What's new

1000, 3000, 6000, Thuringian

IMHO it really depends on what synthetic stones are used and the ability of the person using them.
I have Shapton and Naniwa synth systems and correct honing to 8K on either opens the door for a multitude of finishing techniques including Thuringians.
Does this mean you can't get there from a well executed 1,3,6K edge?
Of coarse not, this will likely be determined by the stones you will use and your ability to use them, some people shave off 6K edges I'm just not one of them.
If I am going to use a synthetic progression to start my edge development and then use only one finishing stone that progression will likely end at 8-10K depending on what finisher I would be using.
If I had to rely on only three synthetic stones and then one of my Thuri's it would likely be a 1,4.8K progression.

It also depends quite a bit on the thuri. Not all thuringians are razor quality. Some may actually be a step down from the 6k.

IMHO it really depends on what synthetic stones are used and the ability of the person using them.
I have Shapton and Naniwa synth systems and correct honing to 8K on either opens the door for a multitude of finishing techniques including Thuringians.
Does this mean you can't get there from a well executed 1,3,6K edge?
Of coarse not, this will likely be determined by the stones you will use and your ability to use them, some people shave off 6K edges I'm just not one of them.
If I am going to use a synthetic progression to start my edge development and then use only one finishing stone that progression will likely end at 8-10K depending on what finisher I would be using.
If I had to rely on only three synthetic stones and then one of my Thuri's it would likely be a 1,4.8K progression.
Thank you. I have shaved off my Thuringian followed by pasted strop.

Thank you. I have shaved off my Thuringian followed by pasted strop.
In that particular case then I would offer that you are shaving off of a pasted strop edge.
I think of pasted strops as a honing-finishing technique that can significantly change the edge produced by the last stone or film used on that edge.
Victor is spot on also, natural stones have to be evaluated as to their actual performance on any given edge. Your stone may be a finisher, if it were mine to evaluate I would test it following a correctly honed 8K edge and only strop on clean leather before testing (HHT) and shaving to judge the edge produced.

In that particular case then I would offer that you are shaving off of a pasted strop edge.
I think of pasted strops as a honing-finishing technique that can significantly change the edge produced by the last stone or film used on that edge.
Victor is spot on also, natural stones have to be evaluated as to their actual performance on any given edge. Your stone may be a finisher, if it were mine to evaluate I would test it following a correctly honed 8K edge and only strop on clean leather before testing (HHT) and shaving to judge the edge produced.
I'm going to use the Thuringian again and not strop with the paste.

Okay, so my 1 micron film is 8K. I can do that and I predict it will be a good shave.

Top Bottom