What's new

10 years in, finally found a smooth blade

Based on so-so reviews, it is not one I would not have purchased. It luckily came to me as a free sample with an order placed at Fendrihan.

I’ve tried a dozen or so brands over the years, and most made it onto my “will do” list that I could happily live with (in no particular order: Feather, Astra SP, Astra Stainless, Personna Platinum(Germany), Personna Platinum and Chrome Platinum(Israel), Van Der Hagen, King C. Gillette, and Nacet). Only two have been relegated to the “never again…rather go back to carts” list (Bic Chrome Platinum, and the Wilkinson Swords made in Germany).

So after all these years, and all these brands the first one to make make me say to myself ”ooo, that’s smooth” is the Czech made Tiger Platinum. It doesn't last quite as long as some of the others on the ”will do” list, but it’s more comfortable for a quick shave or times when your skin is raw or dry (i.e. harsh wintertime). It feels as though it might be a little bit narrower than other blades, or perhaps the corners (not the edges) are rounded over, whatever the difference, it feels good to me. BTW, my current goto razor is a Fatip open comb slant used with a steep angle.

This was a total surprise that a ”less-loved” blade could perform so well.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Congratulations on finding it!

I, too, have been scared by the reviews (and my avalanching horde of DE blades — worse than my search for a favorite guitar pic) and only had the tiger artwork left to tempt me before reading this.

Yes, the Tatra and the Tiger are the same blade. There was a thread where somebody got in touch with the factory and confirmed that they are just different branding. They are smooth blades for me... as they glide across my face and don't pick up any hairs! German Bolzanos feel about the same, but miraculously actually shave. The current Merkur and Muhle blades are both made in CZ so trying these Tatra Tiger blades saves some money. I have heard the Stainless version is a bit sharper, maybe they actually shave!? Sorry, glad you finally found a blade that works for you and is a bargain as well.

Thanks for all the extra info guys.

I will definitely try the other offerings by the same manufacturer. But, having learned my lesson, I’ll also try blades from other companies that I’ve been avoiding, like Derby and Dorko. Who knows, perhaps they will become my favorites.

A Fatip with a Tiger is a great combination indeed. I have had amazing shaves with them and as a result stocked up on Tigers. As you say the longevity is mixed (anywhere from 5-10 shaves), but it is smooth, no irritation, sharp to get the job done.

You mentioned Dorco’s. I have had excellent shaves with a Titan in my Fatip as well. Fatip also goes really well with KCG (very expensive blade I know): 30 shaves.

Enjoy your combination! I need to bring the Trigger back into my rotation!

Guido

Thanks for all the extra info guys.

I will definitely try the other offerings by the same manufacturer. But, having learned my lesson, I’ll also try blades from other companies that I’ve been avoiding, like Derby and Dorko. Who knows, perhaps they will become my favorites.
Derby Extras are brutal for me. I was thinking earlier today that I have a bunch that I need to send to David (@dmshaver ) for the GBE because I'm never planning to use them again.

I've heard good things about Derby Premiums, though.

I purchased 100 packs of both Tatra and Tiger Platinums. I agree that they are quite smooth and easy on sensitive skin. I do like them...even though they are not my sharpest blades. I cannot tell the difference between them, and have come to the conclusion that they are the same blade in different packaging. I have heard rumors that they are the same blade on several forums, but we would need an official confirmation from the manufacturer to prove it.

My understanding is that the two Czech platinum blades (Tiger and Tatra) are identical, just different graphics and branding. I think the Tigers are pretty good, not a top tier blade for me but enjoyable enough. BUT... I tried one of the old-school carbon-steel Tatra blades and it was without a doubt the single worst blade I've ever attempted to use. Torture. Never again.

Based on so-so reviews, it is not one I would not have purchased. It luckily came to me as a free sample with an order placed at Fendrihan.

I’ve tried a dozen or so brands over the years, and most made it onto my “will do” list that I could happily live with (in no particular order: Feather, Astra SP, Astra Stainless, Personna Platinum(Germany), Personna Platinum and Chrome Platinum(Israel), Van Der Hagen, King C. Gillette, and Nacet). Only two have been relegated to the “never again…rather go back to carts” list (Bic Chrome Platinum, and the Wilkinson Swords made in Germany).

So after all these years, and all these brands the first one to make make me say to myself ”ooo, that’s smooth” is the Czech made Tiger Platinum. It doesn't last quite as long as some of the others on the ”will do” list, but it’s more comfortable for a quick shave or times when your skin is raw or dry (i.e. harsh wintertime). It feels as though it might be a little bit narrower than other blades, or perhaps the corners (not the edges) are rounded over, whatever the difference, it feels good to me. BTW, my current goto razor is a Fatip open comb slant used with a steep angle.

YMMV is the words of the day, when it comes to razors, and especially razor blades. I use Wilkinson Swords from Germany, and to rate VDH over them, has got me speechless. I use Wilkies everyday, and find them smooth, close, and never any irritation. I pair them with a Parker 91R, and I get a DFS everyday. I usually do one pass, with minimal clean-ups. I use the bar soap on the sink lately, and get a really close shave with the bar of Ivory! I started with VDH, razor and blades, and they are not bad, for starters, but the Wilkies give me the shave I want! Till I found this web site, I didn't know any better! Expanded my shaving horizons, and have tried many blades, but settled on Wilkies, after I got the Parker as a gift from my wife for my 65th b-day. That's the thing about shaving, what works for one, doesn't always work for another!

What is the razor though?

What is the razor though?
Parker 91R-3 piece. Not overly agressive, but more so than the VDH razor. The Wilkies work well with it. Get at least 7-10 DFS out of a blade. Tried a slew of blades. VDH, Gillette Platinums, Parker Platinums, are a few blades that I will use IF i can't access Wilikson Swords. At this time I can get Wilkinson Swords at a local grocery, for $1.20 a tuck...

I agree with your assessment. I have tried many blades over the past number of years and finally settled on two that I feel are in the gold medal category: Tiger Platinum and Gillette Silver Blue. I did a blade trial a few years back and the GSB was the clear winner and then a few years later I picked up a free sample of Tiger blades from Fendrihan and was very impressed. Indeed I don't think I could pick a favourite between the two.

Top Bottom