What's new

18 Days Straight Razoring

I just want to add-- not the last word, but a word of encouragement.

@smorgana , I don't doubt that you'er getting good shaves. When I started out, trying to learn to hone, about a year and a half ago, I was using almost exactly the same tools. A 3k/8k Sharp Pebble stone from Amazon and CrOx on a nylon strop. Somewhere along the line I picked up a natural stone that was popular with the youtube crowd. I had no magnification, no real way to get the stone flat, and no real idea what I was doing. But I managed to get some edges that would shave (CrOx will cover up a LOT of honing sins) and enjoyed those shaves more than any shaves I'd done before with carts or electrics.

If you stick around you'll get lots of advice. More than you want, really. Most of it will be good, some of it will be very good, and some of it will be contradictory--even the good advice. You don't have to follow any of it, of course--what you're doing now is working for you, so you can afford to take it all under consideration and incorporate what you want.

I will say, though, regardless of how you go about things, in a year you're going to look back at the great shaves you're having today and marvel at how much better they've gotten.

Legion

Staff member
Sharpening blades is very boring to me so anyone who can rub a blade on a rock and get a shave they enjoy, with no fuss and the minimum of paraphernalia, is doing it right, in my view.

I know for some the sharpening is their favourite thing and it’s a hobby in itself. And that’s cool too, of course.
For me shaving is just cutting whiskers off my face. It's the hones and honing that makes it interesting. I mostly just shave to hone.

I can not now explain why I had no learning curve learning to SR shave --. I watched a video of someone demonstrating a shave, I picked up a straight razor and had at it.
No fear. I did not cut up my face as I've heard stories. I got a great shave. I assume that great shaves now will lead to fantastic shaves later. I have actually entertained the thought that it's past life memory -- because that's how easy it came to me.

When I say I got a great shave, or the best shave ever -- I have almost 50 years of alternate shaving methods behind me to compare.

ah.. honing... that does have a learning curve, so I must hone my own razors...
Yes like you I also picked it up quickly, probably because I was doing three passes right from the start.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've just had my 18th morning of shaving with a straight razor. That's about 20 shaves, and they've all been great. Prior to that I shaved a couple weeks with what might be called a shavette -- you cut a double edge blade in half and insert it into the holder-- I'm not counting that as a straight razor as it's quite different to shave with.

I have accumulated 7 razors -- 5 of them vintage, for a different razor every day -- though one is going to need some extra love before I can shave with it, and that was great fun too. I'm enjoying buying old razors and cleaning them up and honing them.. so I've been bitten by that bug too.

I have cut myself just once... The first time I shaved with a 1/2 inch wide razor... It's a little different than the wider ones.

I'm over my germaphobia with regard to used razors. I have a routine now -- run it through the ultrasonic cleaner with dawn liquid and distilled water -- this cleans it very well -- dry it -- dunk in some isopropyl alcohol for a minute-- let it air dry. What could go wrong?

Today I shaved with my first, I guess you call it a square toe razor -- it has a 90 degree corner, rather than the rounded corners of my other razors -- it was great.

The other nice thing is my wife thinks this interest is just fine.. she likes the smooth face :)

Good going - keep it up. The 1/2" (commonly referred to as 4/8) can be a bit tricky at first but I find them to be my favorites along with the 9/16 blades. Maybe put it away for a while and come back to it later on in your learning process. Small blades are very agile (the sports cars of razors) and you can really get around your face with them. Also, a great benefit is that you can find them cheaper than the larger blades. A common complaint is that you have to clean lather off the blade more often is over rated. Really, how long does it take to wipe on a damp sponge?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sharpening blades is very boring to me so anyone who can rub a blade on a rock and get a shave they enjoy, with no fuss and the minimum of paraphernalia, is doing it right, in my view.

I know for some the sharpening is their favourite thing and it’s a hobby in itself. And that’s cool too, of course.
I too find honing to be incredibly boring. I use lapping film and a pasted balsa progression. All, save two, of my razors are honed to extreme sharpness and I strop on pasted balsa dnd leather after each shave and never need honing again and I like that. Eventually, I will have to hone the two miscreants I suppose but don't look forward to it.

As @steveclarkus said, 4/8 can be challenging. Very lightweight and nimble. In my experience also prone to biting. Not something I'd recommend to start with, but can be great once you get the hang of them.

Many of the Swedish manufacturers made 4/8 razors in the thousands so they can be found in decent condition for reasonable prices. Although not as reasonable as they used to be.

On the other hand 3/8 razors are like a formula 1 car versus a bus. Using a 3/8 I can count the number of blood free shaves on the nails of my left index finger. I'll get proficient with the toothpicks in time though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As @steveclarkus said, 4/8 can be challenging. Very lightweight and nimble. In my experience also prone to biting. Not something I'd recommend to start with, but can be great once you get the hang of them.

Many of the Swedish manufacturers made 4/8 razors in the thousands so they can be found in decent condition for reasonable prices. Although not as reasonable as they used to be.

On the other hand 3/8 razors are like a formula 1 car versus a bus. Using a 3/8 I can count the number of blood free shaves on the nails of my left index finger. I'll get proficient with the toothpicks in time though.

There was a booklet from "back in the day" that made its rounds on B&B regarding straight razors and shaving that recommended the 4/8 as a beginner razor for youths. I'm not sure I would agree with that though. I started out with larger blades and worked my way up to the smaller blades. I've nerve cut or even scratched my face with one and do much prefer the 4/8 and 9/16 over any other size and rarely use anything larger. They are just easier and quicker for me and perform better for those inconvenient places.

There was a booklet from "back in the day" that made its rounds on B&B regarding straight razors and shaving that recommended the 4/8 as a beginner razor for youths.

That would sort of make sense insofar as when most boys first start shaving they are mostly removing fluff. So a smaller, lighter blade would probably be fine.

I know with my old man beard, trying to use a 9/16 or 5/8 with a novice's technique was not a fun combination! :p

I generally have no problem with anything from 4/8 to 13/16. I find larger razors up to 8/8 to be somewhat unwieldy but still usable. As previously mentioned though the little 3/8s are a different beast altogether.

I have somehow acquired a modest collection of Swedish razors and most are 4/8 or 5/8 and these are fantastic shavers. The few smaller ones though...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That would sort of make sense insofar as when most boys first start shaving they are mostly removing fluff. So a smaller, lighter blade would probably be fine.

I know with my old man beard, trying to use a 9/16 or 5/8 with a novice's technique was not a fun combination! :p
I suppose so. You need to get to the point where you are shaving by feel and aren't thinking about what you are doing first. Just don't toss the razor yet as you may end up liking it. I got my first one, a Hinkels, quite by accident. I didn't read the full description and I was sorely disappointed when it came. I just put it away for a few months before using it and when I did, I started buying the small blades on purpose. The fellow I have bought all my razors from did great restorations and scales and he started calling them "Steve razors" because his other customers wanted large blades so I got good deals on some really fine razors. He relocated from LA to Idaho and hasn't started his business up again and I need another razor like a hole in the head anyway. He is crazy as an out house rat and we remain friends. That little Henkels was the first razor I bought from him so I acquired a fine razor and a fine friend out of that one mistake. Anyway, keep at it and eventually you will find it to be the greatest shaving ever.

Just don't toss the razor yet as you may end up liking it.

That ship has sailed. :p

My beard is quite coarse (in my defence, my skin is not sensitive as well), and my face is reasonably lined, so bigger heavier blades move more easily though my whiskers. Even if my technique were to get to the point that a smaller blade was as effective, I fear my love of chunky steel would preclude me from buying them anyway. :D

Top Bottom