What's new

13 y/o son wants to shave with a straight razor…

My boy got peach fuzz. So couple weeks ago I set him up with a DE, brush, soap, and some a/s. Now I think he’s getting cocky and told me today next time he wants to shave with a straight razor. 😳

NO WAY. Was my immediate response. But again said he wanted to and that he wouldn’t cut himself. So I said I’d dull a razor for him to practice with.

What say the shave community? I’m worried this will result in a very uncomfortable visit to the Children’s Hospital ER.

This is his current set up

C2419E1B-E012-4931-BA26-6D737CD18AFA.jpeg

The idea wasn’t to use a dull blade to actually cut hair. But a REALLY dull (as in no useable edge) blade to show him how hard it is to hold the angles and scrape the lather.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Agree that dull knives are more dangerous than sharp ones.

Maybe let him try shavette first?
Or practice the more traditional "scrape off the foam on the balloon"?

Although I think it is more likely that he did a good job the first time.

The idea wasn’t to use a dull blade to actually cut hair. But a REALLY dull (as in no useable edge) blade to show him how hard it is to hold the angles and scrape the lather.
I think your idea of letting him start with a dull blade is a good idea. I wont cut peach fuzz, but he will learn to hold it correctly, learn his angles and build some muscle memory.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Teach him how to shave - it will be a great memory. And with an exception he can do it. That exception is the clumsy stage that teens seem to go through, me included, when you appsrently can’t hold a pencil. Fortunately it doesn’t last too long.

Shave him first, maybe just the cheeks. He’ll know how much pressure, how to stretch, etc etc

You get the idea, so will he.

the only problem I see with a dull edge is he could use unnecessary pressure on his skin with no negative feedback from that and then train that muscle memory into his technique before using a shave ready blade. about the only way around that I can think of is the balloon trick, and you shaving him so he can feel the appropriate face feel after practicing with a dull edge.

but I also think you should be coaching him on angle, etc... and stropping as he practices. how does he take instruction from you now? is that worth the effort?

the udpside is, the younger one is, generally the faster they learn

Would have loved to shave with a straight razor at that age! Waited until I was 32…and even at my age it still scared the crap out of my dad when I told him I was going to try using one.

He may catch on quick. You never know.

Teach him how to shave - it will be a great memory. And with an exception he can do it. That exception is the clumsy stage that teens seem to go through, me included, when you appsrently can’t hold a pencil. Fortunately it doesn’t last too long.

Shave him first, maybe just the cheeks. He’ll know how much pressure, how to stretch, etc etc

You get the idea, so will he.

I’m in this corner. Being the father of a soon to be shaver myself, I lean towards teaching to use a razor as it is meant to be used, in shaving condition. Passing on on of your straights to your son, along with the time spent together while you teach him the proper way to use it and maintain it will be priceless.

Thanks for the great ideas and encouragement. I have some project razors and I found one with corrosion on the edge. So I think I’ll file it down till it’s blunt and give it to him to practice. It won’t cut hairs or skin and will hopefully teach him the balance and the angles. 💈

Nice starter DE kit! I say teach him SR, if his interest continues after the training wheels razor practice.

Start just cheeks, expand eventually to cheeks and sides of neck. Finish the shave with the DE. If he's not patient enough to go slowly and take direction, then he is not ready.

Otherwise, you can train him up and expand the real estate at a rate of advancement that works for you. You will both be entitled to feel proud if he masters it. And there is nothing wrong with using multiple razors in a shave. He can post to the Daily Double thread.

Legion

Staff member
Just let him at it. Really, what’s the worst that can happen? He’s just as likely to cut himself learning at 13 as he is at 18, and the odd dueling scar is probably cool in high school.

When I think back to all the silly things I did in my early teens, shaving with a straight is pretty low risk.

I would most likely go the shavette route first with a blunt and smoothed non cutting blade then with a guarded one… and of course then the real deal

since you picked his soap it was predictable 😂
Hmmm should I try that soap

In the 1950ies my father told me to wait to shave, that my beard would be softer. I do not know if that was true, but I waited and my beard is soft. The first razor I had was a Hoffritz slant and the razor I still prefer is Hoffritz slant. My barber refused to teach me how to use a straight razor even though I am an older adult. So I think mastering the intricacies of using a DE including developing lather, techniques and directions and then working at using a straight razor would be a stepwise process to develop shaving skills.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm with those who think he should do the balloon shave to show him what is possible and what happens if he is not careful. After that, a shave ready razor.
No matter when he starts, he's going to get some cuts or nicks, we all heal and the young heal quicker than the old.
Using a dull razor or other devices just increases the learning curve and throws in things he's going to have to unlearn.
In days of old, fathers taught their sons how to shave with a straight because there was no alternative. I believe that the sons survived the learning process.

If we turn back the clock to a time before safety razors, every young man would have started with a straight razor. These days we keep the bubble wrap on our kids thinking we are protecting them from danger. As I have often said, the learning curve with a straight razor is very short. I expect that when you give him the sharp blade after letting him practice with a dull blade he will likely cut himself. But he will learn quickly. I give the young fellow credit for wanting to try.
And as for the shaving the balloon trick. That's just a recipe for exploding shaving cream everywhere. Fortunately our heads dont eexplode when we nick ourselves

Teach him the tool first.
If he has the patience and interest to bring a trashed razor to shave-ready condition (and still has all his fingers), then he has earned the privilege to learn to shave with it, IMO.
Along the way, he will develop an intimate feel for the razor, its balance, capabilities, etc. (not to mention the sense of accomplishment)

Top Bottom