What's new

1912 OC mod?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm darn sure I've read something about this -- I read every page of the SE forum over Xmas last year -- but I can't find it now.

Ron's praise for his Damaskeene OC got me thinking. Coincidentally I have a 1912 here on the desk, getting ready to PIF it to a brother. So I looked at Ron's pic of his razor and then I looked at this one and it looks like they may have just cut off the bar joining the teeth.

It's not quite that, I'm sure. The Dammy OC looks like it has 12 teeth; the 1912 has 13. Whether that's the equivalent of "rivet counting" I'm not sure.

I have another 1912 I was also thinking of PIFing but I could be convinced to try turning it into an OC. Only paid $2.50 for it, but on the other hand I don't want to wreck it just to prove that was a bad idea.

Am I nuts? On the verge of enlightenment?

It's my retirement plan. It'll probably be worth three bucks when I'm 65.

O.H.

So I looked at Ron's pic of his razor and then I looked at this one and it looks like they may have just cut off the bar joining the teeth.
Cutting the wire will not turn your 1912 into an OC Damaskeene. You haven't altered the geometry, you've just given it sharp pointy teeth. It'll shave just like it does now, but not as smooth gliding.

The early OC Damaskeene has different geometry - different baseplate, more curved top cap, different gap and exposure.

You can't paint a Corolla with Corvette paint to make it faster ;-)

The 1912 shaves like it is OC. I consider it to be an OC because the bar doesn't touch the face. It does clog more when clearing long growth than a true OC does though.

Removing the bar would make the teeth much more susceptible to bending though. With the bar, they all support each other. Without it and they have to go it alone. And the teeth are longer, thinner, and less wide than teeth on other OCs.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Yeah, I'm in the camp that doesn't think "freeing" the comb teeth will give you the same shave. I've got a closed comb Dammy and an OC Dammy, and I find the shaves very different. I need to get my lazy butt off my lay-z-boy chair and go take some side-by-side photos....that may shed some light on head/angle differences.

Top Bottom