What's new

1080? 1084? 1095? Your Preferences Please, Gentlemen.

Go 240 if you are undecided. Half the current for the same amount of work. Smaller wire. If you will have to wire a new outlet then meh, maybe 110 not so bad after all. Remember your standard 110 circuit is going to be 15 amps or 20 amps. 20a x 110v = 2.2kw so that's all you can have with 110v. If you use two separate elements you could go to two different circuits and double total power.

I have my oven. Have my 5 gallons of quench oil. Tongs. Rack. Still need to build my twin grinder. Too many other projects. I am going to get rid of my electric boat and GF will sell her boat so I will only have one boat to take care of, maybe that will give me more time. Except darn... I also brew my own beer so that takes up time and I am of course designated plumber, electrician, carpenter, and cook. It sucks being retired. You NEVER get a day off.

Have you decided on a steel? I'm going to practice with1084 then move to 52100 and might order a bar of that m4 think sounds like a good razor steel to me.

I have O1 and I have 1095 and maybe a stick or two of 1080-something or another. A couple of unfinished projects in 01 but I may bypass them for now, start from scratch with the twin grinder and 1095. Not sure. I will do it like I feel it. I made a few barbecue razors in O1 last year. Wasn't all that proud of them, just a learning thing. I didn't expect much, from magnet, charcoal fire and hair dryer setup. They came out razors, just not the best quality razors. It will be better, with a more rigorously controlled method. Meanwhile, oh no, I have a side of cowhide to make into strops, and 20 GD66's to dehorn and hone. Ale to brew, three boats to keep up, two to get ready for sale, and a pickup truck to make inspectable and roadworthy. When you are retired, there are no days off. I hope to get on the grinders by January or February. I may do a quick chef knife or cleaver or something in the meantime, just to get my HT and quench set up with no surprises.