What's new

1 Piece OC vs. 2/3 Piece OC

The question I have is can I compare the shave of a 1 piece OC to any of the 2 & 3 piece razors I have or is it different in its own way?

I've always been a fan of the sturdy clean simplicity of the 2 & 3 piece razors and in particular the amazing shaves that come from the NEW Improved & NEW razors.

While I own a few TTO razors I have only looked from afar at the beauty of the 1 piece OC razors like the Aristocrats & Populars since I've tried to keep my individual razor purchases under $200 if possible.

I've come to the point where I've been considering just going for it and buying one if I see a lovely silver/rhodium that calls my name. Would I be getting one to actually shave with or if it shaves almost the same as one of my NEW razors will it be mainly just a display piece?

The only OC TTO I have is a Popular, and I paid a pretty penny for it. It's beautiful and I don't regret the purchase because I always wanted one. IMO the knurling is nicer than that of the Aristocrats.

Shave wise ... let's just say that I haven't been in a hurry to buy a #15 (supposedly they share the same head). It's a nice shaver but most of my NEWs are better.

Hard to draw specific comparisons. Aggression is all about blade exposure.

Go get a nice Sheraton or Senator and a New. You can get all three for less than $200.

It really depends on which TTO open-comb you get. I found the most 'aggressive' ones to be the Aritocrats: #15, '34, and '36 which are heavier razors compared to the Shearton and the Senator.
Regardless, you'll just have to try one for yourself to validate things.
Best of luck! :thumbup:

I really like my '36 Aristocrat, and I prefer its shave to that from any of my NEWs. Then again, I don't find the NEWs to be quite as special as many on this site do (YMMV and all). Don't get me wrong; I do like (and use) my NEWs, but I prefer the shave from quite a few other razors. So far, the '36 Aristocrat is my favorite vintage Gillette, and I've tried a fair number of vintage Gillettes (though, admittedly, not as many as some on this site have).

I haven't tried one of the British OC TTOs, so I can't compare them to the '36, but I would certainly like to...

Top Bottom