What's new

1907 Combination set

Reading through that site, I still am not finding any 1907 combination sets or standard sets advertised.
The Gillette script under the snap flap and none anywhere else is appropriate for 1906-08 450 sets, the razor is a 1907, and the s/n stamping matches my other 1907s.
The blade holders are somewhat odd, but I've picked up another in a 1908 set that lacks the diamond, but has the "Gillette Blades" on top and striker on bottom, so I am sure they were produced prior to 1909. At any rate, I picked up a few more cardstock blade holders, and again, none can fit the slots.
I'm going to probe the holder slots to measure their outline, and pluck some of the fibers to see if they are identical to my other 1906's.

R

romsitsa

Hello Domminigan,

this is the catalogue page from 1908. It has the script on the tab, thick box sides and I think even the patent pending is visible.
The catalogue from 1906 has the same set, but with sharp/dull cardboard boxes.

Yours is maybe an early example to test metal blade boxes on the market.

Adam

proxy.php

Please go back to the site, and scroll down all the way..... what I believe is yours will show up as Model #457 of 1906.... this is the picture from his site. If this is indeed your set, you are missing the mirror.
Gillette Single ring 457 1906.jpg

Cheers,
Kevin

It was very common for the pasteboard blade boxes to be replaced with the metal ones. They simply wore out very soon. It is my understanding that the very early metal blade boxes did not have the logo. It was added after the trade marking process was completed.

Kevin

R

romsitsa

Kevin,

i think the mirror in the 457 was glued directly to the box and on top of it was a silk covered cardboard. So Domminigans set is a 450 or a 457 with the cover in place, imho.

Adam

Hello Domminigan,

this is the catalogue page from 1908. It has the script on the tab, thick box sides and I think even the patent pending is visible.
The catalogue from 1906 has the same set, but with sharp/dull cardboard boxes.

Yours is maybe an early example to test metal blade boxes on the market.

Adam

proxy.php
That is somewhat what I am thinking. Unlike all the others, however, my box does have tapered sides, not straight like that one. I have seen one of the thick, straight sided boxes just like that one, but don't remember if it had patent lettering.
Perhaps the patent fell through?

Please go back to the site, and scroll down all the way..... what I believe is yours will show up as Model #457 of 1906.... this is the picture from his site. If this is indeed your set, you are missing the mirror.View attachment 777900

Cheers,
Kevin
The velvet fits close to the case, and has tooth imprints of the razor and imprints from the soap and brush cases in it, there is no room for an additional mirror.

It was very common for the pasteboard blade boxes to be replaced with the metal ones. They simply wore out very soon. It is my understanding that the very early metal blade boxes did not have the logo. It was added after the trade marking process was completed.

Kevin
This was my first thought, and why I initially tried to put cardboard blade holders in it. When I tried... And I tried with all of them that I have from 1904 onward... They are all too thick to fit. Forcing them in would just destroy them.
I am positive that it did not come with any of the known production cardboard blade holders. The wood gap is just too small.
The reason I'm going to needle probe them to measure them is that sitting here at work, I noticed the slots look like they have a relief where the blade holders sit for the expanded top and bottom of the metal holders. I want to find out if these were cut specifically for these blade holders or if they were pressed in there for so long that it created an indent.

Kevin,

i think the mirror in the 457 was glued directly to the box and on top of it was a silk covered cardboard. So Domminigans set is a 450 or a 457 with the cover in place, imho.

Adam
I believe I searched for a ribbon at one point and gently pulled at the velvet. I'll have to check again tonight because I just don't recall for sure. At this point I'm guessing that it's a 450... Or some fleeting model or unsuccessful marketing release we haven't found yet.

Top Bottom