What's new

132 Blades - Bic Stainless

The Bic stainless was a blade that I had wanted to try years ago but never got down to it. For me the shave quality was never great and in the end, the blood and discomfort after 4 shaves was just too much. I can see why some people would like the blade, but for me, it may rate low enough to fall into my "will not buy" list.

1677827714031.png

NEXT up, Bic Chrome Platinum.

If you didn't like the Astor Stainless then I don't think you're going to like the BIC Chrome Platinum. Both of them are (to me) very sharp, but the Platinum is a touch smooth in some razors. In other razors they feel identical to me.

The BIC Chrome Platinum is a good match with many razors, usually milder ones like Gillette Techs, for example. Some razors just don't work as well with it as they do with other blades. That's my theory, anyway, since it seems to be a love-it-or-hate it blade based on people's reports here.

If you try to rate blades without regard to the razor used with them, I think something is missed.

Reactions: nav
If you try to rate blades without regard to the razor used with them, I think something is missed.
Agreed, but since I am looking to examine blades only, I felt the need to keep the razor, soap and brush constant as that would do the best job at letting me discover blade characteristics. I have been using the King C. Gillette pretty much exclusively since I bought it so this is very likely to be the razor for whatever blade I buy.

Agreed, but since I am looking to examine blades only, I felt the need to keep the razor, soap and brush constant as that would do the best job at letting me discover blade characteristics. I have been using the King C. Gillette pretty much exclusively since I bought it so this is very likely to be the razor for whatever blade I buy.

This is why the blade journey is so difficult!

I found the BIC harsh in many razors until I used it in my blackbird and it was love at first shave!
The BIC went from, a blade I'd never consider stocking up on, to become my most favourite blade of all and now I have enough to last the next couple of generations!

I think the King C. Gillette is a good choice for a standard razor to compare blades. I use the King C. Gillette and the Edwin Jagger DE89 interchangeably. These are as average three piece middle-of-the-road razors as you are likely to find.

When I use other razors, I compare them to these razors. I always try to use a blade that I am evaluating in one of these.

Top Bottom