What's new

10 Wet Shaving Virtues that I Don't Sweat

In no particular order.....

1) Pre-Shave Oils
2) Subbing Soap with Barbasol Origin (when in a hurry or lazy)
3) 3-Passes (one pass against the grain with touch up comes in handy for me sometimes)
4) Alcohol Splashes
5) Animal Hair Brushes that need to be broken-in while tolerating a foul odor
6) Light Agile razors (heavier the better)
7) Disassembling the razor after every use for aeration (quick alcohol wipe and new blade before every shave works for me).
8) Closing my Pores in the Post-Shave (wives-tale originally sold to women who wanted to look younger, this temporary effect just interferes with the follicles' / pores' natural function)
9) Citruses or Geranium scents
10) Using a vintage razor that has not been refurbished (If it's not re-plated I wouldn't use it).

What are your Top 10?

In no particular order.....

1) Pre-Shave Oils
2) Subbing Soap with Barbasol Origin (when in a hurry or lazy)
3) 3-Passes (one pass against the grain with touch up comes in handy for me sometimes)
4) Alcohol Splashes
5) Animal Hair Brushes that need to be broken-in while tolerating a foul odor
6) Light Agile razors (heavier the better)
7) Disassembling the razor after every use for aeration (quick alcohol wipe and new blade before every shave works for me).
8) Closing my Pores in the Post-Shave (wives-tale originally sold to women who wanted to look younger, this temporary effect just interferes with the follicles' / pores' natural function)
9) Citruses or Geranium scents
10) Using a vintage razor that has not been refurbished (If it's not re-plated I wouldn't use it).

What are your Top 10?
Oh my God - I'm so confused I'm so confused!! I'm going back to my electric razor[emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dunno if I can make it to ten, but I do love being crotchety.

1. Prep.
  2. Offensively strong, unpleasant-smelling "classic" soaps and aftershaves that "every man should have." Just because guys in the 1950s apparently had to stink after shaving doesn't mean that I do.
  3. "The ritual of shaving."
  4. Heavy razors.
  5. Any aftershave product without alcohol in it. No burn, no point.
  6. Rotations. Just pick a thing and use it, fer cryin' out loud.
  7. PIFs of things you have tried and don't like. No, I am not going to literally mail my garbage to some rando on the internet, nor do I want some rando to mail his trash to me.
  8. Badger brushes. I just don't get the appeal. The Wee Scot was useful until I found out that Vie Long makes a travel-sized horsehair.
  9. Vintage anything. There are a couple razors that are at least aesthetically pleasing--some of the GEM razors, the DE-style Durhams. The vintage Gillettes are just ugly, with the possible exception of blue-star Lady Gillettes, which at least have some midcentury-modern flair.
  10. Bowl lathering. Seriously, why?
Huh, ten wasn't so hard after all!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What I don't like ...
Cutting the bottom of my nose when I'm just not paying attention.

Everything else I can pretty much live with

For real though not ten but in order things I don't like about traditional wet shaving
5. Casual look at my MDC posts we get it's $65 shave soap well done sir.
4. People hating on cheap or mass market soaps I love my artisan soap too but Williams's is pretty awesome for $1
3. Russian blades YMMV but I just don't get the hype
2. People looking to blame their gear for bad shaves when it's more than likely technique
1. Pretentious advice or posts that take an awesome hobby way to seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Wet shaving" term.

Which of course is wrong,anybody that uses WATER when shaving "wet shaves" even if he uses a disposable razor and canned shaving foam.

Oh my God - I'm so confused I'm so confused!! I'm going back to my electric razor[emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32] [emoji32]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm confused, too. These are things you don't like, right?

Confused here as well, but that is not an unusual state for me.
I'm a bit fuzzy as to whether these are likes or dislikes as well. Could go both ways for some I suppose.

I'm confused, too. These are things you don't like, right?

More like generally accepted commandments that I don't care if I break from either all the time or on occassion...ie Animal hair brushes I will never break in when there are synthetics, while I occasionally will pass on a good soap for Barbasol when in a hurry or break the 3 pass rule (with, across, against) when in a hurry.

More like generally accepted commandments that I don't care if I break from either all the time or on occassion...ie Animal hair brushes I will never break in when there are synthetics, while I occasionally will pass on a good soap for Barbasol when in a hurry or break the 3 pass rule (with, across, against) when in a hurry.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I tend to do things my own way, too. :001_smile

My grumpy list in no particular order.
:001_rolle
1. Pre-shave oil, why?
2. Balms, do not like the greasy feeling.
3. Wasting a good blade by tossing it after one use.
4. The paranoia of over sanitizing everything. Clean it well when you get it (hot water/Scrubbing Bubbles/alcohol
wipe), that is it. Give them a polish once in a while.
5. Modern razors, either over priced or cheap materials (sometimes both). The razor was perfected in the 1930’s,
great design, materials, and craftsmanship; the modern attempts look too chunky by comparison.
6. Aquatic scents, too many of them can better labelled as “dead fish on the Beach”.
7. Some of the bizarre scents that artisans have been coming up with.
8. Giant scuttles, while the workmanship is beautiful, why have a large soup bowl on you bathroom counter.
9. Switching products every day. Use a product (piece of equipment) for at least a week to really get to know it and
how it works best for you.
10.The “Best” or “Worst” lists. That is why the “YMMV” line keeps getting posted. My worst may be your best, and
visa versa.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My Grumpy list:

1. AS with a "nice" burn. Are you kidding me??? People who like inflicting pain on their person should never meet me in a dark alley as I don't carry a change of pants.

2. Cheap crap: cream, soap, razors, etc. - you can keep all that cheap stuff to yourselves. And don't try to brag about your $1 soap that's just as good as the good stuff - you're not kidding anyone!

2. Expensive stuff - who needs to spend all that money for shaving - save it for something serious (like golf balls).

3. Face lathering. Seriously, who's so cheap they have to use their face for a bowl???!!!!!

6. Cleaning your razor like you're going to perform surgery with it tomorrow morning? See a shrink if you're that much of a germophobe.

7. Guys who use the same razor blade for 2,000 shaves. Get a job and buy a couple of 5 packs for crying out loud!

5. Guys who change the blade every day. That's right - every day!!! Just stop it.

9. Lists full of grumpy complaints about how some people do things differently than me! What are you thinking??? Probably not much! Just stop that, too.

You can thank me later, after you get your collective lives in order.

Reactions: pmj
1. Reviews (especially on Amazon) where people give their shaving life story instead of thoughtfully reviewing the product in question.

2. The mantra of technique (it's just shaving). Safety razors are designed to prevent you from messing up, hence the name safety. If you defy design, you either are using something that is dysfunctional, or you're a competitor for the Darwin award to me.

3. Top shelf gear. "A straight razor made from Excalibur, soap made from a virgin unicorn's milk and Gros Michel bananas, $120 aftershave one, $120 aftershave two, and (insert vague French name here) cologne". Just because you can, doesn't really mean you should. Top shelf gear performs just as well as other bottom shelf good products.

4. Blade sharpness. It's a RAZOR blade. They're all sharp. They either work for you, or they don't.

5. Apparently I need to add this one: People criticizing me for using some blades only once. I am insanely methodical. If it's out of my schedule, it needs to go so I can feel aesthetically right. Sometimes blades also just don't work out for me, and I'll be **** sure not to throw them away where the wife can find them and ask "Why waste money then?". Sometimes I need to get through a subpar supply faster then usual to move onto something better or drastically thin the herd.

6. The "all natural" hounds, especially ones that peddle ideas that have long since debunked or discredited.

7. Pile driving my brush in my soaps, bowl, and face. Lightly swirling is effective enough.

8. PIF-ing. It's fantastic if you want to help someone out by giving away stuff you don't use, can't use, or don't like. Not for me. That would be requiring me to spend just as much more money on something I didn't like in the first place. Rather suck it up or throw it away. I may be charitable with my own goods later on, but I'm not going to pay to get rid of something.

9. Glass bottles being better. Sure they're pretty, but I like my sturdy plastic bottles I can use and abuse as needed.

10. The infatuation with small businesses and artisans. They may be the little guy, but I'm not going to buy from them just because they're small or label themselves as artisans.

Top Bottom