What's new

1912 Gem

Had my first shave today with the 1912 Gem that my wife found that used to be her dad's. Used a Gem personna blade. It turned out fabulous. No pulling, no nicks, no weepers, no burn, and BBS after two passes. I went ahead and did three just because it was so cool.

Had my first shave today with the 1912 Gem that my wife found that used to be her dad's. Used a Gem personna blade. It turned out fabulous. No pulling, no nicks, no weepers, no burn, and BBS after two passes. I went ahead and did three just because it was so cool.

Welcome to the SE family. The Gems are great, and greatly under-rated on this board!! I use a DE near daily, but am fairly convinced that the SE Gems give a superior shave.

I use both, because I love to experiment, and keep this hobby exciting!! :001_tt1::001_tt1:

Now that you have a 1912, you need several Micromatics, a Featherweight, and a G Bar. That 1912 will be awful lonely by itself.

Uncle,

Congratulations! I own around 120 vintage Gillettes and several DE Merkurs, and I can tell you that the best shave I get is from a SE 1912. By far my favorite shaver. The only thing that comes close is a thick-handled Gillette Tech.

DL

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ok, I have a coupla GEM's, a Damaskeene & Junior. What is the Featherweight? I like the shave, though I am still mostly DE with the occaisonal SE or Injector ..

Is there a respository of SE info?

Welcome to the SE family. The Gems are great, and greatly under-rated on this board!! I use a DE near daily, but am fairly convinced that the SE Gems give a superior shave.

I use both, because I love to experiment, and keep this hobby exciting!! :001_tt1::001_tt1:

Now that you have a 1912, you need several Micromatics, a Featherweight, and a G Bar. That 1912 will be awful lonely by itself.

Ok, I have a coupla GEM's, a Damaskeene & Junior. What is the Featherweight? I like the shave, though I am still mostly DE with the occaisonal SE or Injector ..

Is there a respository of SE info?

attachment.php

Photo courtesy of "DunEdinRanger"

The "Featherweight" is a lighter weight Gem, that looks to be patterned closely after the G-Bar.

I have 5 Gems currently, and I would rank them as follows:

1) Gem 1912
2) Gem Featheweight
3) Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip
4) Gem Micromatic Open Comb
5) Gem Micromatic Clogpruf.

For reasons I don't understand, I have yet to get a good shave from the Clogpruf. I would think it should shave very similar to the Bullet Tip as they are both safety bar models, but at least for me, this is not the case.

Anyway, the Featherweight is an incredible shaver, that I greatly enjoy using. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom