What's new

10:56 p.m. ET on July 20, 1969

Nearly everyone is aware of this historic event 50 years ago, of Neil Armstrong stepping out on the moon surface. I have enjoyed watching some of the documentaries on PBS showing the history of rocket development and steps toward reaching the moon. I did not realize that these first astronauts never returned to space again.

Any one got plans to celebrate? My local radio station is going to play Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon starting at 10:56 Saturday night. Seems like a multi-stage bottle rocket firing would be in order.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yep, well aware. I went to Wings Over the Rockies museum today, and they had a portion dedicated to the 50th anniversary. I timed my vacation perfectly.

I remember the space program, remember the launch, remember the landing, and the first step on the moon. And if I were a drinking man, I'd be deep in my cups by that time Saturday, because I remember the potential squandered away. This anniversary should be celebrated on the moon itself. We can't do that now. Likely we never will. The nation that once put men on the moon now worries about if their razor is woke.

I will be having a diner party with friends tomorrow. Assuming the clouds part, we will go outdoors with a high powered telescope for a lookie loo at the moon. The subject will be part of our conversations, given the interests of a few of us. A close friend was actually the first civilian from the west not otherwise affiliated with NASA, ESA or the Russian program to witness a Soyuz launch at Baikonur cosmodrome (he won a contest while teaching in Romania). He brought back some fascinating pictures and stories. This goes back 30 odd years but the most significant one was a mothballed N-1 rocket just sitting in a scrapyard on site, from which locals had been scavenging panels and other items down through the years.

I remember the Apollo 11 voyage very well and was fascinated from the Mercury program to present day. What kid in the 1960s didn’t dream of being an astronaut.

I’ll just think about that hot summer day being with my family and visiting my aunt, uncle and cousins. I kept trying to watch the tv and listen to the radio to get the latest updates. During the ride home, we kept the radio on in the car listening to the latest news. I must have asked my father 50 times if we would be home in time to see the moon walk.

It was a dream come true back then! What happened over the next 50 years?

We had a permanent space station called Skylab. It burned because cuts and re-designs delayed the space shuttle, and the US couldn't resupply it. We have sent robots to places where they explore a few kilometers at the most, even the Curiosity rover. And the last I heard (three to four year old info), even robotic missions have been cut. We remain locked onto this planet, no longer bold enough to go beyond low earth orbit.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Everyone knows that the so-called "moon landing" actually took place in a sound stage.

How in the aich-ee-double-hockey-sticks they got that sound stage build on the lunar surface I'll never know.

We sent robots to Mars, explored the furthest reaches of the solar system, built a permanent space station. Things like that.

Which is what we should have done.

We did the Moon.

Man finds no challenge in that which has already been conquered.

But we did not STAY there . . . and that is the next . . . the VITAL challenge. to create systems whereby we can reach out to the Stars, and become spacefarers as we were once seafaring.

Top Bottom