What's new

18 Days Straight Razoring

I've just had my 18th morning of shaving with a straight razor. That's about 20 shaves, and they've all been great. Prior to that I shaved a couple weeks with what might be called a shavette -- you cut a double edge blade in half and insert it into the holder-- I'm not counting that as a straight razor as it's quite different to shave with.

I have accumulated 7 razors -- 5 of them vintage, for a different razor every day -- though one is going to need some extra love before I can shave with it, and that was great fun too. I'm enjoying buying old razors and cleaning them up and honing them.. so I've been bitten by that bug too.

I have cut myself just once... The first time I shaved with a 1/2 inch wide razor... It's a little different than the wider ones.

I'm over my germaphobia with regard to used razors. I have a routine now -- run it through the ultrasonic cleaner with dawn liquid and distilled water -- this cleans it very well -- dry it -- dunk in some isopropyl alcohol for a minute-- let it air dry. What could go wrong?

Today I shaved with my first, I guess you call it a square toe razor -- it has a 90 degree corner, rather than the rounded corners of my other razors -- it was great.

The other nice thing is my wife thinks this interest is just fine.. she likes the smooth face :)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Stop it before you go blind!

Welcome to the gentlemanly art. Sounds as though you are already addicted.

Welcome to the world of straights. A Square point razor is a proper terminology. Not that I'm one for using proper words. But you being new I figured I'd set ya on the right path.

Learning to hone a razor is something you should wait on. Learning to shave with a properly honed razor from a pro at first is the best way to learn. That way you know what a proper edge is like. When you are new to honing you will be shaving with less-than-perfect edges and that's not a good thing.

Enjoy the fun and ask questions if you have any. After your first 100 shaves is when you really start to understand. After the second 100 shaves, you will know you didn't understand much when you were at 100 shaves. :) Stick with it and don't let the razors pile up too much. When you end up with over 300 razors you will still think you have room for more. Don't ask how I know.

Welcome to the world of straights. A Square point razor is a proper terminology. Not that I'm one for using proper words. But you being new I figured I'd set ya on the right path.

Learning to hone a razor is something you should wait on. Learning to shave with a properly honed razor from a pro at first is the best way to learn. That way you know what a proper edge is like. When you are new to honing you will be shaving with less-than-perfect edges and that's not a good thing.

Enjoy the fun and ask questions if you have any. After your first 100 shaves is when you really start to understand. After the second 100 shaves, you will know you didn't understand much when you were at 100 shaves. :) Stick with it and don't let the razors pile up too much. When you end up with over 300 razors you will still think you have room for more. Don't ask how I know.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be contrary, but I'm doing fine in both honing and shaving. I've learned to shave. I'm getting great shaves at the present time. My honing skills are also fine. Every cooking and pocket knife in my house is razor sharp now.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be contrary, but I'm doing fine in both honing and shaving. I've learned to shave. I'm getting great shaves at the present time. My honing skills are also fine. Every cooking and pocket knife in my house is razor sharp now.
If you're getting great shaves and edges now, imagine how good they'll be once you've got more experience. It keeps getting better.

Interesting.

I have seen the photo you posted of your Jung, bone scaled razor, (The sound it makes when shaving is very close to my best shaving razor, this also shaves very well.) and it is not close to shave ready, the heel and toe have not touched the stones. The heel needs correction and is keeping the heel half of the razor off the stone and caused massive spine wear.

I suppose one could shave with it, but a proper honing and some repair would greatly improve the shave.

What are you honing your razors on?

Interesting.

I have seen the photo you posted of your Jung, bone scaled razor, (The sound it makes when shaving is very close to my best shaving razor, this also shaves very well.) and it is not close to shave ready, the heel and toe have not touched the stones. The heel needs correction and is keeping the heel half of the razor off the stone and caused massive spine wear.

I suppose one could shave with it, but a proper honing and some repair would greatly improve the shave.

What are you honing your razors on?
Thanks for your feedback, I will integrate it.

So again. I'm 18 days in to this, and I've acknowledged that with more experience it will all improve. My resistance above was to think I should not be honing until I've learned to shave. That ship has sailed.

On a philosophical note. It might be "shave ready" is a subjective determination. For instance I was sold a "shave ready" razor and had I not looked at the edge first under the microscope and then honed it, I'd be looking at significant face damage.

If I handed you one of my razors that I feel so accomplished for making them just right for the best shaves I've ever had and said "here shave with this" I'm pretty sure you'd laugh at it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It is possible, although not recommended, to learn SR shaving and honing at the same time. Sometimes it is the only option available. It was for me when I started in the gentlemanly art while living in the Philippines.

Fortunately I found the B&B Method of honing and achieved a very good shave-ready edge on my second attempt. Since then, both my SR shaving and honing techniques have only improved. Three years later of daily SR shaving and I'm still improving with both. Will it ever stop?

Yea don’t worry about the advice to learn to shave before honing, it can be overwhelming, it is good advice, not mandatory.
You should learn to shave from a shave ready razor. Then learn to maintain a shave ready edge.

Post photos of the pro honed razor, and your hones and we can better advise you how to maintain it.

Below is an enlarged photo of your Jung toe and heel. And a Shave ready razor. That is what is possible with your razors.
We can help you, if you want it.

Jung toe.jpg

Jung Toe

Jung heel.jpg

Jung Heel

12kc.jpg

Shave ready 12k bevel and edge.

I can not now explain why I had no learning curve learning to SR shave --. I watched a video of someone demonstrating a shave, I picked up a straight razor and had at it.
No fear. I did not cut up my face as I've heard stories. I got a great shave. I assume that great shaves now will lead to fantastic shaves later. I have actually entertained the thought that it's past life memory -- because that's how easy it came to me.

When I say I got a great shave, or the best shave ever -- I have almost 50 years of alternate shaving methods behind me to compare.

ah.. honing... that does have a learning curve, so I must hone my own razors...

It is possible, although not recommended, to learn SR shaving and honing at the same time. Sometimes it is the only option available. It was for me when I started in the gentlemanly art while living in the Philippines.

Fortunately I found the B&B Method of honing and achieved a very good shave-ready edge on my second attempt. Since then, both my SR shaving and honing techniques have only improved. Three years later of daily SR shaving and I'm still improving with both. Will it ever stop?
Thanks! I'm going to look in to the B&B method.

Yea don’t worry about the advice to learn to shave before honing, it can be overwhelming, it is good advice, not mandatory.
You should learn to shave from a shave ready razor. Then learn to maintain a shave ready edge.

Post photos of the pro honed razor, and your hones and we can better advise you how to maintain it.

Below is an enlarged photo of your Jung toe and heel. And a Shave ready razor. That is what is possible with your razors.
We can help you, if you want it.

View attachment 1542736

Jung Toe

View attachment 1542737
Jung Heel

View attachment 1542739
Shave ready 12k bevel and edge.
thats a beautiful edge. I'll upload photos from my "best" razors

Ok, I have no examples of pro-honed razors in my collection. Here is a Gold Dollar that had I not honed it would have damaged my face: It had a jagged edge, but granted though I started from 1k with it, all I probably did was "correct" it. I get the closes shave I ever had with this one.
IMG_006.JPG

Here is a noname brand new razor -- It shaved ok out of the box -- this was my first attempt at honing -- my first attempt made it so it did not shave at all -- I ruined it. I watched more videos and came to a progression that looked reasonable and did that.
IMG_009.JPG

Now that I look at it under the microscope I see why it's not the best shaver.

Here is the Jung, we already know about the heel and toe issue, it shaves second best.
IMG_010.JPG

On all of them I progress from 1k to 3k to 8k to 10k (holding the blade diagonally on the stones) then chromium oxide on the soft side of the strop, then the hard side.

I'm ready to learn.

The Jung needs heel correction and may have other issues as a result, the Gold Dollar, typically have tons of issues and will need repair before they can be honed.

So, what is the brand of the new razor. Post a photo of it both sides to ensure that it also does not have issues that require repairs.

Which brand of hones are you using, have they been lapped, how?

Top Bottom