What's new

110v AC outlet in car.

We have a 110v AC outlet in the car that we can plug regular plugs (non-grounded). It says 100w max. I know there's amperage and wattage but not much else.

Long story short, we're taking a long road trip and I want to know if I plug a splitter into that, will a few items plugged in draw too much current and cause issues? I'm only talking small electronics like iPhones, iPad, Nintendo 3DS, GPS. Would that be too much and cause a problem or fry the alternator? Shouldn't there be a fuse anyway that would blow before anything got that far?

The items you’re planning on plugging in should not cause an issue. They’re all very low wattage and no more than a few watts each and the splitter will have no impact. You’re well under the 100 watt limit.

Most electronics will have some usually very small writing on the power supply that tells how much power they draw. Cell phones can vary. My Pixel can draw 45 watts when fast charging. Those old iphone cube chargers that only slow charge draw about 5 watts. A fairly new ultrabook laptop will be around 65 watts. Some older or larger laptops will go over 100 watts. I'd imagine if you try to pull too much power from the outlet it'll just shut off or maybe blow a fuse.

Volts x Amps = Watts if you want to try to do the math.

Last edited:
Top Bottom