What's new

12 Aug Persied Meteor Shower

The yearly Persied Mereor shower is Tuesday night and Wednesday morning on August 12 and 13 this year. The best time is from midnight till dawn. Often there are 60 average per hour, or more. And they don't come regularly, sometimes they come in bursts or multiples. Very cool natural fireworks. Take a look.

The Northern Hemisphere is particularly good and 80 or more per hour are expected.

The last intense meteor shower I witnessed was about 7 years ago I think during a Connecticut fall or winter, can't remember which. It was supposed to be best at around 3am or some ridiculous hour and I somehow managed to wake up and go outside in the freezing night.

Absolutely breathtaking. I don't know if I am remembering it incorrectly but I recall there was a greenish tint to the night sky and a constant stream of falling stars. My only regret was that I didn't have a lounge chair to spare my neck the eventual ache of staring up at the aky.

I live at 4200 feet in the high desert. Should be a good place to watch a meteor shower, except for the thin layer of clouds. Couldn't see. Rather disappointing. Did anyone else see anything?

The Aurora Borealis and the Persied Metro Shower are two of my favorite natural displays. Sadly I missed the meteors this year.

Ah yes, my yearly birthday treat. I was born on August 12th, 1983 (I wish I could find my birth year razor. Would be awesome in Super Adjustable hehehe) and I always enjoy the shower when I stay up at least 3 hours from 11pm-1am. Back in high school I would just stay up all night and goto school the next day (Here, school would also start on Aug. 12th. lucky me right)

This morning I just woke up early and stayed outside for a few minutes to catch some with the cloud cover here. Its cleared up a little now, but earlier it was horrible viewing conditions.

The moon is rather bright right now, and straight over head above me unfortunately. Any other night I'd enjoy taking out my 6" dob mount telescope and check it out. Along with all the other goodies out there in the sky right now.

:w00t:

Thick clouds over in these parts last night. I heard there might be some tonight, too, so I hope it's clearer.

I saw a few... but didn't catch the "fireshow in the sky" I was hoping for.

I can't help but feel I'm tired for no good reason. Hoping tonight's show is better! :biggrin:

Looks like there's going to be too much cloud cover for any visibility in my part of the world. I seem to miss this every year for one reason or another.

Our sky is perfect, no moon and very clear with the stars just a twinkling. I just stared at the sky for about 15 minutes with nothing, (stars were nice tho), Is there a better or best time to check it out? Or was most of it last nite?:confused:

Saw three earlier tonight just while sticking my head out the window. Not bad, considering the light pollution from the city.

On a completely unrelated note, a little six-inch OWL flew up and landed on the edge of my open window within arm's reach of me about 10 minutes ago. We stared at each other for a while, but it flew away when I slowly began reaching for the camera. Cute little guy - never seen one so close before!

Top Bottom