What's new

10 Wet Shaving Virtues that I Don't Sweat

Disassembling a razor after each shave. I load the blade once for the week and good to go.

I was assuming that all you guys break down the razor after every shave to wipe it down and then dunk it in a jar of alcohol?

I know that most all of the YouTube shaving celebrities say that they break down the razor after every shave.

I'm of the mind I'll get the lions' share of scum and whatnot off with repeated dunks. The idea of changing the mechanical seating of a blade, if it's correct to begin with, is just playing the odds something will change: a hair lifts one end, a bit of soap scum gets moved into the cutting surface and dragged into a pore afterward, I cut my hands on the dis/reassembly because I've 'played the odds' I'll get away with it - again!

When I'm speaking of using a blade, I might get as many as 12 shaves with it these days.

(My arbitrary number, which seems to work by the way, in response to "How many shaves can a Man get from one blade." I might really get into it some day and try to see if I can get the count to 24, if I can learn to jhook without hearing the cutting sound. Seems to me, after getting past the bloody cuts, shaving could be performed the same way you want to "cut" food items - drawing a cutting surface along as like a very (very) controlled diagonal saw blade and not as like a chinese chef's knife (dragging perpendicular to the line of travel.) BtB: I am IN NO WAY SUGGESTING ANYONE TRY THIS. (It's just one of those "hypotheticals" 'Physicists' use to discover the way the universe really works!))

Merlin's Rambles.

Last edited:
My grumpy list

1.Birth year razors? Who cares.:)
2.Brushes...just buy one, any one...
3.DE blades, they're all the same except for Feather at one end and Derby at the other. They all work and don't need to be paired with a razor like a fine wine
4.DE collection? That has to be the most boring thing in the world to collect and display
5.Straight razors are cool, hones are just sharpening tools and not an art form.
6.Scuttle? Really?
7.DE blade collections? Really? The major difference is the wrapper
8.Your straight shave isn't closer than any other type of shave and probably not as close except on the cheeks
9.DE blades aren't so YMMV that you can't give advice to a new shaver. Astra and Gillette Silver Blue will work for most people
10.No one needs pre-shave oil
11.(11 is better than 10,right?) You don't need to tape the spine to hone a straight. If the razor lasted 100 years without tape it will last a few more without tape.

Reactions: pmj
My grumpy list

5.Straight razors are cool, hones are just sharpening tools and not an art form.

11.(11 is better than 10,right?) You don't need to tape the spine to hone a straight. If the razor lasted 100 years without tape it will last a few more without tape.

#5 - when you've honed your blade and it came out great but you don't know why... it's an art lol!! Kind oh like voodoo's an art. Just saying.

#11 - it's not about the spine! It's about the micro bevel!

LOL :001_rolle

1. AS with a "nice" burn. Are you kidding me??? People who like inflicting pain on their person should never meet me in a dark alley as I don't carry a change of pants.
Menthol burn isn't pain, its bliss.

Top shelf gear performs just as well as other bottom shelf good products
If that were the case there would be nothing but Mercury Tracers & Plymouth Reliants on the road

I know that most all of the YouTube shaving celebrities say that they break down the razor after every shave.
I'm of the opinion that most of them are on the take.

My list:
  1. Its only shaving, no need to get yer tighty whities in a knot over anything

Menthol burn isn't pain, its bliss.

If that were the case there would be nothing but Mercury Tracers & Plymouth Reliants on the road

I'm of the opinion that most of them are on the take.

My list:
  1. Its only shaving, no need to get yer tighty whities in a knot over anything
A lot people drink the cool aid because their told to in order to be a (wet shaver).

This incisive thread lay dormant for more than two years. Kudos to the previous post for its resurrection. “. . .it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us . . .”

My grandfather shaved with a straight razor and bar soap without a brush, although I wish he was still here, I would hate to have to tell him he was not wet shaving.

1. It's just shaving. At the end of the day, all you're doing is removing hair from your face.
2. I don't care about parabens.
3. Artisan soaps aren't always better than the mass produced long established brands.
4. I don't like spending anymore than 10 minutes shaving. That includes finishing up.
5. I don't care what temperature the water is when I'm shaving.
6. I have only been clean shaved a handful of times since mid 2015 and I don't care.
7. I won't spend more than $50 on a razor. I did once on a Weber and I didn't like it. I sold it not long after I bought it.
8. I can use a Bic Disposable razor and get a decent shave.
9. Pre-shaves did absolutely nothing to improve my shave so I stopped using them.
10. Most people who say they have sensitive skin don't actually have sensitive skin.

1. It's just shaving. At the end of the day, all you're doing is removing hair from your face.
2. I don't care about parabens.
3. Artisan soaps aren't always better than the mass produced long established brands.
4. I don't like spending anymore than 10 minutes shaving. That includes finishing up.
5. I don't care what temperature the water is when I'm shaving.
6. I have only been clean shaved a handful of times since mid 2015 and I don't care.
7. I won't spend more than $50 on a razor. I did once on a Weber and I didn't like it. I sold it not long after I bought it.
8. I can use a Bic Disposable razor and get a decent shave.
9. Pre-shaves did absolutely nothing to improve my shave so I stopped using them.
10. Most people who say they have sensitive skin don't actually have sensitive skin.
I agree with all but #6 , I guess not everyone drinks the cool aid.

I agree with all but #6 , I guess not everyone drinks the cool aid.
I think having a beard is more so "because I can." After getting out of the military, there's no one ordering me to shave, so I don't. I would be perfectly fine without a beard, it's not like it's a part of my personality.

I think having a beard is more so "because I can." After getting out of the military, there's no one ordering me to shave, so I don't. I would be perfectly fine without a beard, it's not like it's a part of my personality.
I go back and forth with a beard, when I don’t have a beard I shave everyday.

My previous post had a disdain for SE shaving. I've been getting tremendous shaves with some Gem razors so I'd like to recant that bit.

Top Bottom