What's new

18 year old recommendations

Yo i am 18 and looking to buy a fragrance. The only one i have now is joop! jump. Currently Interested in these 3. mont blanc individuel, mont blanc explorer and eau sauvage. I am also wondering how good the preformance is on the sauvage reformulation also worried about if i am to young to where something like that. The next one i am buying will go with me for a while so i really wanna make a good choice.

The question is are these good choises or should i look a bit more around? Most important thing is that it at least last 6 hours the But i would prefer 8 hours. I am almost deadset on mont blanc individuel.

Eau Sauvage is a classic scent. But a bit formal and mature for an 18-year-old. Just an opinion. If you have tried it and love it, buy all means, wear it. I wear scents that are geared for a younger man.

As for longevity, I don't think you will get 8 hours from any of those three choices.

How about the current Dior Sauvage EDT?

Eau Sauvage is a classic scent. But a bit formal and mature for an 18-year-old. Just an opinion. If you have tried it and love it, buy all means, wear it. I wear scents that are geared for a younger man.

As for longevity, I don't think you will get 8 hours from any of those three choices.

How about the current Dior Sauvage EDT?
The thing is i know every guy my age who wears fragrance wears Dior Sauvage, versace ores or paco rabanne so i wanna stay away from those ones. I am fine with carrying a mini refillable perfume atomizer around if i have to but obviously the longer it preforms the better. I have seen reviews on Mont Blanc individuel that say that it does last about 8 hours tho. But since its summer i have been thinking if eau sauvage would be better now and i have been wanting to start tabling in more dressed up looks since witch i have been looking at the sauvage. Just like you said its formal and mature.

Montblanc is a great frag house and Individuel is a great scent. I have two bottles. But it's shelved for summer. For the heat I like Starwalker, Legend Spirit, and Explorer Ultra Blue.

Looks like you are doing your research and I commend you for not wanting to smell like everybody else. Sounds to me like you'll pull Eau Sauvage just fine.

Montblanc is a great frag house and Individuel is a great scent. I have two bottles. But it's shelved for summer. For the heat I like Starwalker, Legend Spirit, and Explorer Ultra Blue.

Looks like you are doing your research and I commend you for not wanting to smell like everybody else. Sounds to me like you'll pull Eau Sauvage just fine.
Ill first look into those ones. But thanks! I might just get the sauvage then.

My personal opinion is that the Eau Sauvage may be a little old school for a younger guy. I think I agree with you that Sauvage has been over played.

At my age I am no one someone of your age ought to be asking what scent to wear though!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Cologne being a very personal thing, it's going to be important for you to actually sniff the potential candidates ... preferably when they are sprayed on you so you see how they react to your skin (they can smell a bit different on different people depending on skin chemistry yada yada).

You can get samples of the more obscure ones but ... many of the more commonly-available colognes are available for sniffing at larger brick-n-mortar stores.

I'll toss out a favourite from years ago when I was getting into colognes ... Burberry Brit. Give it a sniff.

At my age I am no one someone of your age ought to be asking what scent to wear though!

1654621517945.png

"Get off my vetiver"

Welcome to B&B, Sir ASN!!

You might get a tester card with a few juices and try them out on a close mate or friend, just in case it's something that they would say "this smells like my grandfather'!! Most major department stores have cards and tester bottles readily available.
Enjoy!

(For my part, so envious!!)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Good luck with your selection. I'm happy to see someone as young as you are on the forums. Be a rebel and get some Atomic Age Bay Rum from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Comes in aftershave and EDT. It's not your grandfather's Bay Rum! 😄

Reactions: ASN
Well, at that age I went shopping with someone I was romantically interested in and used her as a sounding board. Ended up with something that drove her wild. Worked out okay for me!

I agree with Tricky's advice, even if that person has no romantic interest in you! BTW, I am glad to see someone of relative youth on these fora, too.

There must be some You Tube videos addressing this very question. Jeremy used to be pretty good for what was trendy for particular age groups, but he has not posted on what would be good for someone this young in three years. I think one, at least when young, has a number of goals in choosing a scent. First, what will be pleasing to individuals I am trying to attract. Second, what will indicate to people that I am reasonably up-to-date. (You will get some different advice around here, but my advice is that similar to clothing, if you choose a scent that seems "inappropriate," folks will not assume that you know that are choosing to wear it anyway, but that you do know know what you are doing.) Third, and this should come into play only if the first two criteria are met, something you like. There are scents I like, but that I would not wear out of the house, for various reasons. Of course, i can get away with wearing a lot of things a young person could not. I suppose I could wear English Leather or British Sterling because the harken back to my own youth!

I Googled lists of good scents for 18 year old mean, and was appalled at the some of the suggestions. For instance, I would consider Aqua de Gio way over done. Issy promotes the joke, 1994 called and what's its cologne back. I wore a lot of Issey back in the day, but I would not suggest it for a young guy now. I do not even think I would wear it ironically. I have only recently started wearing Aramis again. I think enough time has finally passed.

All of that said. how about Versace Dylan Blue? It is seems pretty safe to me. I think it was popular several years ago, but did not get over played.

Cologne being a very personal thing, it's going to be important for you to actually sniff the potential candidates ... preferably when they are sprayed on you so you see how they react to your skin (they can smell a bit different on different people depending on skin chemistry yada yada).

You can get samples of the more obscure ones but ... many of the more commonly-available colognes are available for sniffing at larger brick-n-mortar stores.

I'll toss out a favourite from years ago when I was getting into colognes ... Burberry Brit. Give it a sniff.

View attachment 1468624
"Get off my vetiver"
hmm Ill definitely need to get some samples. Makes sense. Ill also look for a Burberry sample then.

I agree with Tricky's advice, even if that person has no romantic interest in you! BTW, I am glad to see someone of relative youth on these fora, too.

There must be some You Tube videos addressing this very question. Jeremy used to be pretty good for what was trendy for particular age groups, but he has not posted on what would be good for someone this young in three years. I think one, at least when young, has a number of goals in choosing a scent. First, what will be pleasing to individuals I am trying to attract. Second, what will indicate to people that I am reasonably up-to-date. (You will get some different advice around here, but my advice is that similar to clothing, if you choose a scent that seems "inappropriate," folks will not assume that you know that are choosing to wear it anyway, but that you do know know what you are doing.) Third, and this should come into play only if the first two criteria are met, something you like. There are scents I like, but that I would not wear out of the house, for various reasons. Of course, i can get away with wearing a lot of things a young person could not. I suppose I could wear English Leather or British Sterling because the harken back to my own youth!

I Googled lists of good scents for 18 year old mean, and was appalled at the some of the suggestions. For instance, I would consider Aqua de Gio way over done. Issy promotes the joke, 1994 called and what's its cologne back. I wore a lot of Issey back in the day, but I would not suggest it for a young guy now. I do not even think I would wear it ironically. I have only recently started wearing Aramis again. I think enough time has finally passed.

All of that said. how about Versace Dylan Blue? It is seems pretty safe to me. I think it was popular several years ago, but did not get over played.
thanks for the info, Very usefull. Ill put Versace Dylan Blue on my my list. Also what about Hallowen man x?

I looked up Halloween man X. Interesting. Described in various ways, including as an amber fougere, whatever that is. Is said to be a gourmand, with a big roasted coffee note. Said to be sweet and powdery. with lemon in the top notes, and to dry down with more of the coffee and whisky notes coming to the fore. The perfumer is Nicolas Beaulieuu, who also did a Spicebomb and Invictus, neither of which I know, but I suppose Invictus has been popular. Apparently popular and quite inexpensive. I personally do not love gourmands, usually. I actually kind of like the sound of this one.

Reactions: ASN
If you're going a little dressier in your style I'd seriously consider something like Chanel Platinum Egoiste or for a "luxury soap" feel, Prada Amber Pour Homme. Cerruti 1881 Pour Homme would be something to consider if you want something with a similar character to Eau Sauvage but a little more modern and inexpensive. Versace do two really nice scents that lean more casual and regularly get me compliments, Pour Homme and Man Eau Fraiche. Great dumb reaches when you want something uncomplicated, like at the gym! And if you find you like more classic scents and don't mind smelling quite different, Versace L'Homme is definitely also worth sampling!

Dunhill Icon might be another worth trying, it has a mature feel in the right way for a younger guy and a sort of cheery playfulness about it that says: "I'm sophisticated, but also confident enough in myself to not take myself too seriously!" Or at least that's what I always feel it conveys when I'm dressed more smartly and wearing it!

Last edited:
I looked up Halloween man X. Interesting. Described in various ways, including as an amber fougere, whatever that is. Is said to be a gourmand, with a big roasted coffee note. Said to be sweet and powdery. with lemon in the top notes, and to dry down with more of the coffee and whisky notes coming to the fore. The perfumer is Nicolas Beaulieuu, who also did a Spicebomb and Invictus, neither of which I know, but I suppose Invictus has been popular. Apparently popular and quite inexpensive. I personally do not love gourmands, usually. I actually kind of like the sound of this one.
what exactly is a gourmand?

Top Bottom