What's new

Woody's meat and potato bar soap

Ok. So I like this soap for showering. I enjoy the scent very much and I would agree it is a citrusy/woodsy aroma. As a shower soap it is very moisturizing and lathers pretty well. The bar is humongous and should last until the next olympics, or at least a while. Now, I hacked off a chunk and grated it into a bowl and figured I'd give it a shave try and see whats what. The verdict: eh. While it was not awful I did not think it was anywhere near what I get with the normal shaving soap (glycerin or otherwise). When I first lathered it up it seemed to go well and I had no trouble whipping it up, but I noticed that it does break down rather quickly and the lather is more the bubbly type than thick and creamy. I'll try it a few more times, but I'm not in a hurry. What I missed the most in a shave with this soap was a nice cushion. The soap is fairly slick and the scent stayed nice, but the shave was a bit rough (no injuries though). Anyway, I would definitely NOT recommend this soap for shaving, but would HIGHLY recommend it for showering, face washing, etc. The numbers I rated this soap for are based on shaving since this product review is here, but I feel this review should be in another area.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Nationwide Beauty Supply is selling it for $5.98 per 12 oz. bar. Shipping is around $10 so you will need to order a bunch to keep the per bar cost reasonable. Doug Rosso
Everything sounds great to try this out, but I'm hesitant after reading that one of its ingredients is Cannabis Sativa Seed oil. I'd rather not risk it having showed up in one of my work's random urinalysis.
This is definitely the most moisturizing soap I have ever tried. I use it as a bath soap, shampoo, face soap and occasionally as a shave soap. It works great for all four uses.

It is a little expensive and luckily I can find it locally and don't have to pay shipping. But if you are using it for four different purposes, then it really is worth it for the price.

The scent is really nice, although I am not a huge fan of citrus scents. But I actually don't mind this one. It isn't overwhelming at all.

The lather on this soap is incredible. Whether using it in the shower or as a shave soap, it produces amazing lather. It definitely is a huge bar of soap, so you can bet that it will last you a while.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Ok, the package arrived from barbershop classics in holland (great shop, recomended for european badgers) in record time, 2 days,

i open it, and the first impression is, this is a MENS soap, it was made by men for men, normal soaps come in wax paper, this evil **** comes in a meat tray, a stereofoam supermarket meat tray, and you look at it, its not a simple bar, it is a XL economy size soap, it looks like the chunk of soap our grandparents used to wash, shave and do the laundry, but theres a reason for this, Woodys grooming claims that this soap can wash you, shampoo you and shave you (might still require a razor), and they dont disapoint, it has a nice texture to it, has a nice wooden dark ambar orange semi opac colour which goes transparent when warm and wet, and a smell that is slightly citrucy, bit at the same time has a strong "out in the woods, like men" smell, i like it, its not that generic soap smell you get out of most soaps,

so, i´ve been using this soap on my body and hair for a week now, but i´ve only shaved with it once thanks to finding a half price tub of AdP cream (its hard to explain why you have 2 tubs of one of the most expencive shave creams around without use). as the soap comes in a serious chunk, you´re going to want to slice off handy sized bars or cubes and keep the rest in a nice dry and cold spot, preferably in a sealed container, you dont want to chop the whole thing up becuase it might dry or suffer other damage,

so, lets see, woodys grooming states that you can wash your body, wash your hair, and when your done, you break a chunk off and shave with it,

so, lets start with normal body soap, as stated, the smell is very nice, how a men should smell (except when wearing a tuxedo), the lather was good, it foams easly and gives a nice wash, rub it a bit between your hands and you will have enough to give yourself a nice pass, leaves the skin nice and smooth, i like it, better then what i used till now,

now the hair, my 3 prior shampoos were, head and shoulders, Lo´occitane tea tree oil shampoo and a special lavander shampoo for scalp problems, i do feel that this soap is better suited for greasier hair and might be a problem with my dry hair, but i have yet to seen any major problem or differance, i also cant make a fail and balanced opinion on it beciase i have a very thick hair layout, and my scalp suffers becuase of the density, and currently, im in dire need of a haircut, so for now, woodys soap has had only slightly better results then the bog standart head and shoulders, i could see myself using this regularly on my hair, that is, if it dosnt dry it out too much,

and for last, the shave, the lather was nice and slick, but it wasnt as good as the last soap i used, institute karite, also the shave wasnt as close as i wanted and i got a couple of weepers, but dont get me wrong, it is a good shaving soap, im just use to using creams latley, so sometimes i come up short with soap lathering, that why i recommend it as a travel soap, its a decent shaving soap, you can shave with it, its just not as good as tabac or IK, or maybe its just my lack of practice with soaps combined with me using a bar in my hand insted of a puck in a cup,

is it worth buying ?
it was a bit expencive for me, not becuase of the actuall price of of it, but becuase of the shipping of 2/3 of a pound of soap, had to order some more stuff to excuse the shipping price for it :tongue_sm ,
but truly, if you can carry piece of this soap with you insted of a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo and a shaving cream/soap (and you can, with no issue what so ever), its a great space saver for those of us who travel alot, my only complaint is that they should add fluoride to it so i can also wash my teeth with it :lol:.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
INGREDIENTS: Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Oleate, Lodium Laurath, Sodium Cocate, Aloe Vera Gel, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Cedarwood Oil, Sandalwood Oil, Sodium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cannabis Sativa Seed oil, Shea Butter, Tetrasodium EDTA, Teat Tree Leaf Oil, Iron Oxides, Yellow 10, Red 33.

Price: As a bath soap it is on par with the famous Porto Claus soaps (same weight as well; 12oz - 340g), but as a shaving soap it is damn cheap. You get it online for between $7-$11 and for the people in Europe, I ordered it from a Dutch online shop for €8.95.

Quality: It is the most moisterizing bath soap I used till today (I have yet to try Porto Claus which is about to be delivered) and make no mistake here, what they say on the site that you can use it as well as a shaving soap is more than true allthough I was sceptical at first.

Scent: I have the ASB of Woody's (review here), the shampoo, gel and this soap bar and they all smell the same so you don't have a mix of scents when you leave the bathroom.
The scent is citrusy and woody. My wife describes it as just manly.

Lather: It was when I first took a shower with this soap that I was already impressed about how easy it was to get lots of lather to wash myself (even more than a bar from Dove which probably everybody knows) and I was eager to try this for shaving.
A few swirls, dip the head a bit in the water and I started face lathering. Amazing how quick I got a dense, creamy and thick lather.
As always I leave the lather for 2-3 mins and the lather didn't vanish or dried out. (this is where L'Occitane fails miserably for me)
The shave was with a new Feather blade (my reference for testing soaps) and the shave was just fantastic. It seems that is soap is able to combine the positive things from soaps and creams. It provided a good cushion against the Feather blade and it was slick at the same time (with some soaps this seems to be mutually exclusive).
I always let the lather build up on the razor as I shave and when I rinse in a bucket of water, the lather must float on the water like a good cream in a cappucino (this is for me also a good indication about the quality of the lather). And this is exactly what it did!

Efficacy: Well, you can use this soap as a bath soap, as a shaving soap (try it really!) and according to the site also as a shampoo. I haven't done the last yet, but I could see me doing this on a trip for example. Now this is what I call an efficient allround soap!

Moisterizing: Are you kidding? You checked the ingredients did you?
As I mentioned before, it is the most moisterizing soap I encountered as a bath soap and now as a shaving soap.
Normally I use a splash (Proraso or one of the Italian Floïds) after the shave (or a balm during winter), but now I use nothing at all. The skin just feels good as it is and I want the scent to linger a bit.

Final Note: I grated half of the bar with a cheese grater, but this was kind of a mess allthough I did this with a tallow based stick before (Euro Palmolive).
It seems that this bar is full of oily ingredients and when the cat is coming by to see what you are doing you can imagine that some hairs are now included. :smile:
So, next time I will melt it very carefully (au bain marie).
And when I see the opportunity, I will provide some pictures.

Update: I promised some pictures so here they are.

View attachment 49782

Above: My setup. An adjustable loaded with Feather. A simple Wilkinson brush wich I inherited from my dad and is getting too thin (just enough to load for one pass but since I face lather, this is no problem). I devided the soap. One part I grated and with the other I shower.

View attachment 49784

Above: Only after 1 minute. Look how thick and creamy this lather is. Not airy or runny at all.

View attachment 49785

Above: The lather on my arm.

View attachment 49786

Above: After squeezing out the remaining out of the brush. A good steady mountain of lather.

View attachment 49787

Above: This is the lather I squeezed out before and putted on top of a bowl with hot water. It really does look like a nice cream in a cappucino doesn't it?

This review is getting lengthy, so I'll stop here. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing