What's new

14 Days of Jermyn St. & 1 Day on Jermyn St.

I started DE shaving in early December after many, many years of using electrics. I can remember using a Schick injector sometime in the distant past along with a few disposables. I was going on a 2 week trip to Poland (10 days) and England (4), so I thought I'd try to keep using a brush and blade on the trip.
I decided to bring 5 Bic Sensitive disposables, rather than my EJ or ATT. I also packed (in my checked luggage) my Plisson synthetic brush and a tube of TOBS Jermyn Street that I bought from Sierra Outfitters for $4.95. I think this was a good kit for travel since the Bics were quick and very forgiving of jet lag and other distractions. The TOBS lathered easily with the Plisson, and the synthetic dried quickly. On the two occasions that I had an early train or plane to catch, I just shaved the night before and the brush was dry the next morning when I put it in my kit. Three observations on the shaves I got.
  1. I didn't have a single nick or cut over the two weeks. I got my first slight two weepers on my next to last day even with averaging 3 passes/shave.
  2. My shaves weren't as close as I'm used to at home. I would say the Bics are very mild and not very efficient. Still, the shaves were closer than I used to get with my Panasonic or Phillips shavers.
  3. The post shave feel wasn't as good as I get at home, as measured by the lack of facerbation I engaged in. It might be the closeness of the shave or that the TOBS is not as moisturizing as the soaps I use at home, many of which have tallow (e.g. Strop Shoppe, CRSW, Wickham). I noticed the difference with my first shave at home.
While in London, I got a chance to visit Jermyn St. and scored a tube of James St. for 3.00 pounds (about $4.50). This is getting long, so maybe I'll post on that along with some pictures when I get a chnce.

I think my will power would have been weaker if just prior to leaving on the trip I hadn't bought the following TOBS from Sierra Outfitter on sale for $4.95 each on sale:
1 Avocado, 1 Eton College, 2 Coconut, 1 Sandalwood, and 3 Jermyn Street (I PIFed one of the JS to a friend to interest him in wet shaving). Of course these are in addition to all the soaps I have. So, how does my willpower look now?

Ha, valid point... what do you think of the coconut, if you've had a chance to try it? I really like coconut scents but haven't had a chance to smell that one

I hate to admit that I still haven't tried the coconut or anything other than the Jermyn St. & St. James other than rubbing them on my hands and sniffing, and that's not the best way to evaluate the scent. That said, and being no expert on coconut scents, I'd say it had a definite creamy coconut smell that I found pleasant.

Top Bottom