What's new

1904 Double Ring

I had to share my most recent "rescue" with the world. Something this beautiful just needs to be seen.

The 1904 Gillette Double Ring

proxy.php

This Double Ring is one of just over 25,000 produced in 1904 with the "PAT. APL'D FOR" on the handle and also serial numbered. The first 55,000 produced contained no serial number and the later ones starting in 1905 were identified with the actual patent date of Nov. 15 '04. Therefore, this is the rarest of the 1904 varieties.

proxy.php

This razor is in near mint condition and and includes the "Chicago, Ill." version of the "Gillette Sales Co." case and the original "DULL" and "SHARP" blades cases, as well as the original instruction book. The Chicago case was only used with the Double Rings, while the "Times Square" cases were used with both the Double Ring and the newer Single Rings starting in 1906.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The bottom of the case has a silver guild illistration of one of the blades and states that it contains a "Handle and 12 Blades" for a very pricey $5.00!

proxy.php

proxy.php

The instruction booklet, titled "The Gillette Way", is in nice crisp near mint condition itself. I hope to make some copies of the individual pages.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The leather covered case is in fantastic condition and the slide clasp and hinges are in perfect working order.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Enjoy!!

I am adding a couple of shots of the disassembled razor including the serial number of 23569 verifying that it is one of the 25,424 serial numbered "PAT. APL'D FOR" 1904's that Krumholz's mentions in his book.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
A beautiful razor no doubt. I love the quote from the booklet "six new blades will be given for twelve dull ones if returned in good condition free from nicks and rust". What a difference from the way most companies sell products today. This is "sustainability" being offered 80 years before the term was invented! I'm guessing the dull blades would have been melted down and used to make new ones (surely they didn't just regrind & hone?!).

A beautiful razor no doubt. I love the quote from the booklet "six new blades will be given for twelve dull ones if returned in good condition free from nicks and rust". What a difference from the way most companies sell products today. This is "sustainability" being offered 80 years before the term was invented! I'm guessing the dull blades would have been melted down and used to make new ones (surely they didn't just regrind & hone?!).

Would you believe I haven't even read the booklet yet? I just bought this yesterday and have been so excited that I have done much more than sit and look at the razor and case. I plan on making copies of the booklet to post in the Instructions thread. I still can't believe it was a 1904.

very nice catch, congratulations! where did you find this one?

At an antique shop. It wasn't cheap (the most I have ever paid for a razor) and my wife took some convincing that I needed to get it, but I couldn't stand seeing it sitting there in that case waiting for some sleazeBay power seller to find it and ship it off to someone who wouldn't appreciate it.

Thanks Achim! That saves me the trouble of having to make a copy. The booklet is in such perfect condition that I was hesitant to open it flat to make the copies. Now I can keep it looking like new.

Well actually, if you have a very early book, you should notice that the pages are actually different... just compare the first pages on your book and Achim's scan. I haven't gone through to see if the content is different.

Well actually, if you have a very early book, you should notice that the pages are actually different... just compare the first pages on your book and Achim's scan. I haven't gone through to see if the content is different.

I don't have it with me right now, but I do know the first and last pages are exactly the same as what Achim posted. It makes sense since Achim's is a 1905 and is also came in a Chicago case.

I have an pre June 1904 with a Chicago case and the instruction booklet is a lot less concise than the 1905 booklet Achim has. I see now, looking that the last page of your booklet that it is indeed just like Achim's. What was the serial number on your razor?

I have an pre June 1904 with a Chicago case and the instruction booklet is a lot less concise than the 1905 booklet Achim has. I see now, looking that the last page of your booklet that it is indeed just like Achim's. What was the serial number on your razor?

I don't have it on me, but I seem to remember it started with a 69. I was going to try to get some shots of the SN too, but it was getting far too dark last night. I'll see if I can post it at lunch.

Congratulations on your find and a big thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post about it! :thumbup1:

Sorry, I was looking at it upside down earlier. :blushing: The SN is 23569 which jives with it being one of the 25,424 Double Rings with SN's and pat. apl'd for stamp.

Sweet score! How much was that bad boy?

Let's just say way, way more than I have ever spent rescuing a razor from a shop. I know I'll have to eventually sell it to someone that can better afford it (one of the terms of the "rescue" set forth by SWMBO :blush: ), but until then, I'm going to enjoy it and take tons of pictures. And yes, try it out a couple of times just to say I did. :biggrin:

Great find and thank you for sharing the picture with us. And I thought it was neat shaving with a 58 year old razor (not that you'd actually use the 1904...). 105 years old. Fantastic.

Nathan

Great find and thank you for sharing the picture with us. And I thought it was neat shaving with a 58 year old razor (not that you'd actually use the 1904...). 105 years old. Fantastic.

Nathan

I am definitely going to use it. At least once, maybe twice. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom