What's new

Witch Hazel: Cheap WalMart Generic (Aaron Brands)

I got my bottle from Wal mart and it works but Dicksons and Thayers smell better and give me better results. I do agree with the first poster if you wanted a base for home made AS then the Wal mart brand would work for you.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I use this right after my shave and before appling AS. The smell was rough at first, but you get used to it and with a few drops of essential oil (eucalyptus for me), it really gets better!

I can't say that if I didn't use it I would miss it, but I figure for the price and the proven results WH gives it doesn't hurt to have it in the lineup.

I did decant mine to a cool old bottle with a vintage label and cork stopper, so it's fun to display it and use it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
No frills witch hazel. I put this on my face every morning and love it! It calms things down quickly and works like a charm.
I have used Dickinson's Witch Hazel and have purchased the Rite Aid Witch Hazel. No difference in quality. I am sure the Rite Aid is similar to the Wal Mart. In any case, witch hazel is the best and least expensive way to soothe the skin, fight razor burn and ingrown hairs. I do a witch hazel splash after shaving. Let it dry for a minute and then do my alum block. After that I apply my after shave. I only get an alcohol, ever so mild, if I have pressed down too hard and have not watched my technique.

Witch hazel is great, generic or branded!:thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Just a hair less "pure" or clean-smelling than T.N. Dickinson's for about 1/2 - 1/3 the price. Actually, blindfolded, you probably couldn't tell them apart.

The smell is earthy---almost a bit smokey, but I like it. It goes away really fast.

This is great for waking up your face in the morning, a general soother after a shave (the 14% alcohol doesn't burn much at all), and, on a cloth/paper wipe, a way of refreshing your face, neck or, er, other parts of your body that might get sweaty or grimy.:blush:

At $1.49/16 ounces...its well worth a try. You can use it liberally and not feel bad about it.:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: flawless. Probably the cheapest aftershave you could find, a couple of bucks for 16 fluid ounces.

Quality: I only deducted points because it doesn't have some of the amenities of the fancy stuff: scent, nice bottle, that sort of stuff. Nor should it have that at this price, it is a great product.

Razor burn: Very soothing product, in fact soothing small cuts is its primary use. You can find it in the first aid aisle.

Cooling Sensation: I notice some slight pleasant coolness. Not icy or anything, but it is toning.

Scent: Unscented product. The smell might strike you as funky. I recommend you use it anyway. The smell doesn't linger, and you can wear fragrances over it.

Efficacy: Perfect. It works as well as anything.

Moisturizing: I guess this might not moisturize. I use it because of that. It tones, it clears up acne, and it soothes. It doesn't have much alcohol and it doesn't dry excessively, but I guess below average.

Alcohol Burn: Practically no burn. You'll sort of know where you nicked yourself badly, but I don't mind.

I recommend putting this into a 3 oz. shampoo-style bottle from a drug store. That way it can go with you on a plane or in an overnight bag. Plus the shampoo-style pop-top will prevent you from accidentally bathing in the stuff when trying to measure out a dosage. Of course this stuff is so cheap that you can afford to waste it, but it's so effective that you won't want to.

The idea about using this as a base in a home-made after shave is quite intriguing, I may have to steal it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I've never written a review on B&B, but when I saw this one I couldn't resist. When you look at my ratings, you may get the impression I'm not crazy about this stuff, which isn't the case. Dirt cheap and I absolutely love it. I don't use any other aftershave splash, just an alum rubdown and this, followed by some ASB.

I bought my bottle at Walmart along with a 79 cent travel squirt bottle. Easily the best pocket of change purchase in my shave routine.

Price: Pull up one of your couch cushions, remove change, purchase product.

Quality: Fantastic in my opinion. I also have not purchased any of the other witch hazels in snazzy bottles that cost five times as much, but since I have no intention to I'll nod this off as awesome.

Fights Razor Burn: Works as a great astringent and razor burn blocker. Makes your face feel tight and your pores closed.

Cooling Sensation: There really isn't any cooling sensation to speak of, which in my opinion is a good thing. I gave it a five simply to be neutral.

Scent: Smells like woody ****. However, the smell dissipates very quickly and becomes less noticeable the longer you use it. I know some people add other aftershaves to it, but I haven't tried it.

Efficacy: Don't feel bad, I don't know what it means either :001_tongu

Moisturizing: None to really speak of, but it isn't expected.

No Alcohol Burn: You may experience some burning as a great indicator of the quality of your shave (or lack of).
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"

Price - It could be better. They could pay you.

Quality - No complaints, it works like, er, witch hazel.

Fights Razor Burn - It's not a soothing foo-foo balm, but it soothes the savage shave.

Cooling Sensation - If you want that, better keep it in the fridge.

Scent - Not really, but if it's good enough for Deputy Barney Fife....

Efficacy - See "quality".

Moisturizing - Maybe a little.

No Alcohol Burn - Yes, alcohol burn. Just the right amount. Nice!

This stuff is cheap. This stuff is good. You can use this magic potion as a base for scented after shaves...just add your own smell nice device, a little glycerin if you want to get all fancy, and presto! You are Mr. Custom MacGyver After Shave man!

No knocks against the spendier, scented witch hazels. No need to invoke the famous ClubmanRob "it's gotta have alcohol to be real witch hazel" law. No need to show the bottle to anybody.

Just put on a cheap disguise, go to WallyWorld and when you get home, decant to a fancy bottle and lift your pinky a tad when you splash this on.

No one will know.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn