What's new

10 years later--time for a new blade sampler

I just realized I've been using a DE razor for 10 years! To celebrate, I decided to get a blade sampler with a bunch of popular blades that I either never tried, or only tried once or twice many years ago and wrote them off as not for me. My preferred DE blades are Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and Derby Premium. For Artist Club, I like the Feather Pro (in ATT SE-1 and Razorock Hawk) and Feather Pro-Guard (in Feather Artist Club SS). Here's what I ordered from try a blade:

Feather Hi-stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Voskhod
Perma-Sharp Super
Wizamet Super-Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
Kai Stainless Steel
Bic Chrome Platinum
Bic Astor Stainless
Lord Platinum
Bolzano
Timor

For Artist Club, I got Kai Captain Sharpblade, Kai Captain Pro Touch, and Schick Proline P30

Of these, the only ones I know I've tried before are the Bic Chrome Platinum and Schick Proline--but I wrote them off as not as good as my preferred blades. But it's been a long time and people generally like these two, so I'm giving them another shot. There are many other popular blades not on my list (i.e. Astra) but that's because I've used some of those other blades enough times to know they aren't for me. I'm hoping this is fun and I find another blade or two to add to my rotation. Best case--I find a new favorite. Worst case--I hate them all and stick to what I already know and love.

Just an FYI on how I chose my blades. I sorted "most popular" at try a blade and just started adding blades I hadn't tried to my cart. I stopped when I started getting to blades I'd never heard of (and skipped some I knew came from the same factory) and realized I was at 13. Since I'm superstitious, I dropped a Canadian blade called Shaverboy. Anyone ever try this one?

The "Canadian" Shaverboy comes up every now and then. They are made in China and about as bad as Rockwell blades I have heard. You did good to drop that one.

The KAI Pro Touch is the one I just dug out and put in. I didn't like it in my Hawk and apparently only used a couple blades. In my General, I can't feel the little teeth and they don't try to grab my mustache. That is now my irritated face, but I need to shave blade.

I did something similar at the beginning of the month, although I am slightly short of a decade yet. I ordered several kinds of blades on RBC from brands I have never used* + one known blade tuck, Kai. Since I am currently pushing a Personna Med to see whether it is Excalibur-fit, I decided to try each blade at the beginning of each week (i.e. on my 3d+ beard) and using the Personna for the rest. The Kai disappointed me today which is the same experience I had 4 years ago with it in a different razor. I expect I will finish testing by the end of the month, since I don't tolerate uncomfortable shaves and I toss a blade if uncomfortable even mid-shave.
The point of my experiment is to find, if possible, a blade suitable for daily shaving which is more affordable and easy to find than a Personna Med. In my experience so far, Feather is best for multiple-day growth and when fresh, but not good for repeated, frequent shaves. The Personna Med is the opposite. All other I have tried (pretty much everything else on RBC) have disappointed me so far, with Rapira Platinum and Voskhod feeling as good as Personna but rusting very quickly.

* Here is my order summary:

Kai – Stainless Steel
Personna - Lab Blue
Tatra Platinum
Tiger Superior
Abest Hi Platinum
Baili Platinum BP001
Cloud Bruce Lee
Gillette - 7 o'Clock - Super Platinum
Gillette - Nacet Stainless
Gillette - Rubie Platinum
Laser - Super Platinum
Laser - Ultra
Loi Titanium
Lord - Platinum Premium
Muster Shaver
Racer - Super Stainless
Rimei - Stainless
Topaz
Treet - 7 Days Platinum
Ying Jili Red
Ying Jili Blue
Zorrik - Super Platinum

I did something similar at the beginning of the month, although I am slightly short of a decade yet. I ordered several kinds of blades on RBC from brands I have never used* + one known blade tuck, Kai. Since I am currently pushing a Personna Med to see whether it is Excalibur-fit, I decided to try each blade at the beginning of each week (i.e. on my 3d+ beard) and using the Personna for the rest. The Kai disappointed me today which is the same experience I had 4 years ago with it in a different razor. I expect I will finish testing by the end of the month, since I don't tolerate uncomfortable shaves and I toss a blade if uncomfortable even mid-shave.
The point of my experiment is to find, if possible, a blade suitable for daily shaving which is more affordable and easy to find than a Personna Med. In my experience so far, Feather is best for multiple-day growth and when fresh, but not good for repeated, frequent shaves. The Personna Med is the opposite. All other I have tried (pretty much everything else on RBC) have disappointed me so far, with Rapira Platinum and Voskhod feeling as good as Personna but rusting very quickly.

* Here is my order summary:

Kai – Stainless Steel
Personna - Lab Blue
Tatra Platinum
Tiger Superior
Abest Hi Platinum
Baili Platinum BP001
Cloud Bruce Lee
Gillette - 7 o'Clock - Super Platinum
Gillette - Nacet Stainless
Gillette - Rubie Platinum
Laser - Super Platinum
Laser - Ultra
Loi Titanium
Lord - Platinum Premium
Muster Shaver
Racer - Super Stainless
Rimei - Stainless
Topaz
Treet - 7 Days Platinum
Ying Jili Red
Ying Jili Blue
Zorrik - Super Platinum
Awesome. I love the list.

I made a similar order from them just to try out different blades. The Tatra was the worst, must have been a dud.

I'll just throw this out there... Using B&B's own Great Blade Exchange you can trade in 2 each of your blades in exchange for 2 blades of your choosing. Take a look at the list of available blades, quite impressive. The only limitation is you have to send in as many different brands of blades as you are taking out. In exchange, I'll send you 2 of all the blades you want to try, for the cost of a postage stamp!

47 Gillette Aristocrat / brazilian Gillette Super Thin Mejorada (2)
20211125_163737.jpg

Quick update. I participated in the Kai/Feather challenge and have been using those the last two weeks. My overall impression was the Feather felt better on the first shave, but degraded quickly and is done by about shave 3 to 5. The Kai wasn't as good on the first shave, but felt better for subsequent shaves. I'd rank Kai above the Feather. However, both are a lot more expensive than what I currently use, and aren't as comfortable on my skin, so I won't be buying either of these.

So with what I've tried, only the GSB has wowed me enough that I'd buy a bunch.

Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary. I’m not there yet but I have started revisiting previous razor and blade choices. It is a great idea!!!:001_smile

Still revisiting blades and am at the halfway point of my sampler. Voskhod was a great blade--comfortable and long lasting. I can see why it's a staple for so many people--especially when they can be found under $10 for 100. I'd add it to the GSB as one that I'd buy a bunch.

I moved on to the Bic Astor. Funny thing--I didn't care for the Chrome Platinum Bic, but the Astor has been the exact opposite experience for me. Sharp, comfortable, long lasting. It doesn't get mentioned as much on B&B, but since it was listed as a top choice on Try a Blade, I added it to the cart. Another nice choice that's a little cheaper than the Chrome Platinum, although a bit tougher to find in the US.

My rankings so far (in order of preference):

GSB
Voskhod
Bic Astor
Kai Stainless
Feather Hi-stainless
Bic Chrome Platinum

Still left to try:
Perma-Sharp Super
Wizamet Super-Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
Lord Platinum
Bolzano
Timor

My journey continues and I've been using the Wizamet Super Iridium and Perma Sharp. Both excellent blades that I can't say anything bad about, but lots of good. The top four of those I've tried would likely work well for many (most?)--even though YMMV still applies. Starting with Bic Astor and down, they are still solid choices but I'd expect reviews to become more mixed.

My rankings so far (in order of preference):

GSB
Wizamet Super-Iridium
Voskhod
Perma-Sharp Super
Bic Astor
Kai Stainless
Feather Hi-stainless
Bic Chrome Platinum

Still left to try:
Rapira Platinum Lux
Lord Platinum
Bolzano
Timor

Short update on my rankings so far (in order of preference); this is challenging because a lot of these are good blades that I could use regularly, and I acknowledge there may be recency bias:

GSB
Wizamet Super-Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod
Perma-Sharp Super
Bic Astor
Kai Stainless
Feather Hi-stainless
Bic Chrome Platinum

Still left to try:
Lord Platinum
Bolzano
Timor

I saw a thread about how Wizamet might be having some quality issues? If so, that's really too bad.

Top Bottom