What's new

10 Wet Shaving Virtues that I Don't Sweat

5. Apparently I need to add this one: People criticizing me for using some blades only once. I am insanely methodical. If it's out of my schedule, it needs to go so I can feel aesthetically right. Sometimes blades also just don't work out for me, and I'll be **** sure not to throw them away where the wife can find them and ask "Why waste money then?". Sometimes I need to get through a subpar supply faster then usual to move onto something better or drastically thin the herd.

I am with you on this one. I tend not to thoroughly disassemble and clean my razor/blade after the shave when I am on the go. I also shave every other day and by the time I get back to my razor the residue has hardened and it is easier to dump, wipe, replace. I think I only pay 8-12 cents/ blade so I am fine with that...particularly if using a mild blade like Derby, etc..

In no particular order.....

1) Pre-Shave Oils
2) Subbing Soap with Barbasol Origin (when in a hurry or lazy)
3) 3-Passes (one pass against the grain with touch up comes in handy for me sometimes)
4) Alcohol Splashes
5) Animal Hair Brushes that need to be broken-in while tolerating a foul odor
6) Light Agile razors (heavier the better)
7) Disassembling the razor after every use for aeration (quick alcohol wipe and new blade before every shave works for me).
8) Closing my Pores in the Post-Shave (wives-tale originally sold to women who wanted to look younger, this temporary effect just interferes with the follicles' / pores' natural function)
9) Citruses or Geranium scents
10) Using a vintage razor that has not been refurbished (If it's not re-plated I wouldn't use it).

What are your Top 10?

I see.

Obviously a DE shaver.
About 50% are not neccesarily my choices, but if that is what you want to do...

Suum quique.

B.

Glass bottles being better. Sure they're pretty, but I like my sturdy plastic bottles I can use and abuse as needed.
Yes, so much this! Glass bottles, soapy hands, tile floors, and bare feet do not mix. Aftershaves in plastic please.

10 things I don't...
1. Finding the perfect shave set up--there are so many combinations, it's just great to try out each possibility
2. Non-drying aftershave--by 3pm my skin gets so oily anyway, it's nice to have an oil free morning
3. Cinnamon in my shaving soap/cream--tried it once, will never again
4. Boar brushes--just not my style, love the badger, plissoft and horse but the pig doesn't get my love
5. Single edge razors--I've tried some Gem's and had an injector when I was younger but I like the flexibility of DE
6. People who can't select the correct compliment/complement--nothing to do with shaving, just a pet peeve
7. Those who keep parading those shiny looking razors I don't have yet--stop torturing me!
8. Faberge for discontinuing Woodhue
9. Deadlines, I hate stupid deadlines
10. Crickets and owls. It's hard enough to try selling brooms made by the insane without crickets and owls.

1. The "DE will never shave as close or as long lasting or as comfortably as a straight". That's nonsense.
2. The "must shave every day in order to conform to a definition of gentleman" routine.
3. Blade "chatter". Seriously? The micro-thin blade is held against the top cap during the shaving stroke. It doesn't flick back and forth or bounce around unless you're pushing the razor in the opposite direction in which case you're stropping it on your face rather than shaving with it.
4. The sensitive skin and very very coarse beard routine. Ya.... "mine's thicker than yours". It's stubble, it's coarse.
5. Can't get a good result with an ASD2 or any razor milder than an R41 or a Fatip because they simply are ineffective against my VVCB (see #4). Put the blade from the face peeler in the Tech and keep the cutting edge engaged during the stroke. Same results as the face peeler.
6. Loft, backbone, a millimeter here or there. Face lather brush, or bowl lather brush. Come on.
7. Vintage NOS blades. Why bother?
8. Vintage NOS Williams. Again.
9. SE razors and injectors that require sourcing unique blade designs from online sources/vendors when the DE blade can still be found anywhere including local brick and mortar drug stores.
10. Giant razor handles that look like the piston from a B.C. ferry. "My handle is bigger than yours".
11. The Weber wavy blade thing. Many of the much revered vintage Gillettes have this as well but no one ever talks about those after paying big money for them. Our faces are not perfectly level sheets of glass. The skin would easily conform to any microscopic deviation in the straightness of the blade. The constant complaints more than likely drove the manufacturer to abandon making the heads. A real shame as they were reasonably priced.

Last edited:
3. Blade "chatter". Seriously? The micro-thin blade is held against the top cap during the shaving stroke. It doesn't flick back and forth or bounce around unless you're pushing the razor in the opposite direction in which case you're stropping it on your face rather than shaving with it.

+1

One and only one:

A cartridge isn't as good as a DE.

Hah! No DE blade cleans up my neck as quickly and comfortably as my Sensor with standard non-Excel two blade cartridge. And very few DE blades clean it up as well either. I still prefer my DE razor not only because the blades cost far less but because I just like to use one, but there's nothing wrong with using my Sensor either. I get an outstanding shave every time, in less time.

Wow, what a thread. You're all crazy. All of my rules and all of the rules I break make perfect sense.

Sorry, have to go. The voices are telling me it's time to shave.

Reactions: pmj
In my opinion this is the best thread on the site, finally dethroning the 3017 thread. It should be pinned and newbies referred to it to counter some of the crazy advice that gets passed around.

TL;DR of this thread: it's fine. You're just scraping whiskers from your face.

Also, gotta disagree with @Laird's no. 9. Why would anyone possibly want to go through the hassle of a B&M when everything's readily available online, often one-clickable and Prime from Amazon?

And lol at no. 4! So true.

In my opinion this is the best thread on the site, finally dethroning the 3017 thread. It should be pinned and newbies referred to it to counter some of the crazy advice that gets passed around.

TL;DR of this thread: it's fine. You're just scraping whiskers from your face.

Also, gotta disagree with @Laird's no. 9. Why would anyone possibly want to go through the hassle of a B&M when everything's readily available online, often one-clickable and Prime from Amazon?

And lol at no. 4! So true.
Oh, I don't actually go to B&M's for blades, I do order them online. I meant the single edge stuff. There's only a couple of options for Schick injector style (mini-shaper) and then all the Kai and Feather single ones seem like more money for less choices. Just doesn't interest me personally. But hey, they might be the greatest closest shave known to mankind actually removing hair six to eight millimeters below the epidermis. BBS for a month. Way, waayyy closer than a straight.

I have to think about my list a little more, but I wanted to say something about PIFing.

IMHO a PIF should NEVER be something you bought, don't like, and just want to pass off one someone else. That, to me, cheapens the whole idea.

PAY IT FORWARD, to me, implies giving out the things you LOVE so that someone else can enjoy them. If I have more than one of something awesome, it gets PIFed. If I have something I love that just doesn't get used due to time and or life, PIF!

It's one of the things about this place I really enjoy.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Disassembling a razor after each shave. I load the blade once for the week and good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom