What's new

$150 Budget suggestions

My vote would be a Zenith two ban Badger 27mm. It’s one of the finest brushes I ever bought under $150.00.Probably the best. Sorry about my fingers smears on the handle.
2111CD44-0AE0-44EE-963C-8C60F21361DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My vote would be a Zenith two ban Badger 27mm. It’s one of the finest brushes I ever bought under $150.00.Probably the best. Sorry about my fingers smears on the handle.
I'll second this sentiment. The difference in quality between the Zenith Manchurian and the Simpsons Manchurian is not as sharp as the difference in price would indicate. I would say something similar about the Semogue Finest grade. Zenith and Semogue arguably represent the top values in two band shaving brushes.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I would reach out to @Rudy Vey and see if he could make you one like this

View attachment 1234453

or this

View attachment 1234454

I'm sure he'd work with you and craft you a beautiful brush that would fit that budget ;)
The Bog Oak brush is mine (thank you for reposting it); the Manchurian knot is second to none, IMO, but I'm not sure if Rudy has many more of them.
I have 12+ RV brushes, so you know I'm hooked.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is a barely used Semogue 2011 Limited Edition two band finest brush for sale in the BST right now. I own one of those myself and it is a superb brush. That would be my choice but good luck with whatever you decide 👍

I agree that Chubby 1 Super is a great choice in this price range. I prefer it to the Chubby 2 Super, which I also own.

Very intrigued by Zenith brushes. Great looking stuff. Good prices.

Are they floppy? Good for face lathering? And finally manchurian or not?
Mine is not. It has backbone and soft tips. I really have not found anything personally that’s even close to the price/value. There is a lot of good advice above from other members but for me this is the best and this brush and a different handle configuration can be bought under for $100 which is pretty darn amazing for Manchurian brush at 27mm. My very compact Thäter 35mm which also two band , I paid almost 3 times as much And I cannot Honestly say that its three times better brush. The Thäter may look nicer but as far as performance compared to the Zenith the margin is not very much. Hope this helps make your decision. All the best.
010F996F-4E9E-4FAF-A7D3-8CABEDBB57A5.jpeg.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Want a classic high quality brush for $150.

-Dont mind a bit smaller knot size

-Soap only user (load from puck)

-Face latherer exclusively

-Medium backbone at most

-Love two band stuff

-Open to different handle shapes

Let's hear some good ones please

Have you ever considered boar?

I didn't, for the longest time. I finally tried one, when the "B&B Essential Boar" brush came out. Loved it.

You can get a decent boar brush for 10% of your budget (literally) and then if you don't like it, no biggie .... but if you do, you just saved a Benjamin to spend on anything else!

Have you ever considered boar?

I didn't, for the longest time. I finally tried one, when the "B&B Essential Boar" brush came out. Loved it.

You can get a decent boar brush for 10% of your budget (literally) and then if you don't like it, no biggie .... but if you do, you just saved a Benjamin to spend on anything else!

Yeah I have run through about five different boar brushes from different manufacturers trying to like them. Just not my cup of tea. Really liked the budget friendly aspect.

My goal is to find a brush in the $150 range that I use on special occasions as I feel that is the most I am willing to spend on a brush, period. My research shows a lot of options at this price point and seems to me to be a point of diminishing returns. Only way to know is to buy and try it though. Haha

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah I have run through about five different boar brushes from different manufacturers trying to like them. Just not my cup of tea. Really liked the budget friendly aspect.

Fair enough. You tried them, and didn't like them. (But it would have been cool if $15 had solved your $150 problem!)

On to the badger!!

My research shows a lot of options at this price point and seems to me to be a point of diminishing returns. Only way to know is to buy and try it though. Haha

It's been a LOOOONG time since I was in the market for a brush, let alone a badger one!

But "back in the day" the standard recommendation for your criteria was "Simpson Chubby 1 in Best". I suspect that is around your price range ... to get one in 2-band is going to raise the price no doubt.

Perhaps a Shavemac would fit the bill?

Fair enough. You tried them, and didn't like them. (But it would have been cool if $15 had solved your $150 problem!)

On to the badger!!

It's been a LOOOONG time since I was in the market for a brush, let alone a badger one!

But "back in the day" the standard recommendation for your criteria was "Simpson Chubby 1 in Best". I suspect that is around your price range ... to get one in 2-band is going to raise the price no doubt.

Perhaps a Shavemac would fit the bill?

Yeah they are in the running also. Have heard nothing but good things about their two band offerings.

Gonna make a decision here soon.

For that money I would buy again: Semogue Mistura and either Simpson Commodore 2x or 3x OR an Edwin Jagger Synthetic.
I have more expensive brushes and for me they are not worth it.

Look into Spiffo. I have two of them and they are both fantastic a two band and high mountain.
And you can put $50 back in your pocket!!
This is true.

I have 2 Spiffos currently and another 2 in the mail. I ordered my 4th last night. I will have a Super Badger, a High Mountain White, a Silvertip and a 2 band Manchurian.

Ted is excellent to deal with and his brushes are incredible values. None of my brushes cost over $85 USD which is nutty for such high quality.

This is true.

I have 2 Spiffos currently and another 2 in the mail. I ordered my 4th last night. I will have a Super Badger, a High Mountain White, a Silvertip and a 2 band Manchurian.

Ted is excellent to deal with and his brushes are incredible values. None of my brushes cost over $85 USD which is nutty for such high quality.
Just to add a little to this. Neither brush that I have has ever lost a single hair!!

Just to add a little to this. Neither brush that I have has ever lost a single hair!!
My Super loses a few here and there but it is rare. My HMW hasn’t shed a hair since I got it. He won’t tell me where he gets his knots from, but they are very similar to Shavemac.

Top Bottom