What's new

18 year old recommendations

If you're going a little dressier in your style I'd seriously consider something like Chanel Platinum Egoiste or for a "luxury soap" feel, Prada Amber Pour Homme. Cerruti 1881 Pour Homme would be something to consider if you want something with a similar character to Eau Sauvage but a little more modern and inexpensive. Versace do two really nice scents that lean more casual and regularly get me compliments, Pour Homme and Man Eau Fraiche. Great dumb reaches when you want something uncomplicated, like at the gym! And if you find you like more classic scents and don't mind smelling quite different, Versace L'Homme is definitely also worth sampling!

Dunhill Icon might be another worth trying, it has a mature feel in the right way for a younger guy and a sort of cheery playfulness about it that says: "I'm sophisticated, but also confident enough in myself to not take myself too seriously!" Or at least that's what I always feel it conveys when I'm dressed more smartly and wearing it!
Vacation is coming up so ill definitely will go sample these.

I recommend Club de Nuit Intense Man (the EDP) over Montblanc Explorer. Both are Creed Aventus clones but you will get your moneys worth and then some out of CDNIM which is a great performer.

Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel and Versace Dylan Blue are all really similar. They are definitely overplayed but I very rarely run into people who wear fragrances at my job or in public. If you want a “blue” fragrance not a lot of people wear you could try Missoni Wave or Polo Deep Blue. For a budget option you could go Davidoff Cool Water Intense (smells like mandarin orange and coconut before dying down to ambroxan). I’ve also heard lots of good things about Ralph’s Club by Polo, which is their take on the mass appealing complement pulling scents that have been overdone.

Eau Sauvage is very citrus forward and like others have mentioned is a mature scent. If you want a modern version of an old school type of scent I would recommend Gucci Guilty Black which is a fougere but in a more modern style.

I’m also gonna piggyback on Versace L’Homme. It’s a great 80s scent that deserves to be mentioned with the likes of Drakkar Noir, Hugo Boss Number One and of course, the scent of the gods YSL Kouros.

Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel and Versace Dylan Blue are all really similar. They are definitely overplayed but I very rarely run into people who wear fragrances at my job or in public.
Thoughtful post, Baltimoron. Interesting point about not running into folks who wear fragrances at your job or in public. To me, and maybe just me, kind of fits in with my concerns about me giving any advice to an 18 year old guy. I assume 18 year old guys asking for suggestions for scents are dating or trying to, and that folks of that age who are dating are going to come across a lot more scents than someone my age is going to or the general public, except for the fairly intense interest I personally have taken in these things.

To me, the best scents to wear while dating, like the best clothes, are rather subject to the whims of trends/fashion. And as Oscar Wilder said, "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." And as I have quoted John Molloy on clothes, if you dress badly (whatever that is), people (read here young women) will not assume you are choosing to do so, they will assume you not know how to. That said, I am not sure how much of a risk it is to wear scents that fairly popular/big sellers.

I do not know most of the scents you mention. I suspect that the ones that seem to be trying to be like Aventus, are on the right track. I am just not sure that the whole "blue scent" thing has not run its course, which is not to say ambroxan, so much, I think more calone, whcih I associate with Cool Water (although from your description, the intense version is rather different and sounds good) and I would guess is significant element in Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel, and Dylan Blue. But I admit I am not that great at the exact chemistries and have not been keeping up.

Anyway, nice post!

I recommend Club de Nuit Intense Man (the EDP) over Montblanc Explorer. Both are Creed Aventus clones but you will get your moneys worth and then some out of CDNIM which is a great performer.

Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel and Versace Dylan Blue are all really similar. They are definitely overplayed but I very rarely run into people who wear fragrances at my job or in public. If you want a “blue” fragrance not a lot of people wear you could try Missoni Wave or Polo Deep Blue. For a budget option you could go Davidoff Cool Water Intense (smells like mandarin orange and coconut before dying down to ambroxan). I’ve also heard lots of good things about Ralph’s Club by Polo, which is their take on the mass appealing complement pulling scents that have been overdone.

Eau Sauvage is very citrus forward and like others have mentioned is a mature scent. If you want a modern version of an old school type of scent I would recommend Gucci Guilty Black which is a fougere but in a more modern style.

I’m also gonna piggyback on Versace L’Homme. It’s a great 80s scent that deserves to be mentioned with the likes of Drakkar Noir, Hugo Boss Number One and of course, the scent of the gods YSL Kouros.
I am really set on Club de Nuit Intense. I havend heard of some of those you recommended, so thanks!

So i went to a store to try some out and with 2 friends. They didn't have all of them but here the "results"

ones i liked
-d&c light blue pour homme forever edp (this one my friends didn't like the grapefruit smell. but i really liked it)
-jean paul gaultier ultra male edt
-d&c the one edp
-mont blanc exporer (got a sample of this one and asked around at a party if they liked it, Everyone liked this one)

One i wana give another try
-hermes d'orange vert edt 50ml

ones i am not really interested in anymore at the moment.
-prada l'homme
-d&c light blue intense pour homme edp
-dior eau sauvage.

I am set on club de nuit intense and club de nuit sillage. I am still intrested in the dunhill icon to.

Thoughtful post, Baltimoron. Interesting point about not running into folks who wear fragrances at your job or in public. To me, and maybe just me, kind of fits in with my concerns about me giving any advice to an 18 year old guy. I assume 18 year old guys asking for suggestions for scents are dating or trying to, and that folks of that age who are dating are going to come across a lot more scents than someone my age is going to or the general public, except for the fairly intense interest I personally have taken in these things.

To me, the best scents to wear while dating, like the best clothes, are rather subject to the whims of trends/fashion. And as Oscar Wilder said, "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." And as I have quoted John Molloy on clothes, if you dress badly (whatever that is), people (read here young women) will not assume you are choosing to do so, they will assume you not know how to. That said, I am not sure how much of a risk it is to wear scents that fairly popular/big sellers.

I do not know most of the scents you mention. I suspect that the ones that seem to be trying to be like Aventus, are on the right track. I am just not sure that the whole "blue scent" thing has not run its course, which is not to say ambroxan, so much, I think more calone, whcih I associate with Cool Water (although from your description, the intense version is rather different and sounds good) and I would guess is significant element in Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel, and Dylan Blue. But I admit I am not that great at the exact chemistries and have not been keeping up.

Anyway, nice post!
This is a very fair point, I admittedly didn’t get into scents until my mid 20s so it might be different. I teach 8th graders and they all wear Axe with a few exceptions who I’ve taken under my wing.

Cool Water Intense has little to none of that “classic” Cool Water dna so if you aren’t a fan of the EdT it’s worth a sample.

Cool Water Intense has little to none of that “classic” Cool Water dna so if you aren’t a fan of the EdT it’s worth a sample.
I would day that I was a big fan of CW edt and may still be. Seems a little overplayed. I like the idea of orange and coconut.

So i went to a store to try some out and with 2 friends. They didn't have all of them but here the "results"

ones i liked
-d&c light blue pour homme forever edp (this one my friends didn't like the grapefruit smell. but i really liked it)
-jean paul gaultier ultra male edt
-d&c the one edp
-mont blanc exporer (got a sample of this one and asked around at a party if they liked it, Everyone liked this one)

One i wana give another try
-hermes d'orange vert edt 50ml

ones i am not really interested in anymore at the moment.
-prada l'homme
-d&c light blue intense pour homme edp
-dior eau sauvage.

I am set on club de nuit intense and club de nuit sillage. I am still intrested in the dunhill icon to.
To some the grapefruit scent in the Light Blue line smells like sweat so it can be a little divisive. Ultra Male is a great scent and it lasts forever. With D&G The One just be aware that it very much an intimate scent so people will only smell it if they are very close to you. But it’s probably the best “date night” scent on the market.

ASN,

Do yourself a service and avoid the "nickel-and-dime" fragrances worn by men of your years. "Everyone wears it" should be a hint that it has been "done to death" (overplayed).

Consider wearing fragrances usually worn by 30-year-old men. You will be considered mature for your age and perceived that way. Believe me, you won't regret being seen as an experienced individual that is "wise beyond his years".

The "little boy" image wears thin very quickly.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just a few classics:

Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro Bay Rum

Lustray Spice

RazoRock The Dead Sea

Black Ship Grooming High Seas

Top Bottom