What's new

1909 ABC Pocket Edition?

Hi, I thought I'd share some pictures of what I got, and see if anyone can confirm it is what I think that it is. I'm trying out a homemade light box, too. I need more light, but it shows promise. Anyway, I think I have a 1909 ABC Pocket Edition, serial number B 11 87 21. I haven't seen pictures of this style handle in a plain gold case before, so I thought it was worth posting for discussion. I got it from ebay. I can't believe how clean and nearly perfect it is, especially considering its age. It even came with three correct, unused blades. It has something all over it that seemed like hair spray, both on the razor and the outside of the case, but it cleaned off with a little soapy water. Here's the pics.

$P2161838.jpg$P2161834.jpg$P2161833.jpg$P2161832.jpg

Yup, the serial number would be 1909 by our current best estimates, and the flip-latch closure jibes well with that date. As for the Scroll handle in the Plain case, Gillette appears to have been a little fast and loose with the Pocket Editions that didn't have exact stylistic matches, like the Empire or Floral designs. So finding your set that way wouldn't bother me at all.

She's a real looker! :thumbup1:

Thanks guys. It is amazingly pretty. I am going to use it someday...

Glad to hear it is plausibly a matched set, too! I paid $130 shipped. Seem reasonable? I think it would have gone for more if the seller had labelled it correctly. She just had it listed as Old Gillette Pocket Razor, and described it as "either gold or brass". When I saw the Gillette tag was still in great shape on the bottom of the lid, I figured it would be in nice shape. It was in better shape than I expected, though. I couldn't believe how good the gold looked after washing it. It's the oldest and definitely the nicest in my little collection. Me happy.

Very sweet find for sure, those Plain Style gold plated cases arent to common, That's a Beauty for sure. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

So I've been playing with my homemade light box and getting better results. If anyone has any suggestions, comments or ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty much a hack. The box is a simple cardboard box with the sides and top cut out and covered with translucent paper. I can cover any of the cutouts to provide directional light. In this case, the right side was covered, and the top and left side were lit with a desk lamp.
$P2181853.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom