What's new

10K area

Anyone have experience with Vermont Green Slate and Imperia La Roccia stones? Web reviews on slate sharpening are all over the place and ILR (likely not slate) apparently wants to keep their source a secret.

Anyone have experience with Vermont Green Slate and Imperia La Roccia stones? Web reviews on slate sharpening are all over the place and ILR (likely not slate) apparently wants to keep their source a secret.

I haven't used either but I can't see why ILR would not reveal what their stones are made of.
They may not want to divulge their source but the make up of the stone should not be an issue.

I have some green slate (likely Vermont) that give a great finish. I have some that are scratchy too.

There are many many slates as hones including many labeled stones and jnats.

But I’m talking about slate that was cut for honing or sharpening of some sort. My green slates I mentioned are almost surely Vermont green slate. But I can be a bit picky and the fact is that unless it has a label or you got it yourself.......how do you or I really know where it is from.

But I wouldn’t answer you and be talking about roofing slate, floor tiles etc :) This is a razor forum so I assume that is what you mean and is a safe assumption of me as well.

Welch slate and raves I dunno but they have been well known and used for a long time like centuries. They can be great stones. I have some very good ones as well as some not so suited for razors. But I don’t have any green Welch slate and can’t think of any right off. Beautiful purples and orbs and greys and blacks. I think I have some Brazilian green slate but never had any that were great for razors.

So trying to not be so pedantic and assuming my green slates are indeed Vermont slate like you asked about, yes, they can be very fine finishers. Not the fastest but smooth edges and sharp. And like I said before too, I have a few very scratchy ones. I have one really pretty light jade colored-swirled one that unfortunately has toxic bias cracks like a jnat even.

Point is, they have a lot of variation. Might be great might not.

Hope that helps !

Thanks all. I found a Welsh slate, Barnwell Dragons Tongue, that I'm going to chance. ILR may be decent stones but they are too coy in marketing them.

Vermont green is available from Griffith Shaving, which looks to be a reputable seller if anyone's interested.

I've read elsewhere that slate honing is slower than with other stones -- guess I'll find out now.

If you are looking for Welch slates, there is a seller in UK who goes by AJ that sources and sells three different types including a purple. Probably your best deal on contemporary cut stones. He sells on the auction site and many have had and used his stones.

Thanks all. I found a Welsh slate, Barnwell Dragons Tongue, that I'm going to chance. ILR may be decent stones but they are too coy in marketing them.

Vermont green is available from Griffith Shaving, which looks to be a reputable seller if anyone's interested.

I've read elsewhere that slate honing is slower than with other stones -- guess I'll find out now.

You may not find the Dragons tongue to be as fine as you were looking for but I hope it is for you.

I know it's been compared to an 8K. If it does that well I should be able to move on with my Tsushima (~12K) or go from 8K to paste strop (?). I based my selection on the many positive reviews on Welsh stone. I could have just as easily gone with Vermont but found a better price for the blue stone.

Thanks.

Dragon's tongue is generally around the 4k-6k mark. You really need to follow that on with something else. AJ sells a set of 3 slates that work well as a progression following the bevel set. The purple is the mid after the Dragon's Tongue.

Inigo Jones still mine Dragon's Tongue hones and theirs are lovely although need lapping well before first use.

If you can find a good vintage Yellow Lake then you are onto a winner for finishing. They can produce a very high finish with oil.
IMG_20200624_1341102~2.jpg

Look for boxed Yellow Lakes only. They are common enough if you keep an eye out.

Th
Dragon's tongue is generally around the 4k-6k mark. You really need to follow that on with something else. AJ sells a set of 3 slates that work well as a progression following the bevel set. The purple is the mid after the Dragon's Tongue.

Inigo Jones still mine Dragon's Tongue hones and theirs are lovely although need lapping well before first use.

If you can find a good vintage Yellow Lake then you are onto a winner for finishing. They can produce a very high finish with oil.View attachment 1117148

Look for boxed Yellow Lakes only. They are common enough if you keep an eye out.
Thanks. I do have a Guangxi that has served me well to date for finishing. How would that compare with a Yellow Lake?

Top Bottom