What's new

13 y/o son wants to shave with a straight razor…

I can see a preliminary session with a dull razor, just to learn the different grips, angle, and pressure, but one session only, then immediately on to a proper shave ready razor. A dull razor can quickly develop and encourage bad habits.

You need styptic on hand, and he needs to understand that it will burn but will stop minor bleeding quickly. Yeah, he is probably going to cut himself a few times. Summer is a good time to do this. Send him to school with shaving cuts and someone will gasp in horror and call child protective services on you for allowing your son anywhere near a deadly sharp object like a straight razor. OTOH, a good shaving cut or two from a straight razor will set all the girls' hearts a-flutter and make all the boys envious.

I can only imagine what would be said if he shaved with a straight after gym class lol.

Just let him at it. Really, what’s the worst that can happen? He’s just as likely to cut himself learning at 13 as he is at 18, and the odd dueling scar is probably cool in high school.

When I think back to all the silly things I did in my early teens, shaving with a straight is pretty low risk.
I second that. Especially since you said the hair is just peach fuzz, shaving that would be a straight forward 1 pass. And he will be the only kid his age shaving like a man. All his peers still shave with their mom’s ***** razors. A Mach 3 is just a grey version of a Venus razor after all. I have no sons set up my18 year old nephew with a straight and my oldest daughter uses one for her legs too.

Get him a shavette and guarded blades. It isn't fool proof, but at least the cuts won't be life threatening hopefully.
This is what I was going to recommend. I gave my teenage son a Kai Captain clone and guarded blades and he loved it. Used it all the time. He's grown now so I don't know if he's still shaving with it. He favors his Schick injector.

Top Bottom