What's new

1000th post PIF

Since my post count went up signifigantly after the creation of "The Brown Leaf" sub-forum, I figured this was the place I should do this. This PIF is open to anyone over the age of 18 and in the CONUS. I am offering two entry level pipes, one large bent billiard and one straight standard billiard. Also up for grabs is about 7 oz of C&D Chocolate Cavendish and one unopened 50g tin of Petersen & Sorensen Danish mixture. I'll also throw in a five cigar sampler of my choice (they'll be good ones). To enter, post in this thread that you are over the age of 18, and what you love most about the fine art of smoking. I'll pick a winner on Sunday the 9th. The winner will be notified in this thread and by PM. I'll post pictures of the goodies later, except for the cigars, that will be for the winner to post upon receiving them.:001_smile

I am over the age of 18, and what I love most about the fine art of smoking is being able to enjoy the multitude of flavors and complexities of tobacco. Something that can't be found smoking bland poisonous tasting cigarettes. Also since I smoke outside, I am able to enjoy the lovely world around me. Smoking surrounded by nature calms my nerves and gives me peace of mind. It also gives me a break from my noisy downstairs neighbors bumping their frigging bass all day long. In fact they are doing it right now. Time for a pipe break :001_smile

Thanks for the extremely generous PIF. :)

Last edited:
I'm not a smoker, so I'll pass. But, this is a very generous PIF! Congrats on hitting your 1000th.

Wow, very very cool! I am (well) over the age of 18. Please enter me in this very generous PIF. Although I've been smoking cigars my entire adult life, I've yet to branch out to the pipe. What I love most about smoking is the relaxing atmosphere that just sets itself when I sit down and light up a good cigar. More often than not I'm sitting with one of my brothers or a friend or two, and I have a glass of Woodford or Eagle Rare in front of me. Relax. Decompress. Enjoy. Ahhh....

Thanks for doing this PIF - it's gestures like this that make B&B such a great place.

Last edited:
Great PIF! I am over the age of 30. I have just recently started smoking cigars and have found something to let me relax and reflect. I have not tried a pipe as of yet....but it is on my short to do list. Thanks again for the great PIF!

Luke

Awesome PIF! I am over 30 and I have smoked cigars here and there for my entire adult life. I just recently got into it more, but I would really like to have the relaxing enjoyment of trying a pipe. Thanks for the opportunity!

Here is a picture for you, I also decided to throw in a tin of Dunhill London mixture, I'm not big on english blends myself, but far be it for me to deny someone else the pleasure.
The straight pipe is a LL Bean, I think it was made by Kaywoodie for the retailer. The bent is a bit of a mystery, the only nomenclature is "St. James" on the shank and "France" on the bit. Both nice pipes, I have not smoked the LL Bean, but the big bent is a nice smoker. I will be cleaning and polishing these so they will be ready to smoke when they arrive. Good luck!

Attachments

• $pif1.jpg
    $pif1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 169
I am over 18 and what I like about smoking is the constant epiphanies about new flavors I find in a particular tobacco. I also like how smoking relaxes me and lets me slow down a bit. It's my anti-stressant. Also, I am a cigarette smoker that would like to try some finer types of tobacco.

Last edited:
jmallen5 - a fine offer you have on the table, sir. If you'll indulge me in my attempt at this, I would be appreciative. I am over 18 years old. Squarely in the 30 years territory, to be more accurate.

I must admit, I have not smoked a pipe, but I am in the midst of carving one from a block of briar. So if you don't mind my putting a little twist on this, I'll share why I look forward to smoking a pipe.

As in all things, personal experience is just that; personal. One of my favorite things to do is to associate myself with others who are interested in sharing their experience with the uncommon. For example, I love to run. I'll run when it's 10F below zero, or a heat index of 115F. I'm just as happy to set out for a run at 4:15am, or right after dinner. As pleased as I am to run my own route at my own pace, I believe a good running buddy elevates the game. Energy can almost be shared, and oh, that elusive runner's high! You'll know it when you get it. Every Saturday morning, I meet up with a few friends to run 25-30 miles through the woods on rough trails. Even though we always end up back at the same place, we always grow closer to each other by having shared the trail. It's a kind of friendship and comraderie that can't be had for these fellas in pounding the pavement for a few blocks. It's something beyond that. Beyond "common," too.
If we lived life in a vacuum and were unable to have common experiences, and share our unique perceptions of them, that would be dull. For example, while I enjoy a small dram of a fine single malt on one of these cool midwest Autumn evenings, alone with my thoughts about the sensory overload, I can't help but want to share. Slick glass, potent aroma of sherried whiskey, and an almost indescribable velvety spice on the tongue. It begs to be talked about!
I believe that smoking a pipe will evoke a similar response. I have been doing some writing lately, and hope to publish my first children's book in the next 18mo. It can be a frustrating experience, and sometimes I have to step away from the project to unwind. A pipe would be ideal in those scenarios. Besides, if it is good enough for Mark Twain, it is good enough for me! This is the individualistic side of things.
On the other hand, I am excited about the prospect of meeting other pipe smokers. To hear their stories and absorb their wisdom will be a significant part of this adventure for me. By it's very nature, a pipe asks to share itself. Smoke wafts from the bowl and drifts from nose to nose. It doesn't descriminate. It gives itself away until there is nothing left but the memory of its former scent. It can be shared, but it cannot be stuffed back into the pipe.
Finally, there is the romantic notion that pipes are a lost (although resurgent) art, and I appreciate that. Like shaving with a DE razor (I'm trying), or knowing how to drive a manual transmission. My grandpa used to smoke a pipe before he switched to cigarettes. A shame, really. I was probably 8 years old at that time, and loved the deep, rich, scent of tobacco at my grandparents' house. Part of me wishes he would switch back. Still, maybe he and I will be able to have a pipe together next time I get back to Spokane. Separated by being born 50 years apart, yet brought together by something so simple. There is a basic sense of inclusion surrounding the legacy and tradition of smoking a pipe of which I want to be a part.
Whether it be in the solitude of my own hunting or fishing excursion, or in the company of an old war vet, or with a few new friends over a glass of Tobermory, I look forward to joining the brothers of the briar.

Thank you,
~B

I am 18. The things I enjoy the most is the variety of tastes and experiences one get from tobaccos of all price ranges. Smoking forces me to slow down, I stop the rush of homework, battalion paperwork and dorm craziness to slow down and properly smoke my pipe or enjoy a cigar. BTW thank you for the PIF it's extremely generous of you.

Wow, great PIF! :w00t:

I am over the age of 18, 38 to be exact, and I would love to be included.

What I like most about smoking cigars is that it forces me to take a time out and relax. A good cigar will not allow you to rush through it, and the fact that it is a good cigar makes you want to savor the experience.

Beyond that, much like shaving with the wide assortment of gear that most of us around here use, it allows me to indulge in an affordable luxury item. For $10 or less, I can smoke a truly fine cigar that has been handcrafted by someone that is a master of their craft, quite possibly dating back through generations of others in their family who have rolled cigars smoked by great men (and women) around the world.

Count me in! I am 24 and just received my first pipe last month. I have smoked cigars for a couple of years now. Thanks for the generosity!

I enjoy smoking because it is one of the "little pleasures" in life. Sitting outside with the cool breeze blowing, and nothing but the sound of the crinkling leaves. The taste of the smoke as it billows around your mouth and the toasty smell under your nose. The serenity of just you and your smoke or the pleasure of good company. A good scotch or bourbon in your other hand adds to the enjoyment. The knowledge that people long passed enjoyed sitting down after a hard day at work and having a bowl. The fact that my favorite crooner Bing Crosby enjoyed a pipe and one of my favorite theologians Charles Spurgeon enjoyed cigars. I smoke cigars and pipes for the same reason that I wet shave. It is an experience, something to be savored. It is a time to slow down and enjoy the moment as the world passes you by at a million miles an hour. It is for the scents in the air and the realization that life is pretty awesome. For sturdy, lasting, handmade craft in an age of cheap machine made profits. Pipes are so good even my wife loves the smell of an aromatic tobacco wafting through the air and wanted to taste it for herself as we take a walk through the neighborhood after dark. Aye, it is good indeed.

I'm in, too! Very generous, my good man!

I enjoy the hour or so I get to relax and not deal with anything stressful...granted the taste and aroma is great and not offputting. But, to sit on my deck with my dog and iPad in the sun or in the shade, or under the umbrella in the rain, is relaxing.

I am over 18. By 10 years.

I have a couple estate Petersons, but haven't tried a wide variety of content for them yet.

I think my favorite thing about the pipe is the same for a DE shave, which recently led me here. It's the simple process of filling, packing, and lighting, that I find most gratifying. I'm only an occasional smoker, but the process makes me feel and behave in a much more contemplative way. It relaxes and stimulates at the same time!

I can't say I have much experience with cigars, but I imagine I'll enjoy them as well!

Thanks for the PIF!

The chocolate and the Dunhill? Mystery cigars? Count me in!

The Moose and I haven't enjoyed a nice pipe in a while.
proxy.php

I always make the turkeys for a Thanksgiving group of 22-25 (ten years running) and love sitting around after with the old guys and sliding them a cigar when their wife isn't looking.

Congrats on the 1000 fine posts. Cheers to 10,000.

Oh yeah, I'm over 18.

Last edited:
Thank you for the PIF…

I am over 18

When I smoke, I walk. It’s a rare moment to slow down, think and enjoy a simple pleasure. It’s an island of indulgence and selfishness.

Very generous of you and a great way to commemorate 1000 posts. That's quite a lot of posts!

I'm 23. The thing I enjoy most about the art of fine tobacco is the camaraderie and relaxation. Smoking a nice cigar is the only thing that I know of that you can do in a crowded, noisy tavern or in your back yard on a quiet starry night.

I have yet to delve into pipe tobacco, but I know more than a few people who do and it really interests me.

Again, thank you for this offer!

I'm definitely over the age of 18. I have a 20 year old daughter and I have a love for finer tobacco. Cigars are hard thing to find in the little town and the smoke shop near me tries to sell RYO cigarette tobacco as pipe tobacco to save on taxes.
I haven't had a pipe since I was stationed in Germany back '88

The PIF will be open for a few more hours, basically when I finish a few projects I am working on I will use the random number generator to determine the winner. If that number post qualifies, it's the winner.

Top Bottom