What's new

12 Blades You Need To Try

There are thousands of DE blades out there. But there are some that should be "required reading" for anyone serious about wet shaving. I'm willing to bet you will like at least one of the following because they are on most guys Top 5:

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Wilkinson Sword (Germany or India)
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Newbies, you can thank me later! ;)
Like them all, every one of them.

Wilkinson(Germany) tops my list. Gillette Platinum, Feathers, and Vokshods, of which the jury is still out. Just got a Parker 91R razor. After a VanDerHagen for a couple years, the Parker is great.

There are thousands of DE blades out there. But there are some that should be "required reading" for anyone serious about wet shaving. I'm willing to bet you will like at least one of the following because they are on most guys Top 5:

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Newbies, you can thank me later! ;)
That’s a good order. If you start with Polsilver you might not try any others!

I'm surprised that Persona Med Preps didn't make the list. My current favorite blade.
It’s on the revised list. See post #53 ☝🏻

I actually prefer Personna Med Prep to Personna Lab (Blue), but it’s not nearly as popular, as evidenced by guys Top 5 lists. This is probably due to the cost. I wouldn’t be surprised if most guys haven’t tried them. I’m going to do a side-by-side soon to confirm.

This might be explained by inconsistent QC, a known issue with Voskhod. I had a couple of tucks that shaved quite nice; bought a 100 pack based on this experience, and the entire lot of 100 was so rough as to be unusable. I'm not alone in this experience; see this thread Voskhod consistency/QC - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/voskhod-consistency-qc.600221/

When they're good, Voskhods shave well for me, but I'm not willing to roll the dice on them when there are plenty of reliably good blades available, like the rest of those on your list. Great list, BTW.
Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering why there’s such a discrepancy 🤔
If anyone has a good sample of the Voshkod, please PM me! Thanks.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned KAIs. Definitely on my top 5 list, maybe #1, especially in my Fatip OC Slant.

Another candidate is Ladas. Nowhere near as sharp as, say, GSBs but the shaves are pleasant and comfortable.
Kai is on the revised list ☝🏻post #52.
Ladas didn’t make the all-star team because it is not on most guys Top 5. Some guys really like them, however.

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Here's my highly subjective take on such a list:

Polsilver Stainless (this blade is a gem)

20210815_135617-01-01-01.jpeg

Followed by these blades (in no particular order):

Gillette Nacet
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)
Personna (Israeli) Red
BIC Platinum Chrome
Rapira Platinum Lux
Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black)
Gillette Permasharp
KAI

(PS: I didn't intend to highjack your thread @Kennyg2019 ... besides, a great idea! Just wanted to add some alternatives...)

Last edited:
Here's my highly subjective take on such a list:

Polsilver Stainless (this blade is a gem)

View attachment 1372201
Followed by these blades (in no particular order):

Gillette Nacet
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (China)
Personna (Israeli) Red
BIC Platinum Chrome
Rapira Platinum Luxregular
Gillette Platinum
Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black)
Gillette Permasharp
KAI

(PS: I didn't intend to highjack your thread... which was a great idea! Just wanted to add some alternatives...)
Highjack away, my friend! ;) as long as there's something we can all learn. For me, I love Polsilver (probably my favorite blade), but I never tried the Stainless! Will definitely look into it. Thanks! And I forgot about the Kai again.

Highjack away, my friend! ;) as long as there's something we can all learn. For me, I love Polsilver (probably my favorite blade), but I never tried the Stainless! Will definitely look into it. Thanks! And I forgot about the Kai again.
Unfortunately, they are hard to find nowadays. Maybe Shaving.ie will restock them again. Groomatorium recently had them in stock (for a steep price). Keep your eyes open on BST...

Unfortunately, they are hard to find nowadays. Maybe Shaving.ie will restock them again. Groomatorium recently had them in stock (for a steep price). Keep your eyes open on BST...
Just got some from Murphy & McNeil on eBay 👍🏻 Thanks

Just got some from Murphy & McNeil on eBay 👍🏻 Thanks
Awesome. Don't forget to share your experience with the blade. Whilst it is not the sharpest blade on earth it is by far the smoothest blade I ever have shaved with. And it's a super consistent one.

If you want to get some impressions have a look over here:
Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/participation-pif-the-unobtainium-polsilver-super-stainless.610233/

Top Bottom