What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

18 different British Gillette Aristocrat and Popular sets - a partial historic overview and my collector’s journey (pics galore)

Northstonehill

Contributor
Fellas, thank you all so much for all your kind comments, warmly appreciated here in winterly Denmark! - Yes, I did spend some time on this but it was really a lot of fun to do.

In a couple of weeks I will receive the latest refurbishment package back from Cap Murphy and Chris Evatt, and then I will be able to post the full overview of all these sets together!

And yes, Dan @Hannah's Dad, you are very right Sir, I have been acquiring a bit of late. Like you guys I tried to become a minimalist but I simply could not get under 40-50 razors. So I decided to do the opposite and see how many different British Aristocrat sets I can compile :lol1:

Hello Peter, nice collection. The change from metal blade banks to plastic dispenser was not an economical decision, it was the selling point of the gen3 design.
This is why gen3 Aristocrats in No 15 cases make little sense to me. These metal cases won’t fit the dispenser, wich was part of the “shaving system”.

Adam

It's Hedley

Contributor
Peter, this is why B&B is such a wonderfully informative and addicting forum. Because of members like you, members like me spend a small fortune trying to emulate your collection! All kidding aside, I am so impressed with your collection and the knowledge you have shared with the B&B community. A great read.

I have owned all four generations of British Aristocrats. I am the opposite to you in that I enjoyed the gen 2 shave the most of the 4 generations. This is why for anyone reading this post, don't assume that one generation of Brit Crat will be best for you, buy all four and enjoy.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and collection. It will serve to educate members for years, I have no doubt.

Cheers!

For sure far from all the British made Aristocrat sets are inhere - over in the big leagues my razor collecting friend and role model Dan holds 31 different sets (and counting) so there’s still a ways for me to go!
:blushing::blushing::blushing: I'm blushing, my friend!

I still wish we knew what those other 31 cases were really called...

Northstonehill

Contributor
Hello Peter, nice collection. The change from metal blade banks to plastic dispenser was not an economical decision, it was the selling point of the gen3 design.
This is why gen3 Aristocrats in No 15 cases make little sense to me. These metal cases won’t fit the dispenser, wich was part of the “shaving system”.

Adam
Adam, that was news to me - great info, thanks a lot! Very interesting that already back then Gillette were talking about shaving “systems”!

Peter, this is why B&B is such a wonderfully informative and addicting forum. Because of members like you, members like me spend a small fortune trying to emulate your collection! All kidding aside, I am so impressed with your collection and the knowledge you have shared with the B&B community. A great read.

I have owned all four generations of British Aristocrats. I am the opposite to you in that I enjoyed the gen 2 shave the most of the 4 generations. This is why for anyone reading this post, don't assume that one generation of Brit Crat will be best for you, buy all four and enjoy.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and collection. It will serve to educate members for years, I have no doubt.

Cheers!
Thanks Thomas, both for your kind comments and for letting me have the 2nd generation maroon! You are a true gentleman, sir!

And incidentally, I fully agree with you. YMMV prevails always and thus also for Aristocrats!

Thanks for the great pic's and corresponding history lesson.
FABULOUS COLLECTION!! :a29: :a29:

Thanks for the information and photos!!
Great, now I have to search for an Aida! Love me my fourth gen. Great post.
Pat, BigJ, Tehnothing, thanks deeply for your kind comments. And yes, that Aida is a hoot!

:blushing::blushing::blushing: I'm blushing, my friend!

I still wish we knew what those other 31 cases were really called...
Thanks, Peter! :thumbup1:
Andon and Dan, just putting honor and praise where it is due, guys!!

Awesome thread! I really enjoyed reading it. This is a great summary, and I’ll book mark it.
Looks like you had a ton of fun with this project! Now that it is done, what’s next? :001_unsur

bobmsp

Contributor
Excellent and informative post, Peter. I've owned all 4 generations of Aristocrats because, like you, I figured that I should find my favorite. I've disposed of my 3rd and 4th gen razors and am trying to decide what to keep between my 1st gen, 2nd gen, and #47 Popular set.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree that the 1st gen OC is my favorite razor (perhaps of all time). However, my #47 may give me a slightly better shave. I'll probably use the better part of February to explore those three razors to discern my favorite(s).

I'm looking forward to seeing the complete set when you've assembled it.

Bob

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Contributor
Ambassador
Excellent and informative post, Peter. I've owned all 4 generations of Aristocrats because, like you, I figured that I should find my favorite. I've disposed of my 3rd and 4th gen razors and am trying to decide what to keep between my 1st gen, 2nd gen, and #47 Popular set.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree that the 1st gen OC is my favorite razor (perhaps of all time). However, my #47 may give me a slightly better shave. I'll probably use the better part of February to explore those three razors to discern my favorite(s).

I'm looking forward to seeing the complete set when you've assembled it.

Bob
Bob, I also found the Popular to be smoother than the 1st Gen OC — though both are incredible shavers.

Strong post. I also think the British Aristocrats are the most beautiful razors ever made from an aesthetic and mechanical perspective. I also try to be a minimalist when it comes to collecting things, but I make an exception with Aristocrats. Whenever the minimalist urge hits me and I get rid of some of them there's always a bit of regret.

Probably due to their age and the way they were manufactured there is a noticeable degree of difference even within the same model type. Some just have better tolerances or at least work better with your individual tolerances. Having said that, as a rule I find that the flat baseplate models are noticeably better shavers than the diamond baseplate models.