What's new

100 ct blade pack (deciding which brand ).

Going to get 100 shark platinum or bic chrome platinum. Both have given me a full weeks shave 6 days with no problems. Bics seem sharper. Maybe get both?

Whatever works best for you.
But having a few different brands is best so you can change up now and then.
Only buy 100ct if your absolutely sure those are best for you. Meaning you have tested 30 or 40 different blades as only then you can be sure.

Going to get 100 shark platinum or bic chrome platinum. Both have given me a full weeks shave 6 days with no problems. Bics seem sharper. Maybe get both?

First, Welcome!

You're new here. At least 90% of the posts will say "Get both."

That includes me if you've tried a blade sampler sometime in the past.

But it's your money and your face. Do what suits YOU.
Both of the blades you mention have admirers here.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm not a big fan of Sharks so I'd hit the BIC. Welcome to B&B!

Reactions: nav
I found that if I buy blades in 50s they aren't much more per blade than 100s. They are cheap enough anyway, but I hate wastage and the thought I may never use all 100.

BIC is my favorite blade!

It's sharp but well mannered...never harsh or aggressive (unless it's in a razor that doesn't pair well).
I get 7 shaves per BIC.

If you like the BICs, I'd just get those. That might last you around two years, so no need to hurry. You can sample some other blades during that time for variety. That will help you decide what to get for your next pack of 100.

I like trying samples from time to time, just to see what else is out there.

Don't need think twice to buy 100 blades. There is no expiration date on blades packs.

Even a "bad" blade can give at least a decent shave IF you pair it with the RIGHT RAZOR for it.

Once about ten years ago I bought 300 Supermax Stainless just because it was so inexpensive. Surely one of worst blades I ever tried (and I knew it) and even with the "right" razor and a little patience it gives me good enough shaves.

Don't listen to me.

I bought a Merkur HD and 100 Astra SP blades right out of the gate. Both got a LOT of love here and elsewhere as good, middle-of-the-road, play-in-safe shaving tools.

And you know what? They both work just fine. Well enough for me to be confident that if I never bought another blade, I could get 6 good, smooth, irritation-free shaves out of the Astra blades, and I now own hundreds.

I've moved on to a different razor (and have many yet to try) but to be consistent, I always start with an Astra blade since I kind of know what to expect from the blade...it's become my baseline blade.

I've since bought other, sharper blades (currently using a Bic Chrome Platinum) but the nice thing is that for $10-15 you can still try a bunch for little investment.

None of this means you shouldn't get a sampler, but I haven't tried 50 different blades and am perfectly happy with the handful that I have tried, and have yet to regret spending $15 on 100 blades. Maybe it's purely my inexperience, and ignorance - not knowing how much better or worse things could be...so to be safe, I refer you back to the very first sentence in this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: edw
Don't listen to me.

I bought a Merkur HD and 100 Astra SP blades right out of the gate. Both got a LOT of love here and elsewhere as good, middle-of-the-road, play-in-safe shaving tools.

And you know what? They both work just fine. Well enough for me to be confident that if I never bought another blade, I could get 6 good, smooth, irritation-free shaves out of the Astra blades, and I now own hundreds.

I've moved on to a different razor (and have many yet to try) but to be consistent, I always start with an Astra blade since I kind of know what to expect from the blade...it's become my baseline blade.

I've since bought other, sharper blades (currently using a Bic Chrome Platinum) but the nice thing is that for $10-15 you can still try a bunch for little investment.

None of this means you shouldn't get a sampler, but I haven't tried 50 different blades and am perfectly happy with the handful that I have tried, and have yet to regret spending $15 on 100 blades. Maybe it's purely my inexperience, and ignorance - not knowing how much better or worse things could be...so to be safe, I refer you back to the very first sentence in this post.
Liked your post. Thx

Top Bottom