What's new

10 years shaving and still not happy

Hi guys

tl;dr: I have very strong facial hair and I like to be clean-shaven (ideally, I'd like a smooth face every day). Gillette Fusion (Power) does not do the job without some time and pain. I have to shave ATG a couple times or more to get really clean, and that means lots of cuts here and there. Can electric razors do a better job? Or do I need to go back to basics and adopt the classic safety razor? Would that surprisingly be a better fit for my face?

Background: It has been a frustrating 10 years. Shaving has always been a chore. It means 15-30 minutes in the bathroom just to shave; it is a real POTF (pain on the face). I started shaving ATG very, very early on because a straight down trip wouldn't cut anything (I didn't use foam/lather or aftershave back then, which was probably bad practice and led to even stronger regrowth). My stubbles are stubborn like no other; only several swipes of ATG while pulling the skin can get rid of them.

So, over the years, the ATG habit has no doubt actually made the hairs even more durable. I have climbed the Gillette ladder, from 2, 3 to 4 blades. I have been using the Fusion (first the manual, then power, but not the glide) since its inception, probably around 5 years already. However, I don't think the extra blades are doing any better. I have brown skin and so always have razor bumps form after a day or so (yes, they all grow back in less than 12 hours). Because every shave means I cut myself (ATG always cuts somewhere), I become a brown guy with a red face at the start of the day.

The frequency of shaving has decreased over the years. When I was young and had regular dates I used to shave every single day (I expected I'd kiss that day and my girl wouldn't like to kiss stubbles). At the most, I'd do styles like the chin strip sometimes with a curtain to attract some attention. I am generally hairier than my friends, including on the face (or my hairs are stronger). As I aged I grew sick and tired of shaving. I had to save time. Now I shave every two days or so. If I have no social event or date it can stretch to a couple days more until I have a fully visible young beard. During emergencies I usually just leave a circle beard since that part of the face is the hardest to shave. And I don't really look good unshaven, as I've received the "why don't you shave?" question from women and men alike.

My kit is pretty standard. Off-the-shelf ready-made lather (Gillette), the razor, and then aftershave (I adopted this very late and maybe I had less burns and bumps since). It's not that I haven't had a perfect shave. I have - but a perfect shave currently means a long time spent shaving and pain afterwards (burns, bumps). I'm looking for the really perfect shave - one that will leave a smooth job and create no burn or bump.

I have never tried electric razors fearing my investment would go down the drain. I need to be certain that it can deal with my stubbles and I don't think a budget electric shaving kit can. I have also never tried shaving at the barber, or the single blade, or the classic safety razor that my father had as a relic. I really think the solution is in one of these things that I've yet to try. What do YOU think?

I think a DE or SE would solve the problem with propper technique and propper prep. My suggestion would be to at a minimium start off with a good brush and soap or cream. For prep (if you are not already) shave after a shower. Wet your face as soon as you get in and keep it wet. When you get out dont dry your face and before you lather wet your face again. Depending on what stores you have near you you could find a brush and cream or soap or there are many places online to buy stuff. See if you have a bath and body works near you and pick up some CO Bigelow cream. Its great stuff and easy to find. It does have menthol in it so if that bothers your skin you would have to try something else. Cheap brushes can be found a walmart etc or you could buy some online. Then get into DE shaving. Take it one step at a time and see what works

good luck!

Hello schtick, welcome to Badger and Blade!

I'd say that you've come to the right place. From what you've described (coarse facial hair and persistent razor bumps) I think your shaving experience could be immensely improved by using that "relic" of your father's or perhaps a newer one like it, but even more important is to get proper prep going so that the hair cuts more easily, so shower before shaving, and switch away from Gillette gunk in a can. Proper prep would probably make a world of difference for you. I'm on my phone now, so I won't link myself, but I encourage you to take a look through some of the wikis and stickies to get a feel for what I'm talking about.

I'm confident that you could be looking at your solution though!

Hi schtick - welcome!

So, I used an electric for a while. I could never get a close enough shave. I climbed the Gillette ladder too, and found that it was actually worse when I used the carts that had more blades. When I switched to using a mild double edged (DE) razor and shaving soap with a brush, I found that I can shave everyday, and while I can't get a BBS (baby-butt smooth) shave everyday, I get an excellent shave with zero irritation.

I would highly recommend using a DE razor with a quality cream or soap (not the canned stuff) and a brush. Once you've gotten used to shaving with a DE, I think you'll find it's a much higher quality shave.

Welcome Schtick!

It's been my experience that electric shavers are the most painful device of shaving torture ever invented.

I think that good prep, a hot towel or shower followed by a good shave soap and brush, will help right from the start. Then ditch the multiblade cartridge razors and learn to shave with a safety razor. It's the next best thing to straight razors, which, btw, I recommend highly. There is a learning curve involved, and you should start off with a blade sampler to find what works with your razor and face.

A cheap and easy way to get started is the Van Der Hagen shave set, available at some big dept stores like wally world and target. http://www.amazon.com/Van-Der-Hagen-Premium-Shave/dp/B001A3HPT0

Welcome to the forum. I was in a very similar circumstance with my shaving. I have also been shaving my head for 12 years and I would end up shaving like once every 4-5 days. The stubble-grunge look was my typical cycle. When I discovered traditional wet shaving it took the chore out of shaving. I started shaving at night so I had time to learn proper technique without being rushed and I have remained a night shaver a.k.a. "Vampire Shaver". My facial hair is like trying to shave barbed wire and my first DE razor, a traditional adjustable TTO Gillette, was not quite getting it done. I read about open combs here and picked up a Gillette "New". The shaves improved even more. Next it was my birthday and I wanted a modern DE razor and chose the Muhle R41. If you have very coarse hair, this razor is an excellent choice IMHO. It is a love hate relationship, but those of us who love it swear by it. There is a learning curve with this razor, but heed the advice and it will yield some of the best shaves of your life. Now my journey is taking me into straight razor shaving. I have a few shaves, both face and head, under my belt without incident. I must say, there are a couple spots on my neck where even the R41 has a hard time getting a BBS shave, but the straight does the job. I look forward to shaving every day and I am really enjoying where this journey has taken me. The ladies and gentlemen of this forum are some of the finest people you will meet anywhere and the advice is priceless to anyone who pays attention. Good luck on your journey and I hope traditional wet shaving takes the chore out of your routine also. Welcome again to the B&B and good shaves to you.

Welcome to B&B. You got some good advice so far. Here are some links to our shavewiki that you'll want to read through if you decide to make the switch to tradition wet shaving (DE/SE/Straight + brush and soap/cream).

Take a look through the "Intro" section here:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/

I would also recommend you watch some of the shaving intro videos by "mantic59" on YouTube. He's got a whole series of funny and helpful videos from introduction to more advanced topics.

So, just curious...what does "tl;dr:" mean?

Welcome Schtick!

It's been my experience that electric shavers are the most painful device of shaving torture ever invented.

I think that good prep, a hot towel or shower followed by a good shave soap and brush, will help right from the start. Then ditch the multiblade cartridge razors and learn to shave with a safety razor. It's the next best thing to straight razors, which, btw, I recommend highly. There is a learning curve involved, and you should start off with a blade sampler to find what works with your razor and face.

A cheap and easy way to get started is the Van Der Hagen shave set, available at some big dept stores like wally world and target. http://www.amazon.com/Van-Der-Hagen-Premium-Shave/dp/B001A3HPT0

+1

Be patient, it only gets better!

And welcome aborad!

Welcome to the forum and i would highly suggest starting DE shaving! It has been the best thing that i have ever done to my face! Good luck.

Welcome Schtick!

I disagree, the electric razor was never painful for me. Shaving with a bladed razor before was incredibly painful because I have thicker facial hair and it would just pull. I do well with a DE now, shaving every day, DFS+ daily.

The problem I had with the electric razor is that 1) it was never close enough stubbley soon after shaving and 2) it would leave me some razor bumps when the hairs grew back in so I couldn't even shave daily with an electric.

Welcome to the forum!

You just can't go wrong with upgrading your shaving routine. You really can't. Even if a DE and a high quality cream didn't improve the actual result of your shave (which I would be surprised), having high quality components just makes shaving so much more enjoyable. It changes it from a chore to something you look forward to.
I can't shave ATG, so your story of doing multiple passes really made me cringe! But to each his own.
Pick up as much of the following as you want to:
-Pre-Shave Oil (AoS or Pacific Shaving company are great)
-A high quality shaving cream or soap (no more foam in a can)
-A badger hair brush. No need to break the bank on one.
-A DE razor or a straight razor and strop. You can get a vintage Gillette on eBay or at an antique store, or purchase a Merkur razor. Both are great, and there are many more out there.
-I personally love using Witch Hazel directly after shaving. Reduces all the irritation and redness from a really close shave. Some people prefer alum.
-An aftercare product. My go to is Nivea Sensitive balm, but there are tons of balms and splashes out there.

Wow, thank you all so much for the helpful response and warm welcome! I'm glad you all read my story and not just the tl;dr (too long; don't read) part - sorry for not expanding the acronym.

I knew it! Some time in the past I happened to channel-surf on TV and came across this Discovery/NatGeo/T&L documentary that revealed the barber shave was the best shave, including a hot towel for prep, a nice manual lather, and artful WTG strokes with a straight razor. For some reason I did not pay much attention as I dismissed the idea as being too expensive, but I think that left a big impression because I've had this lingering suspicion that I'm doing something wrong every time I buy a new Gillette upgrade. Hence my little online research, culminating in this forum post.

My next stop was going to be an electric, had I not stumbled upon the information that you guys and gals (and others before you) have collectively established. So, a couple hundred bucks saved from being wasted ;) My priority now is to look up brushes and creams, since those are pretty new things to me. And I also have some reading to do at the wiki. I'm really excited to get this going, so I'll return on a later date in the not-so-distant future to post my results. Thank you all once again!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Now...Step One, toss the canned shaving goo and get some real shaving soap and a brush. At least you'll soften the hairs out before you try to mow them down. As for finding the right razor it's a wonderous journey. I started off with an old Gillette Super Speed and just kept going until I found the razor that works for me. Getting there is half the fun.

Welcome. With some practice, and following the advice in the stickies, you'll soon be amazed at what DE and good cream or soap can do for you. Enjoy your shaves!

Welcome to B&B! The other gents gave some really good advice, and I fully endorse it. Since I started wetshaving with my DE razor I've found that this chore has become a pleasure!

Top Bottom