What's new

12 Blades You Need To Try

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
There are thousands of DE blades out there. But there are some that should be "required reading" for anyone serious about wet shaving. I'm willing to bet you will like at least one of the following because they are on most guys Top 5:

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Wilkinson Sword (Germany or India)
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Newbies, you can thank me later! ;)
Excellent suggestions, I have tried a lot of those blades and have to agree.

Reactions: Pub
There are thousands of DE blades out there. But there are some that should be "required reading" for anyone serious about wet shaving. I'm willing to bet you will like at least one of the following because they are on most guys Top 5:

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

Great list!! Certainly includes my ‘top-tier:’
Polsilver (or Wizamet SI)
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP (also worth trying the SS)
Personna red
Personna lab
:a29::a29::a29:

Agree this would make a terrific sample pack for someone who was newer to DE shaving and, after establishing the basics with a constant blade, was ready to branch out.

The only ommission that I would argue for is Kai. :)
Of course, the Kai!
A43C1C27-5AE4-4023-9754-41264614C160.gif

“16 Blades That You Must Try” 🤣

Last edited:
In August began a journey to find a non-Gillette replacement for Astra SP. I have 100 left so that leaves two years minimum to find one or two that should fill the bill. Impressions so far. Unfortunately there seems to be very little correlation to a writers thoughts of a blade compared to what a reader will discover trying the blade. It reminds me of looking at shapes in clouds and trying to explain what you see to another person that simply cannot find what you're talking about. It's just the way it is with blades. Truly a YMMV item.

Nice list @Kennyg2019, I'll add some of them to my trials.
Thanks, old_school!
I wish someone would offer a "Super Sample Pack" (10-20 blades) with these favorites.
It would benefit all of us...especially those new to wet shaving!

I would suggest adding the S/S Gillette/Wilkinson Sword Indian 'Saloon' to the list. They are cheap, readily available (on the Bay) at about £6 for 110 blades, each pack being 10 with 1 free. In my experience, they are a smooth blade with acceptable efficiency for a beginner. Up to 4 shaves can be achieved from them I have found. They tend to be more effective in a medium or heavier weight razor.
It's my opinion (ymmv) that they are better than the current offering with many razors which often tends to be the Derby Extra. I had some Derby's included with my first DE razor, a EJ DE89 Kelvin (a superb short handled razor) and it nearly ended my DE shaving journey. I found them to be unpleasant in use.
Just my opinion. They may have been old stock. I have heard from a colleague on B&B that they have since been improved.

Last edited:
12 blades you need to try turns into 15 blades you need to try pretty soon turns into 50 blades you need to try 😂 You'll never know if you like it unless you try!
For sure… but I think even my original list of 12 represents a much better sampling than anything currently available on Amazon, eBay, etc. which typically contain blades like Dorco, Shark, Derby, Big Ben, Asco, Treet, etc. Not that these are bad blades necessarily. But, they rarely make anyone’s Top 5.
Add just a few more (Bic, Bolzano, Perma-Sharp, 7 O’Clock) and I think we should have everyone covered. 😉

Reactions: Pub

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

I have tried all of the blades in the list except for the Lord Platinum but I have 2 that I orderd from a RBC to try in the future. Most of the blades I do like. But as always, try a blade for yourself to see how it works for you.

That's a fine list for assembling a sample pack. Well done.
Thanks, musicman. My favorite threads are Top 5’s etc. for anything (razors, blades, soaps, etc). If you have a ton of guys saying, for example, “Feather is the best blade I’ve ever used.” I think it’s worth checking out. Of course, like everything else in life, there’s a subjective element involved (Do we really have to preface every single post with “YMMV”? 🙄 But I don’t think it’s mere coincidence that many of the same blades keep getting mentioned over and over again. We’re all after the same thing here. If we can possibly save a newbie months and months of just randomly going through every blade in a crappy Amazon sample pack, why not?

Last edited:
Fantastic list. I haven't tried the king gillettes, the only one I didn't care for is voskhod. So many lord blades if just picking the most popular one Lord platinum and silver star are probably it, but I do find other lord blades to be better.

King C. Gillette is wonderful.
You should give it a try!
I looked them up but I can't see to get them any cheaper than €5 for 10 blades. They have to be very, very good as most of my fav blades do about €5 per 100 blades! Anyway, when I find a pack I'll give them a go (if they are not made at PPI that is).

I looked them up but I can't see to get them any cheaper than €5 for 10 blades. They have to be very, very good as most of my fav blades do about €5 per 100 blades! Anyway, when I find a pack I'll give them a go (if they are not made at PPI that is).
They are from PPI friend. I bought them earlier this year because everybody was trying them and trying to figure which of the commonly available blades they are.

I am confused as to the bewildering variety of Gillette blades out there. Gillette Silver Blue seem to be somewhat comparable to Personna IR's I have heard, 7 O'Clocks seem to be considered a good blade.
A similar list breakdown of the large Gillette family by performance and suitability may be useful to new members.

Polsilver
Feather
Gillette Silver Blue
Nacet
Astra SP
Voshkod
Personna (Israeli) Red
Personna Lab
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
King C. Gillette

An excellent suggestion Ken. Thank you for putting that list together. :thumbsup:

... and "Excalibur Club" in your signature. :crazy:

That's really taking cognitive dissonance to its limits! :lol:

I think you should cast your vote here View attachment 1365382... and then join up (if you voted Category 3). :letterk1:
That is for 'normal' shavers Cal!

I am err *cough* err still researching the Excalibur Club's enormous corpus of experimentation and methodology.

I am at this point a 'research fellow'. Err..*cough* yes.

I hope that clarifies matters.

Damn this *cough*!

Great list!! Certainly includes my ‘top-tier:’
Polsilver (or Wizamet SI)
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP (also worth trying the SS)
Personna red
Personna lab
:a29::a29::a29:
This is pretty much my list as well with two exceptions and a limited edition.

Polsilver SI seemed to be my longest lasting blade but something in the coating didn’t agree with me and I gave the remaining blades away. I would reverse the Astra blades with my preference for the SS but the SP are very usable. Finally I prefer Feather blades in my Timeless Titanium 0.68 however they are the shortest lived blades for me.

... and "Excalibur Club" in your signature. :crazy:

That's really taking cognitive dissonance to its limits! :lol:

I think you should cast your vote here View attachment 1365382... and then join up (if you voted Category 3). :letterk1:

I think the majority of us start from the first and inevitably end up in the third category. The thing is that some people have a hard time convincing themselves that they are addicted and thinking that they are still in the first or second category even after having enough soaps to supply a small hotel for a year or two and also owning enough razors to supply a whole platoon with.

Top Bottom