What's new

10K Vs. 12K Naniwa finish

I was just wondering if anyone of you pros out there has done a comparative analysis of 10K Vs. 12K edge, off of Naniwa wet stones.

My dilemma is whether to get a 3K/10K combo Nani and call it a day OR get a 4K/8K Norton combo + the 12K Nani.

Would there be any noticeable difference in performance / feel during the shave between the two?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have both, there isn’t a lot of difference in the edge. The 10k is softer and polishes more for its grit, the 12k is a bit harder. The current 10k is reportedly more like the old pink 12k in it’s hardness/composition.

Can’t go wrong with either IMO.

I have both, there isn’t a lot of difference in the edge. The 10k is softer and polishes more for its grit, the 12k is a bit harder. The current 10k is reportedly more like the old pink 12k in it’s hardness/composition.

Can’t go wrong with either IMO.
Well, as you might've seen, the razor I received just yesterday is a Koraat and all Koraats are honed on a 3K Nani to set the bevel, then 10K Nani finish. I asked the guy who makes them (Ulrik) and this is what he does with all his razors, then strops them and sends them to customers.

He hones them with the tape.

So, if I am to follow his advice, I'd get a 3K/10K combo Nani. The benefit of that one is that I can eventually set the bevel on it, If I ever need to or decide I don't want to use the tape.

Let's say I opt for this 3K/10K Nani, would stropping the razor on a linen loaded with CrOx improve the sharpness further? Asking this, as I'm a firm believer than sharper is better (been shaving with a shavette using Feather blades for a long time and am used to "super sharp").

This is the stone: Naniwa Combination Stone, Super Stone S1, Grit 3000/10 000 | Banksteine | Dictum - https://www.dictum.com/en/banksteine/naniwa-combination-stone-super-stone-s1-grit-300010-000-711356?fbclid=IwAR3PfqYTWd_DFp99mTY8N2T8HMgdkdfyT50iPIpCBoqA_9z_ZEipKslji4M

1596810993490.png

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Naniwa 10k is more popular in Europe than the 12k.

I don’t use paste so I cannot answer from experience, but I’m pretty sure that the answer is ‘yes, paste will boost the keenness/sharpness of a 10k edge’. But you should try the edge that Ulrik puts on it first, the 10k edge may be good for you. I could certainly shave off a Nani 10k edge no problem.

The Naniwa 10k is more popular in Europe than the 12k.

I don’t use paste so I cannot answer from experience, but I’m pretty sure that the answer is ‘yes, paste will boost the keenness/sharpness of a 10k edge’. But you should try the edge that Ulrik puts on it first, the 10k edge may be good for you. I could certainly shave off a Nani 10k edge no problem.
Tnx, 2 days to go. I want my first shave to be on a 4 day growth.

I have korratt razors and yes he does go from 3 k to 10 k and diamond paste and crox .

i would go with 3k which is plenty for bevel correction and the 10 k really does in my experience leave a smooth polished edge . I don’t use paste . I have 12 k and 10 k but prefer the 10k

Tengo maquinillas de afeitar Korratt y sí, van de 3 k a 10 k y pasta de diamante y crox.

Yo elegiría 3k, que es suficiente para la corrección de bisel y, según mi experiencia, 10k realmente deja un borde pulido suave. No uso pasta. Tengo 12k y 10k pero prefiero el 10k
Hello. I assume you are referring to the Super Stone 10k and not the 10k pro.

Top Bottom