What's new

$1.50 Brand New Boar Brush

I was at Daiso earlier today when I noticed a small shaving section. As I browsed through the section, I noticed there were quite a few disposable multiblade razors. Then I saw a boar brush. It's on the smaller side, so it might be better for travel than regular home use.

Oddly, enough, I did not notice any shaving soaps. I'm curious to what Daiso supposes the boar brush is to be applied. 😁

Attachments

• 5BCD4CF4-B817-45E6-A983-61CCC1F7A857.jpeg
    5BCD4CF4-B817-45E6-A983-61CCC1F7A857.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 90

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to use something similar here in Australia. I bought the cheapest brush that I could to apply canned foams/gels. They were great cheap brushes at the time. I bought them from a discount shop here. Then I noticed that the handles were getting smaller and the knots smaller as well. They still sell them here bit I think that they cost $2.00 now.

I was at Daiso earlier today when I noticed a small shaving section. As I browsed through the section, I noticed there were quite a few disposable multiblade razors. Then I saw a boar brush. It's on the smaller side, so it might be better for travel than regular home use.

Oddly, enough, I did not notice any shaving soaps. I'm curious to what Daiso supposes the boar brush is to be applied. 😁

It is a known chinese model. I have seen it in Amazon sold under various names at 5-7 times the price you paid.

What do the Amazon reviewers say about it?

Unfortunately i don't know, because with covid, the item has disappeared. We have various shaving "shortages" ever since covid appeared and prices going up at the same time. But i remember seeing it. I don't think it had sold much, because at that price, it was too close to famous brand brushes, like Omegas and the Wilkinson. So one prefers to buy the Omega instead of the unknown chinese. However, for $1.50 it is definitely more competitive.

Someone found (on alibaba maybe) a 6 pack of brushes for like $2.50 back in the day if my memory serves. They were pretty funny. Literally fell apart in use.

Some eastern European company (Called jaguar or something like that I wanna say?) made a $1.50 boar brush that wasn't half bad, but was tiny. It was basically a plastic thimble with an ~ 14mm knot in it.

And then back in the day when VDH refreshed their line their old fist-sized plastic boar brushes (Which had been "surrey" brushes before VDH started selling them), got closed out for $1 each (MSRP was ~$5 range if memory serves). That wasn't a bad deal.

Generally though, I'd expect to pay at least $5-10 for a half decent brush.

Someone found (on alibaba maybe) a 6 pack of brushes for like $2.50 back in the day if my memory serves. They were pretty funny. Literally fell apart in use.

Some eastern European company (Called jaguar or something like that I wanna say?) made a $1.50 boar brush that wasn't half bad, but was tiny. It was basically a plastic thimble with an ~ 14mm knot in it.

And then back in the day when VDH refreshed their line their old fist-sized plastic boar brushes (Which had been "surrey" brushes before VDH started selling them), got closed out for $1 each (MSRP was ~$5 range if memory serves). That wasn't a bad deal.

Generally though, I'd expect to pay at least $5-10 for a half decent brush.
I have some VDH boar brushes (and badger brushes). I have both the green and black boar brushes. My main issue with all the VDH brushes is that they shed like crazy. Basically every shave at least one or two hairs will fall out. TBH, I'm kind of waiting for one of my brushes to shed enough hairs so I can replace the knot with a better one. 🙂

In the meantime, I bring the green boar brush with me when I get a haircut. I use it to help brush off the cut hairs that end up on my face, neck, and arms. Even then, the brush ends up shedding hairs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

At $1.50usd I don't think its a terrible loss if it doesn't work out, but could be a little gem, you never know. Now I'm curious too. On a side note it makes me wonder what the margins are like for brushes in general.
Agreed. But I'm not really all that curious as to how well it works. I might swing by and get one at one point, but I'm really suffering from a deplorable lack of curiosity. 😁

Top Bottom