What's new

1911 Problems

Hi! I've heard many references to the problems common in 1911's but not specifics.

What are these common problems one should consider before purchasing their first 1911?

They need to be broken in.
Cheap or even some factory magazines can cause failures to feed. A lot of people get Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat magazines.

Some purists think pistols with external extractors, full length guide rods, or any caliber besides 45acp aren't "real" 1911s. Sig Sauer 1911s even look different than the original design. I'm not that picky.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...Some purists think pistols...or any caliber besides 45acp aren't "real" 1911s...
Should have read, “besides 45acp & .38 Super...” :)

I think that the sheer number of 1911s & 1911 manufacturers, many of whom tweak their offerings for the sake of exclusivity, contributes greatly to the notion that 1911s are inherently problematic. I mean, the 1911 has been ‘covered’ more times that the Beatles’ hit, Yesterday.

Can’t speak through personal experience, having never owned anything but government-sized 1911s, but I have to wonder if the advent & popularity of compact & sub-compact 1911s may contribute, in no small fashion, to the idea of, again, problematic 1911s. Or perhaps non-.45 or .38 Super chamberings???

Personally, every 1911 I’ve owned, including internal* extractor Kimbers, which do leave the factory with tighter tolerances than many (most?) production 1911s, have run or ran like scalded dogs ... and the same holds true for friends & relatives who have owned or do own everything from Colts to Norincos & everything in between...

*Many Kimber owners did experience major issues with their external-extractor 1911s ... wasn’t long before Yonkers resorted back to the tried & true internal extractor.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I use Wilson mags., but that's just because Bill did the custom work on mine. McCormick mags. are excellent also.

Like Bill B. said...break in is required on any one of them.

You just need to put a few hundred rounds through it and see what its preference is for a particular load. Recoil springs can be changed for different power loads to get reliable function. Feed ramp issues can cause problems but that's an easy fix.

I have had several, springfield, kimbers, rock island. I have two left, both Les Baer's, a UTC, 5" and a stinger commander, both 45. I will never be without them, i can't remember, have issues that stick in my mind. Spend the money on good mags

My Kimber runs great (even through the break-in period). I have a Wilson Combat mag, but it was because I got it cheap. I run the standard Kimber mags (which some claim are garbage). When it comes to ammo, most ball ammo will run fine. You have to experiment with hollow points, as some 1911's are picky about which ones they will feed reliably.

After doing some research, I'm wondering what makes Wilson Combat so great that they can charge two or three times more than other custom 1911 companies?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had several, springfield, kimbers, rock island. I have two left, both Les Baer's, a UTC, 5" and a stinger commander, both 45. I will never be without them, i can't remember, have issues that stick in my mind. Spend the money on good mags
There are things on my body I would trade for a Les Baer. You are a blessed man.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Amateur gunsmithing/parts swapping probably accounts for many of the tales of the 1911s finicky nature. Other than that, as has already been mentioned, properly functioning magazines, ammo that feeds well and springs matched to the ammo used covers most other problems. Get those issues ironed out and the 1911s run as well as anything out there. I run mostly Wilson Combat mags but also have other varieties that function reliably as well. I have a Springfield Armory that has been customized/tinkered with over the years that runs reliably and a Series 80 Colt that's been lightly modified that runs well to. Both are 5 inch .45 ACPs.

334AFD6C-D065-44E5-964F-CFF938948816.jpeg
AD96B8CA-F9CA-4929-9DEC-50C0583AE1F5.jpeg

Ruger SR 1911s.
.45 Commander (top)
10mm Government (bottom)
Both box stock except for the grips.
No problems. Both need more than a moderate dose of Rem Oil or similar lube to do their best.

Top Bottom