reattach the tab assembly once again.

The problem with trying to fix or readjust the tab is that there is no room for you to bend it back the other way to create the tension you need.

1912 type razor heads are made up of 4 pieces and two pins/rivets:
1. The top head piece
2. The guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly
3. A tension spring underneath the head
4. A tension tab

The tension tab goes into the guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly from the bottom. The tension spring holds the tension tab via it's own tab (From you description this seems to be what needs to be readjusted). The tension spring is held in place by two pins/rivets.

The top head piece of any 1912 type razor can easily be taken off and put back on since the guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly has two pins cut into it to hold the top head piece. Removing the top head piece from these pins
allows it to come completely off.

I hope this all makes sense.

Well, if you really wanted a perpect fix, you could completely take the razor apart by removing the two pins/rivets keeping that tab assembly in place. You could then readjust the tab. You would then have to use some straight razor pins to permenantly reattach the tab assembly once again.

The problem with trying to fix or readjust the tab is that there is no room for you to bend it back the other way to create the tension you need.

1912 type razor heads are made up of 4 pieces and two pins/rivets:
1. The top head piece
2. The guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly
3. A tension spring underneath the head
4. A tension tab

The tension tab goes into the guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly from the bottom. The tension spring holds the tension tab via it's own tab (From you description this seems to be what needs to be readjusted). The tension spring is held in place by two pins/rivets.

The top head piece of any 1912 type razor can easily be taken off and put back on since the guard bar/razor bed/handle attachment assembly has two pins cut into it to hold the top head piece. Removing the top head piece from these pins
allows it to come completely off.

I hope this all makes sense.

I does, but I'm not confident that I can strike the old rivet heads off cleanly without gouging the plating, much less effecting the repair and getting it back together. I think I'll look around for a couple of old beat up 1912s to practice on.

What's a good source for new pins?

I does, but I'm not confident that I can strike the old rivet heads off cleanly without gouging the plating, much less effecting the repair and getting it back together. I think I'll look around for a couple of old beat up 1912s to practice on.

What's a good source for new pins?

I have a heavily brassed 1912 that is suffering a similar fate, and will require similar work if you want to give it a go and practice on this one. Some brass welding rod should make good cheap rivets. Nickel silver may look better on the good razor.

You can even keep the razor whether it works or not.

PM me your address if you want it.

Phil

Salty,

Cut a wedge out of an eraser, and insert that along the tab from the rear of the head. Trim off the excess that pokes through.

This will keep the tab against the blade.

Been using a 1912 like that for over a year :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Here is another to consider. Given it is a Damaskeen and it sounds like you want to keep it, why not let the pros do it? I took one (it was a Lather Catcher - old bugger) to a local jeweler. One side, the pin had broken so much flopping around. He deftly inserted another rivet, carefully pounded it home and all was fine. I had the same concerns about scratching the finish and he did a great job.

As someone mentioned a jeweler is an option if you are unable to complete such repairs yourself. I am not sure how much they would charge you though. I would not "strike" the old rivet heads off. I use my dremel to grind/drill them out. I first grind the top of the rivets to make them slightly flat, then I can drill them out. Most of the time if I grind them down well enough, they easily come out. You are correct, you do have to be careful not to damage the surrounding plating.

Salty,

Cut a wedge out of an eraser, and insert that along the tab from the rear of the head. Trim off the excess that pokes through.

This will keep the tab against the blade.

Been using a 1912 like that for over a year :smile:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Would you happen to have a picture of this repair/razor? I am having problems visualizing this but would like to do this to one of my razors. :001_smile

inkcoffee,

They are certainly worth a thousand words :smile:

Hold the razor vertically with the comb facing away from you.

You will see the tab sloping forwards - insert the piece of eraser from the rear, forwards along the tab.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I actually have a cased OC 1912 damaskeene, but didn't know they were so scarce. It's my favorite one to look at late at night when alone in my "shave den man cave".

Last edited:
inkcoffee,

They are certainly worth a thousand words :smile:

Hold the razor vertically with the comb facing away from you.

You will see the tab sloping forwards - insert the piece of eraser from the rear, forwards along the tab.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Thanks!

Top Bottom