What's new

17.00 Tobacco press on Amazon

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So I'm thinking along the lines of the few of you looking to consolidate space by pressing some blends. My question is, have any of you pressed a blend as is? I was thinking of pressing some loose cut bulk blends using only distilled water as the binder so as not to disrupt the flavors already present. Have any of you done this to consolidate space without having a negative impact on your tobacco?

So I'm thinking along the lines of the few of you looking to consolidate space by pressing some blends. My question is, have any of you pressed a blend as is? I was thinking of pressing some loose cut bulk blends using only distilled water as the binder so as not to disrupt the flavors already present. Have any of you done this to consolidate space without having a negative impact on your tobacco?

Pressing tobacco will alter the flavor all on it’s own, whether you use additives, water etc. Personally I wouldn’t press tobacco with the sole purpose of saving space unless you are ok with the flavor being altered (not necessarily for the better or worse, just different).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandaves

Pressing tobacco will alter the flavor all on it’s own, whether you use additives, water etc. Personally I wouldn’t press tobacco with the sole purpose of saving space unless you are ok with the flavor being altered (not necessarily for the better or worse, just different).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough, that pretty much answers my question. I'll have to experiment with some of my own blends once I get there but probably won't press anything right away.

I know pressure encourages more mingling of existing flavors, which I'm okay with. I just don't want to risk entirely changing the character of a blend I enjoy as is.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Fair enough, that pretty much answers my question. I'll have to experiment with some of my own blends once I get there but probably won't press anything right away.

I know pressure encourages more mingling of existing flavors, which I'm okay with. I just don't want to risk entirely changing the character of a blend I enjoy as is.

To correct what I previously posted (now deleted), definitely experiment with loose bulk first. I got confused you confused with another member.

Last edited:

brandaves

To correct what I previously posted (now deleted), definitely experiment with loose bulk first. I got confused you confused with another member.
Will do, that is what I meant by experimenting with my own blends. I'm not quite there yet as I'm still feeling out my preferences. I'll order some blending leaf sometime in the next few months and see what I can come up with. It definitely adds an entirely new element to this hobby.

Thank you for the advice.

Sorry to bump a year old thread! Is anyone still tinkering with pressing blends? Just got my 17 dollar tobacco press the other day. Loaded it up with my first experiment last night. Very imprecise measurements haha. A heap of casey jones heros blend (a vanilla aromatic) along with the remaining haunted bookshop I had left in the jar.

How long do you leave it in the press? Any other helpful info on pressing tobacco and combining blends? I'm looking forward to experimenting alot in the future.

20210526_210504.jpg

20210526_091916.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The longer you keep it pressed the harder the block will be, and conceivably the more melded the flavors. How hard you crank down has a lot to do as well, but for me 5 days to a week was as long as I wanted to wait. Cranking too hard might affect flavor too. Imagine instead of enjoying the pralines and caramel ribbon in an ice cream, you blend it all up and get a homogenous taste. Depending on what you are going for it’s good/bad.

The longer you keep it pressed the harder the block will be, and conceivably the more melded the flavors. How hard you crank down has a lot to do as well, but for me 5 days to a week was as long as I wanted to wait. Cranking too hard might affect flavor too. Imagine instead of enjoying the pralines and caramel ribbon in an ice cream, you blend it all up and get a homogenous taste. Depending on what you are going for it’s good/bad.
Gotcha. Definitely going to take some expiramenting. Hoping it might be a way to breath some new life in some blend that didn't do it for me right off the bat. Fun to tinker with blending too 👍

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Using the noodle press on some 515RC and Haunted Bookshop. On paper it looks good, but I’ve been a bit disappointed. It’s wants to bite and the room note is off. It may be the casing I used. Going to let it age for a bit.

F0022BDB-7304-47DF-8496-3C31FDC73161.jpeg

Using the noodle press on some 515RC and Haunted Bookshop. On paper it looks good, but I’ve been a bit disappointed. It’s wants to bite and the room note is off. It may be the casing I used. Going to let it age for a bit.

View attachment 1273253
I had been wondering how some of your blends had turned out. In fact I think I still have some of your early blends. Gonna have to dig them out and have anothet bowl.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My favorites so far, and the goofy names I gave them. This is an updated list from what I may have posted in the past. And for clarification, I don't sell any, these are just the fun names I gave them for me. Make your own!

The Proslogian
Virginia with a healthy amount of Dark fired, and just a trace of perique.
1.5 oz 515RC
2 Flakes HH Bold KY
3 Coins Escudo
All rubbed out together and put in the press for a week

Black Forest (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte)
Cherry, Chocolate and nicotine, what's not to love.
0.75 oz Cult Blood Red Moon
1.25 oz H&H Burley Kake

Anselm's Blend
Whole leaf Red or Bright Leaf Virginia, Burley and Dark Fired tobacco. A nic heavy country boy blend. Whole leaves are available from leafonly.com and wholeleaf.com.
1/2 oz Virginia
1/2 oz Burley
1/2 oz Dark Fired
De-stem and rough cut the leaves, and rub out together. Add a casing and let macerate in a ziplock bag for a week before pressing. I may open the bag to let it dry some if I added too much casing. I like to press at 35-45% moisture. Moisture meters are available at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
1622207878888.png

Casing is a mix of Apple Cider Vinegar (60%), Molasses (35%) and food grade Propylene Glycol (5%). Tobacco blenders are quite secretive with there mixtures, so I have no idea what they use. I do know vinegar is used as a antimicrobial agent on St. Bruno flake, it says it right on the label, but McClelland says they did not use any. Its all about what you like and the joy of finding what works for you.

My only recommendation is to mix in small batches, label everything, and take good notes. I speak from experience.:mad2:

Last edited:
My favorites so far, and the goofy names I gave them. This is an updated list from what I may have posted in the past. And for clarification, I don't sell any, these are just the fun names I gave them for me. Make your own!

The Proslogian
Virginia with a healthy amount of Dark fired, and just a trace of perique.
1.5 oz 515RC
2 Flakes HH Bold KY
3 Coins Escudo

Black Forest (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte)
Cherry, Chocolate and nicotine, what's not to love.
0.75 oz Cult Blood Red Moon
1.25 oz H&H Burley Kake

Anselm's Blend
Whole leaf Red or Bright Leaf Virginia, Burley and Dark Fired tobacco. A nic heavy country boy blend. Whole leaves are available from leafonly.com and wholeleaf.com.
1/2 oz Virginia
1/2 oz Burley
1/2 oz Dark Fired
De-stem and rough cut the leaves, and rub out together. Add a casing and let macerate in a ziplock bag for a week before pressing. I may open the bag to let it dry some if I added too much casing. I like to press at 35-45% moisture. Moisture meters are available at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
View attachment 1273269
Casing is a mix of Apple Cider Vinegar (60%), Molasses (35%) and food grade Propylene Glycol (5%). Tobacco blenders are quite secretive with there mixtures, so I have no idea what they use. I do know vinegar is used as a antimicrobial agent on St. Bruno flake, it says it right on the label, but McClelland says they did not use any. Its all about what you like and the joy of finding what works for you.

My only recommendation is to mix in small batches, label everything, and take good notes. I speak from experience.:mad2:
Very nice! Thanks a bunch for the tips! Already have a moisture meter I use with my wood turning. Never thought about using it with baccy haha. More experiments to come I'm sure. My first basic attempt has been in the press a little over a day and I'm already getting impatient to try it hahaha.

I’ve had good luck pressing elizabethan, Mississippi mud, and three friars. If nothing else, it’s fun. Haven’t done any blends that did it for me.

First pressing attempt popped out this morning. Looks good. But the taste test will tell more. Hopefully the added kick will bring out more flavor. It definitely compacted down alot more than I though it would 🤣🤣🤣

20210531_101730.jpg

20210531_101740.jpg

My OCD for recipes kicks into overdrive on things like recipe creation, homebrewing, bread making and -tobacco mixing if I ever started. I want it always to be the same next time I make according to notes.

One reason I got out of homebrewing... Too much like work. I'll buy my IPA or porter and smoke. 😁

Although mixing some blends together may come quick as I've got a couple of bunches of whole leaf home grow tobacco that need a purpose about ready to be de stemmed and put to use.

Top Bottom