What's new

18 Blade survey

I thought some might be interested in this. Having been a staunch user of Wilkinson Sword blades nearly all my life, I decided a while ago that perhaps I needed to try other things. Initial mini trials weren't all that encouraging, since I like my blades to be not ultra-sharp and leave me cut to pieces, but to last without getting too blunt and tuggy too soon. The WS had fulfilled that purpose for years, and would be hard to beat in that respect. But nobody would argue that the modern German version is as good as its old British ancestor.

So I bought one of those sample packs from the 'bay. It contained 18 blades, and I've tried them all in sequence. It's taken a while, because of my love of economy, I've eked out the last bit of sharpness from all of them. So it's been about 17 months altogether. The results are in the table below.

BladeCountryShavesCommentsAvailable from
Feather HI-StainlessJapan10Very very sharp. Fatboy on 3, very light touch required. Very comfortable on days 3 and 4. A bit tuggy by day 1018.4p / blade
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (Yellow)Russia30+Nice smooth feel the first day. Nowhere near as sharp as the Feather. Quite similar to a Wilkinson.10.5p / blade
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)Russia15Felt tuggy on day one. Not as good as the yellow.
Supermax StainlessIndia7Very poor. Tuggy from the start. Tried honing it and that finished it off.n/a
Supermax Blue DiamondIndia12Much better than the Stainless but gives a bit of razor burn. May try it on a lower setting on the Fatboy. Not all that brilliant.n/a
Astra Superior PlatinumRussia40Very smooth feel and lasted over a month. Best compromise of feel and longevity so far.8p / blade
Wilkinson Sword - SolingenGermany~20(away for 2 weeks on holiday using other kit, hence approximation). Never as sharp as some, but remains comfortable all the way through10p / blade
Zorrik Super PlatinumIndia<1Awful! Just awful. Threw away without finishing a shaven/a
Bic Chrome platedGreece25Not as bad as the Zorrik, but not as good as a Wilkinson or Gilette. Perhaps similar to the Supermax Blue Diamond. Lasted well after a poor start.12p/blade
Dorco Platinum ST-301South Korea8Started rough but improved slightly. Never very sharp.n/a
Treet Platinum super stainlessRussia30Quite nice feel to start, better than the last 2. Lasted quite well.6.1p / blade
Shark Super ChromeEgypt14Never that great. similar to Dorco.n/a
Personna PlatinumIsrael24Always felt as if there were dull spots on the edgen/a
Shark StainlessEgypt12Not bad. Not all that sharp, but fairly comfortable10p / blade
Astra Superior StainlessRussia33A joy from the start. Smooth and comfortable.10.5p / blade
DerbyTurkey25Quite good. Started tuggy but improved before getting blunt and cutting men/a
Polsilver Super IridiumPoland34Never incredibly sharp but lasted very well. A good solid blade.11p / blade
Laser ultra Triple coatedIndia5Best of the Indian blades but a long way off being good. Never really sharp.11p / blade

Notes:

1. The razor throughout was a Gillette Fatboy. My normal setting is either 3 or 4, sometimes changing from 3 to 4 later in the life of a blade.
2. The prices in the last column are in UK pence, from the 'bay, in the UK. YMMV.
3. Where a price has n/a in it, I either couldn't find them for sale, or couldn't be bothered looking, not being interested in buying that particular blade.

Conclusions:

The Russians make great blades :thumbup:
The Indians don't :bored:
The others are somewhere in between.

If I had to choose a top 5 they'd be:

1. Astra Superior Stainless - this was always a joy, but a tiny bit more expensive than No. 2
2. Astra Superior Platinum - awesome. Wonderful comfortable feel, and lasts and lasts.
3. Feather - impressive sharpness, but you have to be so careful, and it doesn't last all that well.
4th equal - Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow and Wilkinson (white packet, not the black) - both smooth and comfortable, but never ultra-sharp.

My cabinet now has 100 Astra Superior Platinum in it, alongside my stock of Wilkinsons. I expect to enjoy shaving much more, for a good while, starting tomorrow :001_smile

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
So I bought one of those sample packs from the 'bay. It contained 18 blades, and I've tried them all in sequence. It's taken a while, because of my love of economy, I've eked out the last bit of sharpness from all of them. So it's been about 17 months altogether. The results are in the table below.
Well done, and an incredible effort keeping tracking of blade performance. The economy part wasn't the foremost reason that I DE shave; it was the variety, the choices, and that the razor didn't clog. My son convinced me (although he switched to DE shaving for economic reasons). 18 blades in nearly 18 months is very impressive. My experience has been similar - Russian blades have been excellent, and the Japanese Feather is at the top also; although I think I've had better experiences with the Israeli Personnas and Egyptian Sharks than what you've had.

Great post! A year and a half all wrapped up it one easy to read chart. :thumbup:

Of the blades I' ve tried on your chart my thoughts are pretty spot on with yours. Feather, Astra SP, and Derby. Although you were a little nicer to Shark Super Chrome than me.

If you like Russian blades you need to try GSBs.

The one issue you will probably have noticed from perusal of the chart is that it's hard to remember back to the blade before last, so many of them are compared, favourably or otherwise, with their immediate predecessors. Luckily the bad ones fade quickest from the memory, and the good ones persist for the longest. Hence I was able to compile a top 5, but a bottom 5 would have been much harder.

Won't be going through that again! :)
[MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION] - GSB? Gillette something? I have had some Gillette Rubis from Russia as well - they were great, although not long lasting.

The one issue you will probably have noticed from perusal of the chart is that it's hard to remember back to the blade before last, so many of them are compared, favourably or otherwise, with their immediate predecessors. Luckily the bad ones fade quickest from the memory, and the good ones persist for the longest. Hence I was able to compile a top 5, but a bottom 5 would have been much harder.

Won't be going through that again! :)
@troy - GSB? Gillette something? I have had some Gillette Rubis from Russia as well - they were great, although not long lasting.
Gillette Silver Blue

GSB? Gillette something? I have had some Gillette Rubis from Russia as well - they were great, although not long lasting.
Gillette Silver Blue, generally regarded as one of the better/best blades available.

I had the same experience with a Rubie. Third shave was decent, fourth was pretty bad.

Thanks for all the info you've posted.:thumbup1:

Fuzzball, it'd have to be orders of magnitude better than the others I tried to tempt me away from my Astra / WS combination I now have. They're also around 3x the price of Astras in small quantities, dropping to 2x for 100+.

I looked at GSB on UK 'bay, and they are around 5 times the price of the Astras. They'd have to be VERY good to justify that.

Once in a while I might buy a small pack to try new things, but the last year and a half have mostly just confirmed that there's a lot of very poor quality blades out there, so motivation to keep repeating that experience is low! :001_smile

Top Bottom