What's new

ZIRH Shave Cream

I am not a cream guy by any means but this is my favorite cream to use.

Even though it is intended to be brushless, I still use my brush and love the slickness it gives me.

It is a bit expensive ($22.50 at sephora) but I love the smell, glide, after effects.

It takes some getting used to the cold feeling that the cream gives you but the shave was so good I didn't even mind it.
I have experienced a breakthrough! As a newbie I was thinking I was doing something wrong in not being able to whip up a lather with this cream. But the suggestion of dabbing the brush in the cream to apply is right on. Plus it make the process so much quicker. Had my first nick-free shave and was brave enough to complete 3 passes. From Zirh-o to hero in 4 shaves!
I put sufficient prep time into this shave, as I do with all others. I was incredibly disappointed. Not only was the shave extremely tough for me, my face was dry afterward (and I have oily skin). The ingredients are less than spectacular, and at 22.50, I fail to see the logic behind the price. For 2 dollars less, a cream like Barc absolutely dwarfs this Zirh stuff. My guess is that if you are spending over 20 dollars for shave cream, you want quality products. I do not recommend this one at all.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I must agree about it's use for travel. I travel most weeks Monday to Thursday or Friday as part of my profession. I always carry a tube of the Zirh shave gel with me. I know this is a review of the cream but I'd be surprised if the cream was of any less quality than the gel. For me it is the most convenient and effective shave gel or cream for travel. I believe that Zirh products are all top notch IMHO.
This is a great brushless cream. The tube is 100ml in line with TSA guidelines.
I personally don't care for the menthol? tone to the scent,
It shaves smooth and slick.Two passes. I add water to it as I apply it and it makes the shave better. No sting at all from my aftershave.

I got several 100ml tubes for a couple dollars apiece on clearance so I can't comment on price except it normally retails for $15 a tube and is pricey.
I am personally disappointed it doesn't lather but it is great for travel and does work well.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
no way
I scored a tube at TJ Maxx for $5. I loved the industrial look of the tube. I was disappointed that it was a foamless cream. SOOO, I started using it as a pre shave. I put it on in the shower right before I get out and then go about my business of drying off and whipping up a nice lather with something fun in my bowl and apply it right over the Zirh. Man that works great. The Zirh is super moisturizing and slick and feels interestingly cool. Plus I get all the pleasure of a rich lather. I repeat this process on all 3 or 4 passes.

I also use this same process with my other foamless creams like Burts bees, every man jack, Aveda mint gel (this is another great one). I will forever use this combination.

Now back to TJ Maxx to buy all the Zirh I can find at 5 bucks.
What will determine if you like this cream or not depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the luxury of shaving (ie, the prep, the brush, the scent), this is not the cream for you.
However, if you're looking for a quality product for irritation free shaving, I think this is one of the best I've tried.
I have tried all the classic and popular shave creams, and there are some great products out there. But none are better than the Zirh shave cream for the combination of sensitive skin and thick beard (I have both).
I gave it a 5 on scent, because there really is no scent.
While I can get a great shave with a brush using T&H, Trumper's, or AOS, I always end up with some degree of skin irritation.
But not with Zirh. Zirh does a great job of softening my beard and protecting my skin (I apply it brushless and let it sit a minute on my face before shaving - works great with shave oil if you're so inclined).
If I didn't have the sensitive skin/thick beard combo, I'd be using one of the luxury creams - but my priority is a close shave without irritation, and for that I find the Zirh Cream to work the best.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just tried a sample of this cream. Since I only had a small sample jar with no markings or instructions on it I tried like mad to get it to lather(with no effect of course) Personally, I feel like the Lathering aspect of the cream is a big part of the joy of shaving, so I probably wouldn't be inclined to buy a non-lathering cream. In addition to that, non-lathering cream would probably take much more cream to get an effective shave..

It might be a nice cream if used properly, but I don't think it's for me.
D
Let me start off by saying the the ratings can be a little misleading. Zirh shaving cream doesn't really have a scent, nor does it produce any lather. If I would have rated this shaving cream based on the topics, it's rating would have suffered.

Now, with all of that being said, this is by far the best shaving cream that I have ever used. Some of my past experiences include Proraso, AOS, CE, TOB, and Mama Bears Soaps. When using this cream, you must remember that it does not produce a lather. (Say goodbye to your shaving brush.) It goes on as thin layer of cream. My first impression of this cream was that it reminded me of wall plaster. (It's very thick and sticky.) When it's all said and done, Zirh shaving cream provides me with the closest, smoothest, irritation free shave that I have ever experienced. I would not recommend this cream to any individual who feels like their shaving cream has to be applied with a shaving brush. It's not going to happen with Zirh shaving cream. However, if you are up for a change and the best shave of your life, then I would highly recommend this cream.
This thread inspired me to drag out one of my last remaining "never used gift products" this morning from the cabinet. A tube if Zirh shave cream of course. I decided to give it a whirl. The setup:

• Prep - Hot towel soak on the beard
  • Merkur 38C with new Derby
  • Tube of Zirh shave cream
The cream doesn't have too much scent to speak of. As stated, Zirh by itself doesn't lather, even when rubbing it around on a wet face. It felt pretty weird after my switch to a brush & lathering. I felt like I wanted to completely cover my wiskers but ended up spreading the stuff around quite thin. This didn't cause any problems.

The shave was decent. I only did two passes so not as smooth as my usual three-pass plus touch-up. I didn't feel like I needed to splash anything on afterwards. The alum bar caused no sting.

Since you just open up the tube and smear it on, the shave went much quicker than usual (sometimes that is a good thing, most of the time I would rather enjoy the time spent).

I guess I was surprised I got decent results; assumed it would be a disaster.

I would consider using this stuff again when I'm in a rush or traveling. My only complaint is that this stuff gummed up my razor with lots of butterlike left-over zirh cream that was pretty tough to wash out after it dried up a bit.

Overall I think Musgo Real is a better-performing brushless cream with a better scent. But if you were ever in a jam you could go to the mall and get some Zirh and get good results.

Notes on ratings:
  • Price - gift unknown
  • Packaging - A silver tube, not a lot to write home about
  • Quality - went lower due to the gumming up of the razor
  • Latherability - went 7 to keep it kinda neutral. No lathering at all -not the point with this product.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've been using Zirh shaving cream for about 3 years without a brush. :eek: It works very well but there isn't any lather. I get smooth shaves after just 2 passes (WTG & ATG) including head shaving. I've even been using this with some C&E Sienna shave soap to add a little more comfort to those shaves and it works well there with a brush. Fine product that works well.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Let me be the first to knock it. IMO one would be better served getting an AOS cream that can be used with and without a brush. Aside from the fact that it doesn't lather, it also burned and made my face red. I have never had that happen with any other shaving cream.

I used one tub of this stuff before I learned about all the real shaving creams and wetshaving. Like I said, get the AOS or even KMF, TOM or any number of cheaper creams instead of this. I do like the scented aftershave and the cologne so I'm not knocking their whole line.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I will wholeheartedly second you on Zirh Shave Cream, canman23. Don't be surprised if before long someone comes along and tries to knock down your review on this one. I, too, love this controversial, no-nonsense, non-lathering shaving cream for very similar reasons. For those interested, be aware that this is a line focusing not on indulgence and luxury, but on industrial strength (too strong for some) product combinations meant to be used as a system to clean, protect, and prevent mens skin problems. Zirh products work so well they have been a staple of Hollywood makeup artists for a decade or so to keep stars looking like stars. But that kind of strength and efficacy has a downside. It is best to be informed from both sides on this particular line so you know just what you're getting into before you drop a substantial amount of money you might feel would have been better spent on more traditional products. But, if you feel you need what Zirh products are meant for and are willing to stick with them and use them as a system the way they are meant to be used I personally have found nothing that works better.

Price
Fairly expensive at $20 retail. It is best to buy it as part of a shaving combo from Zirh.com for about a 35% discount and google Zirh coupon codes for another 10-15% off.

Quality
Depends on your definition of "quality". This cream gives me as smooth a shave in 3 passes as any I've tried. If "quality" to you extends beyond smooth shaves to explosive lather and fanciful scents and packaging this one is definitely not for you.

Scent
Pleasant, clean "wake up cool" scent as stated but nothing fancy when compared to many of the other high end creams. I like it well enough, my wife likes it.

Latherability
Essentially a non-lathering cream, this has never stopped me from enjoying the use of my brushes. I use the brushes the very same way as described above to apply a thin, slick layer of cream between each pass. Afterwards, I feel the tingling sensation all day long, especially when I use a scrubby brush like the C&E Best Badger...a lasting clean feeling unlike any other shave cream I have tried.

Efficacy
Does what it is supposed to do very well, esp when used with the other Zirh products. My skin has never been clearer or more problem free. I still have a few of the fancier creams and continue to use them once in a while, but this has become my shave cream of choice. Again, this cream gives me as smooth a shave in 3 passes as any I've tried.

Moisturizing Properties
See above.

Packaging
Industrial looking low tech plastic tub. Nothing fancy here.

Overall
I feel very much as the above reviewer. In fact, it is because of the performance of the Zirh shave cream and aftershave that I became a diehard fan of the rest of the Zirh line (also controversial on this forum). For me, the Zirh products work so well at preventing irritation and blemishes, etc I have to keep my wife and daughter from using them up as they too have come to favor many of my Zirh stuff over their own various and expensive product lines.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is my very first review, so Ill try to do my best here. I didnt see a review for this cream so, I thought I give it one.

Price I paid around $22 for my jar of ZIRH at the mall at a store called Sephora in the mens section.

Quality I cant say enough about this cream. Out of the jar it's a nice thick cream that is very smooth.

Scent Smells great! It has a nice "wake up cool" smell to it. Not to strong at all.

Latherablilty This cream really isnt made for a brush. However I still soak my brush in the mug with hot water and dip it right into the jar of ZIRH. When I apply it to my face the hot water and the brush gives me a really nice warm (but the cream feels very cool to my skin) feeling on my face. It's a very nice combo of warm and cool on my face at the same time. I also get a really nice layer of lather that just feels great!

Efficacy This product works and if you have sensative skin like I do then you really should try this out.

Moisturizing Properties This cream used with the right amount of water gives me nice feeling and keeps my face moist during my entire shave.

Packaging Looks good to me. Nice jar that stacks well with the other creams I have.

Overall For me, I love this cream. I can't say enough about how it helps my sensative skin. The cool feeling I get when I'm done with my shave is great and when I give my face a splash of cool water it feels even better.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)