What's new

15 years later… I’m back!

Hey B&B!

This forum was a tremendous resource for me in 2007 when I spent some of my senior spring in college teaching myself to shave with a straight.

Then life caught up with me and for the next 15 years I didn’t have the regular time, place, or space to pick the hobby back up.

The past few years I’ve built myself a shop and rediscovered the pleasure of sharpening while maintaining some hand tools for woodworking. I found the old Dovo the other day and decided it was time to take the plunge! To that end — a question on honing and polishing.

I use 1k, 3k/8k, and 10k Ohishi waterstones on my plane irons and chisels with a bit of a light stop on the old Heirloom Strop Co. latigo (undressed). I can get a shaving sharpness on chisels I finish on my Tormek, but haven’t ever been able to get the plane irons quite there on the stone/stop progression.

Should I be able to get a shave-ready razor with that setup? Should I add in a glassstone or something >10k grit or a pasted strop?

And one more — I should be taping the spine while I work back into this, right? Looks like Scapa tape is the recommendation?

Glad to be back with the community here!

Welcome back!
Some of the more experienced straight users/ honers should be able to answer your questions.
I’m relatively new to straights but the advice I was given was to get a professionally honed “shave ready” razor to give me a benchmark for what I should be aiming for when it comes to stropping and honing. Since you’ve used straights before that advice might not apply to you since you’ve technically already experienced a “shave ready” edge. However if your memory is a bit hazy from 10 years ago (mine certainly is!) it could be useful to have a refresher.
As for stones/finishers, I’m probably out of my depth, but I’ve heard good things about the Naniwa 12k SS, lapping film on an acrylic block and pasted balsa strops on the honing forum. It may be worth asking around there too :smile1:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome back to B&B, there are some straight razor keener fellows at B&B.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom