What's new

$150 and Above Razors

Hey everyone,

I just want to say that thanks to this site I have a severe case of RAD. But also thanks to this site I have learned quick a bit about wet shaving.

Thank you!

Now to my question: those of you who have and use the expensive razors (e.g. timeless, wolfman, blackland, raw shaving, etc.), is it worth it? Is the shave that much better?

I ask because I recently purchased a Karve razor, which is now the most expensive razor I've purchased, and it got me thinking about the question.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

It's a matter of preference. My Paradigm 17-4 and SE don't give me better shaves than my Ikon Tech ($70). Sure, the fit, feel, craftsmanship and beauty may all point to higher priced razors but that does not guarantee a better shave.

I have a $1.00 Dollar Tree Razor that I love.

I agree with the other statements. I have an ATT razor and I really love using it, but the quality of shave isn't any better than cheap razors I have. Different razors require slightly different technique, but once you figure out a razor it will give you an excellent shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For me it is all personal choice. I prefer vintage razors and I know that some members pay hundreds of dollars for one razor. I am not interested in paying hundreds of dollars for one razor when I can buy ten or twenty razors for the same price and have lots of fun exploring all those razors. We are all different and think differently about things. If someone wants to buy a high end razor good on them. It is their choice and their money to do with want they desire. It is just not for me.

As others have said, you may not get a better shave but pleasure of having a high quality item is very gratifying. Also knowing it should last a lifetime is nice too. To me it is worth the extra money.

FWIW, I get my best shaves with 1920's era UK and USA Gillette 3 piece razors. None cost over $50.

I have tried the more expensive razors and the juice was not worth the squeeze.

That said, if someone made a nice machined copy of the NEW SC or RFB today in gold or silver plate, it might well be a $150+ razor.

Another example - you can buy a horn handled and gold plated Joris razor for $180, it's beautiful, but really it's just a dressed up Fatip that can be had for $40 with a cheaper finish and plain handle. I don't think the Joris will shave better.

It's a matter of preference. My Paradigm 17-4 and SE don't give me better shaves than my Ikon Tech ($70). Sure, the fit, feel, craftsmanship and beauty may all point to higher priced razors but that does not guarantee a better shave.

I have a $1.00 Dollar Tree Razor that I love.
I too have a $1.00 Dollar Tree razor, but do not love it. In fact, my first Dollar Tree razor was so crooked as to be unusable. A member here kindly traded with me, and his, which he had worked on and managed to straighten out, was much more usable, but still terrible. On the other hand, my $15 RazoRock Old Type is very good, and an H2 Gillette Slim from 1962 that cost me $17 is excellent. I got an absolutely BBS-everywhere shave with the Slim yesterday in 3 passes, no touch-up, that I doubt could be surpassed by any razor or shaving method. But it is old, scratched and worn, and I can't blame anyone who prefers something smooth, shiny, elegant and titanium.
Let's face it, there's something to be said for bling.

My addiction is vintages and I have always sought out specimens in very good condition. This means that I have never bought really cheap razors. And as my collection have grown I am now a lot into the 100+ USD area. However I find that they all bar none are completely worth it, not technically for better shaves but in addition for sheer craftmanship and history (and rarity). Love them all.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My most expensive razor cost me about £30. My cheapest cost me about £3.

While I can understand the appeal of the premium items in terms of materials, or just in terms of buying yourself an expensive treat, it doesn't have any appeal to me, and won't improve the shave.

A few years ago, I bought myself a £200+ pocket knife. The only reason I still have it, is to remind myself not to be so stupid again. More expensive does not necessarily equate to better.

I do have to say I think it’s worth, not only do they shave great but I find using a quality made razor just adds to the whole shaving experience and it’s something I’ve found has significantly increased the joy of it all.

IMO, once you start paying more than about $20.00 USD or so, you're paying for bling, an extra step of QC (think Maggard or Fendrihan, etc.) or for after-the-sale customer service (think about that 8 year old dropped razor that Muhle replaced for someone here). Is it worth it to you? That's the important thing.

I think technique has more to do with a great shave than the razor does. The more I have learned about good lathering, mapping and shave angle etc. my shaves have improved. With that said I have razors in my rack from a $2 old type to expensive Titanium modern razors, I enjoy the shaves from all of them some are smoother or more efficient (less strokes required for BBS) but they all can give a great shave. I have found that some razors seem to work great for a group on the threads and I don’t enjoy it and one in particular that I really enjoy that most people slam on the forums. So I guess that’s a long explanation of YMMV

I think technique has more to do with a great shave than the razor does. The more I have learned about good lathering, mapping and shave angle etc. my shaves have improved. With that said I have razors in my rack from a $2 old type to expensive Titanium modern razors, I enjoy the shaves from all of them some are smoother or more efficient (less strokes required for BBS) but they all can give a great shave. I have found that some razors seem to work great for a group on the threads and I don’t enjoy it and one in particular that I really enjoy that most people slam on the forums. So I guess that’s a long explanation of YMMV

What is the razor that people slam and you really like?

My addiction is vintages and I have always sought out specimens in very good condition. This means that I have never bought really cheap razors. And as my collection have grown I am now a lot into the 100+ USD area. However I find that they all bar none are completely worth it, not technically for better shaves but in addition for sheer craftmanship and history (and rarity). Love them all.
This is what I’m trying to stop myself from doing but I’ll surely fail! Once you have a Single Ring, a few varieties of Super Speeds, a New SC and LC, a Fatboy, Slim, a few Techs, a couple of New Improved / Standard sets etc., your attention inevitably turns to the rarer vintage models. I’ve picked up a couple of RFB News and a FB English Tech recently for reasonable prices but from here on in, it looks like it’s going to get more expensive (if I let it).

The more you pay, the more it is worth!

When I imbibed with some regularity, I was fond of a bottom shelf scotch with a bit of soda. Lucky man.

If you can find a bottom shelf razor you love, you are fortunate. And if you must pay $150 or more to find one you love, well you are fortunate again, because you have your razor, and you had the cash to buy it.

:)

I've been an advocate of not spending a whole bunch on razor jewelry and yet just a few moments ago I bought my first Charcoal Goods handle. And I can't even get on the wait list for the rest of the razor. RAD is a very real thing! :out:

3 piece - My Timeless SS .95 OC is not my best shaver but it is my prettiest. It is a great shaver though, but that is not why I bought it. Craftsmanship, true mirror finish, solid weight, looks like a Ferrari in the driveway etc. My best 3 piece shaver is actually my nickel plated pre-war Tech paired with a Kai blade.

Adjustable - My Rex is not my best shaver, but is currently a close second to my 1973 Super Adjustable 84. To be fair, the Rex does edge my Fatboy, Slim and Variant, but not by a whole lot. As far as shave for the buck, well in 2018 that is, the Variant takes all here in adjustables.

Other noteworthy razors include my diamond in the rough, Fendrihan Mark II, aluminum Standard Razor and late 1930s plastic Cooper (Really, it gives an amazing shave). Until I finally got my pre-war Tech, the Fendrihan was actually number 1 in consistent BBS shaves any day of the week, no matter what blade I used.

At some point, I’m going to rank all of my razors in my rotation. Some rankings would definitely surprise some people. Vintage razors are hard to rate via price because NOS and true mint are going to fetch high prices. Some of us were lucky, right place, right time for NOS and mint offerings and some of us don’t care about the finish of a vintage so the prices are all over the place.

Not to throw another wrench into the works, but I feel the Timeless Bronze SB is the lowest priced high end razor that is completely underrated on the forums.

Top Bottom