What's new

14C28N and 13C26 for straight razors?

I wonder if anyone makes razors out of 13C26 and the improved version 14C28N? These steels are used in making razor blades and can take high enough hardness. They have really good wear resistance. An added bonus is that they are tougher than the usual O1, 1095, C135 steels. They are at the same level of toughness, even at high hardness, as 52100, 3V, and other steels noted for toughness, yet they are stainless. 14C28N was an improvement over 13C26 (AEB-L) in regards to corrosion resistance and it has slightly better edge retention. Another thing, like plain carbon steels, and unlike many stainless steels, they have a finer grain structure.

So, why are these steels not used? Or, are they used and just not common?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Doc Dan, unfortunately I cannot help you with your question. Quite often SR blade manufacturers are tight-lipped about the type of stainless steel they use in their blades. You are most correct in the requirement of finer grain structures desired in stainless steel SRs.

There are many misconceptions spread around about stainless steel SRs. Things like; they can't be honed to shave-ready, don't hold an edge, easily crack or chip, etc. These misconceptions are often based on a person's personal experience. Either the stainless steel used was not really suitable for straight razors, the blade's heat treatment was not properly performed or they just didn't put in the time and effort to properly develop the edge.

About ⅓ of my modest SR stable consists of stainless steel SRs. None are easy to hone. They all take more work and concentration to get them to a proper shave-ready condition. Once honed however, they can take a marvellous edge and retain that edge for many shaves.

Last edited:
Since those two steels are already used for making razor blades, and they have all of these good qualities, it seems a no brainer. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe tradition gets in the way of the makers.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It could be that SR blanks are made in batches and a batch (particularly of stainless steel) can take decades to work through. I'm only guessing. I know that Steve Colling in Proserpine, Queensland get his blanks from the same supplier as Ralf Aust in Germany.

That is likely. 14C28N and 13C26 are blankable, but there might not be enough of a demand because the razor makers are not familiar with the steels. I once contacted a well known knife company that makes knives mostly out of 1095 and are supposed to be tough. Then, they went to 440C and S35VN. I asked them why they didn't use these other two steels as they matched their mission better. They responded that they had no knowledge of them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I just did a quick search. 14C28N is not easy (impossible?) to find over 4.5mm thick. This would limit its use to blade having about a 4/8 maximum size. 5mm or 6mm thickness would be ideal. 13C26 appears to be only available in up to 3mm thickness.

I expect that Sandvik could do a special rolling if the ordered tonnage was high enough.

I just did a quick search. 14C28N is not easy (impossible?) to find over 4.5mm thick. This would limit its use to blade having about a 4/8 maximum size. 5mm or 6mm thickness would be ideal. 13C26 appears to be only available in up to 3mm thickness.

I expect that Sandvik could do a special rolling if the ordered tonnage was high enough.
Try looking up AEB-L and see what you find. It is the same as 13C26.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What is used already has a good track record and is a known quality. If it ain't broke, don't break it.

Another cliche for you... it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

The alloys already in common use are very good, and there is a lot of data and methodology already worked out through many decades of manufacture and usage. Nobody is going to switch to a new allow with no good reason to do so. And if there is no reason to do so, why would we insist that they do so?

Honestly, if you want a razor made from a particular alloy that is not already in common and longstanding use, you are going to have to make it yourself. Good luck. Try not to spend too much!

Top Bottom