What's new

100 shaves in

Well this morning I finally hit the 100 mark. I've been using a straight since February, but I only shave every other day and I use a DE when I am traveling, so it took me a bit longer to get here.

I still feel like my shaves continue to improve, but not as much as in the beginning. There was a pretty steep learning curve for the first dozen or so shaves, and from there the shaves got slowly better each time. I had just two full on cuts, and the occasional weeper, but nothing too bad. I learned that it is not a good idea to use a straight when you are in a hurry or are angry/agitated/stressed.

I have you all to thank for advice and tips that you have shared here. I don't think I would have continued down this path if I didn't have this resource.

Cheers!

Glad to have you here! How are you keeping your razor sharp? Pastes or honing yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal! I just finished straight only shave number 16. I’ve probably got about 60 first pass shaves prior to that.

Glad to have you here! How are you keeping your razor sharp? Pastes or honing yourself?

I’ve been using lapping film every few months, and getting better with film each time. I’m thinking about getting a 12k Naniwa finisher, but afraid to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve been using lapping film every few months, and getting better with film each time. I’m thinking about getting a 12k Naniwa finisher, but afraid to go down that rabbit hole.

Watch for after Christmas sales ... maybe Amazon. A 1k, 5k, 8k, 12k Naniwa set is nice.

Please go before I have to....LOL;)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, and thanks for the tip on after Christmas sales on stones. I will be keeping an eye out, and I don't think I will need much pushing to fall down the hole.

Congrats @jdp93! 100 is a big milestone.

The improvement will continue, but you're right, it's at a slower pace. It's all good though because at this point you can enjoy your shave without needing huge leaps of insight or performance.

Happy shaves to you!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

After I used film for a while, I bought a 12K Naniwa. And you know what? I prefer the film - never use the stone.

Congrats - I hit #88 this morning, personally.

After starting on films, I eventually found that I kind of liked 1 um film finishes. I found these edges to be comfortable yet not too sharp for me. I tried 0.3 um film and higher-grit pastes a bit, but I found that I got a slightly more irritation and random small cuts, especially with the 0.1 um diamond edge.

I also got a coticule and a DMT D8C to play around with. I can get an edge that shaves but it still isn't quite sharp enough for me. Pulls a bit on the hairs along my upper lip, jawline and below.

Then I got the 8k and 12k superstones (the thick ones). I am currently using these stones once a week. 15 x strokes on the 8k and 10 x strokes on the 12k. Tunes up my edges pretty nicely. To be honest, it is nice to work on shaving technique and not worry about honing. When the "honing bug" comes back, I will revisit the balsa hones and the coti.

Just for reference, all of my razors came shave-ready. I do not restore razors or otherwise have heavy honing needs.

Then I got the 8k and 12k superstones (the thick ones). I am currently using these stones once a week.

That often eh ? And going back to 8 as well.
Not saying you shouldn't, I don't know anything about honing at all, but same as @jdp93 am considering getting 12k, starting there and see where that takes me.

Congrats on 100 shaves @jdp93 I'm pretty sure I'm over 100 mark now, but stopped counting at around 50 or so.
Recently have been on a bit of a buying spree myself, was just to curious about difference between various razors (plus some look incredibly cool too).

That often eh ? And going back to 8 as well.
Not saying you shouldn't, I don't know anything about honing at all, but same as @jdp93 am considering getting 12k, starting there and see where that takes me.

I haven't done an exhaustive study - it is only what I do now and it seems to work. I read one post where a guy said he always started one level below where he was finishing. Dr. Matt in the coticule videos also did this. Possibly I interpreted it as simply an excuse to buy another stone, who knows. Maybe once every two weeks would work for me. Maybe less x strokes - these stones are pretty fast. My experience is minuscule.

I haven't done an exhaustive study - it is only what I do now and it seems to work. I read one post where a guy said he always started one level below where he was finishing. Dr. Matt in the coticule videos also did this. Possibly I interpreted it as simply an excuse to buy another stone, who knows. Maybe once every two weeks would work for me. Maybe less x strokes - these stones are pretty fast. My experience is minuscule.

My razors were all shave ready. I basically strop them. When I get the feeling they aren’t doing the job, or I’m wondering if they could do better, I take them to my Naniwa 12K for 12 to 20 laps.

I don’t want to over-sharpen them, and I’m looking for the sweet spot. When I know what that is, I will probably move to film. I have it in my head that film would make it too easy to over-sharpen and I need to know when to quit.

Top Bottom