What's new

11.13.2017 Mail Call & Poll Question

Shave Brushes! Badger, Boar, Horse or Synthetic / How Many -Tell us what you Like

• I have between 1-10 Brushes

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • I have between 10-20 Brushes

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I have between 20-40 Brushes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I am have between 40-50 Brushes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am have a real case of SBAD and have over 50

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I prefer Badger

• I prefer Boar

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I prefer synthetic

• I like them all Boar, Badger, Horse or synthetic

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I love them all and my ulitmate fantasy is sleep on a mattress of Shave Brushes!

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:badger:MAIL CALL:badger:
&
:badger:This Weeks Poll:badger:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

We will be joined by Bob Quinn, @Eskimo , owner of Elite Razor and one our our supporting vendors on B&B Radio this week, so lets talk Shave Brush Addiction!

In our poll please pick two items. One from the Number of brushes you have, and one from the brush knot you prefer
and.........

After taking the Poll, share how important are aesthetics vs Raw Performance and Function or do you just like those fancy handles

or

would you like to have a Museum to the almighty Shave brush

Give us your feedback!
and Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Aesthetics are pretty important but not the be-all end-all. Better to have an homely one that performs excellently than a trophy that is unusable. Cost is not a barometer for performance. Case in point, the Sterling Boar brush. Inexpensive, looks and performance all in one spot.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Aesthetics to me are largely irrelevant. I use a shaving brush as an integral and important part of my shave prep. Being pretty neither makes the brush work better, nor makes up for any deficit in function.

I fell lucky with my brush, and bought one that worked exactly as I wanted it too. Firm enough to work a lather on a hard soap, but soft enough so as not to be scratchy on the face. It was a cheap boar brush from Men-U which came with a brush stand and a shaving creme dispenser. It's not the prettiest brush in the world, neither the knot nor the black plastic handle would win any beauty pageants, but it does the job, and I'm happy with it.

Performance and function are paramount. The whole point is to make lather. I'll take a homely brush that lathers well over a pretty brush that doesn't. If it's a pretty brush that lathers well, it's perfect.

A museum for brushes? I'd rather have a lather museum, though the exhibits would be constantly changing, I suppose.

I own 32 brushes. Geez don't tell my wife lol. My favorite brushes to look at are definitely the ones that are artisan hand made. They are just beautiful. But I also really enjoy the budget friendly synthetics the knots now a days are really nice.

I voted that I prefer Badger, but my current brush mix is 50% synthetic, 40% badger, and 10% boar. I voted badger because if I was getting a new high end brush from a maker that I didn't have one of already, I would go with a high end badger knot. That being said I can't knock any of my synthetics, and if I was going for a 2nd brush from a maker, I would be hard pressed not to go with a tuxedo or other highly rated synthetic knot, if I had a choice. And of course there is nothing wrong with a good boar either.
One thing I like about synthetics and the reason I think everyone should have at least one, is you don't have to soak them, just wet them and go.
I think we all like the looks of a fancy and aesthetically pleasing brush, but when it comes right down to it performance is the main thing. Price doesn't necessarily mean performance either. The Stirling Finest Badger is a great feeling and performing knot. I think it is every bit as good as my Simpson Commodore X3 in Best that it costs 2 to 3 times the price. All of my synthetics perform well too. I mean really a there are a lot of $8 to $20 synthetics out there that get great reviews!

To me a brush is a brush, I wont go out and buy an expensive brush. Yes I have a Wolf Whiskers and a Rubberset400, my point is you can spend 100s of pounds or Dollars on a brush, when all the knots come from china and fitted into branded or unbranded.

I use unbranded more they do the job well, my main 3 are Badger Boar then Horse I do have one synthetic but I don't like it.
My main soaps are hard and I have a few creams, yes I would love to see my shave den full of cheap fancy usable brushes.

My favorite brush is the Semogue Owners Club Boar. I have one in Cherrywood and three more in custom Rudy Vey handles. I like badger brushes too and I tend to use my boars and badgers about equally. Performance comes first, but I must confess that I have a weakness for a nice custom handle.

I have about 15 brushes in rotation and about 25 that need restored and reknotted, just can't find the time to do that.
I like all types, but a well broken in boar and synthetics are probably tops for me. My least favorite is a 30mm goat hair kabuki I experimented with, it was like lathering with a fistful of overcooked angel hair pasta.

I currently have 5 brushes. As much as I love the artwork that is a custom handle, if it doesn't perform, it doesn't have a place in my den.

I own two brushes, both boar. I am not a fan of synthetics, which my wife uses because she shaves in the shower. I tried a cheap, pitiful badger brush, so I really don't have a valid opinion as to badger vs boar.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I am totally converted to synthetics - they are all top performers so aesthetics becomes a consideration.
I would rather have a great knot with a pretty handle!

I like quality and robust brush, so it's a little of both... I would like to visit brush museum, but not to own one, I like to use all the stuff I have... And now I prefer synthetic, and before I was boar guy.

i currently own 5 brushes. a semogue boar, an omega boar, and omega synthetic, a parker pure badger, and a gentleman jon best badger. I like the two boars best and equally, then the synthetic, then the parker pure badger and don't really like the best badger at all.

I am sitting on 87 brushes and all are badger. I've tried boar, horse and synthetic brushes and none feel as nice as a good badger brush.

1st off thanks for all the responses they are wonderful. With that Last call to get in on the poll and have your comments on the Show.

Again Thank you all!

Top Bottom